The Generation One Toys Appreciation Thread!

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Superquad7, Jan 15, 2012.

1. brr-icy

brr-icy MP Collector

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Micros are the central part of my collection. In location etc

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 7
  2. Destron79

Destron79 Transforming gunslinger

Hi guys, I just received a complete Jaruga and I have a terrible doubt: although it was advertised as 100% genuine Takara by the eBay seller, I'm afraid the red missiles could be repros. Does anyone have those repros and know how to distinguish them from the originals? I checked a few pictures around the internet, but they weren't much help. The only thing I noticed is that sometimes the missiles appear to have a small empty slit in the underneath part, other times they seem not to.
    Thank you for your help!

3. brr-icy

brr-icy MP Collector

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    under the missiles should be hollow

4. Destron79

Brr-Icy, hi! I saw this picture of yours where the underneath of the missiles is not hollow.
    There are variants in the missiles. Check my post below.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 22, 2016
  5. Destron79

So, I directly asked the seller. He told me the Jaruga I bought originally came out of a Liokaiser giftset he got from Japan some 15 years ago.
    Thus, they can't be repros. He added that, having owned several Jarugas during the years, he noticed how the colour and shape of the missiles and of the Brestanimal's legs sometimes look different.
    I feel a lot better now :D 

6. dedguy

dedguy Well-Known Member

Hey question for you guys. Is the Platinum Trypticon reasonably comparable to the G1 release? He's on my radar for my currently small G1 collection and debating which version to go for. My LCS has an original Trypticon on display in what looks like good condition but I haven't asked to see him out of the case. The price is good so that's certainly an option as well.

7. jeffafa

jeffafa Unknown Member

I would love a display case like that. 3or4 of those and I might be able to finally display my entire collection

8. lazerface

lazerface Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I have the original G1 version loose, and have compared it side by side to the Platinum reissue (I never took it out of the package... just took a close look at it through the window). All the colors on the reissue bot looked spot on. It's kind of hard to tell without feeling it in hand, but I couldn't see any problem with the plastic quality. The only real difference I noticed is that the original has gold paint for the eyes, while the reissue has kind of golden-green stickers instead. If the sticker eyes really bugged you, it seems like it would be easy to find a junker from 1986 with a decent head, and swap it out.

All the little silver accessories are slightly different shade for the reissue. The original is kind of a swirly silver, while the reissue is more of a dull matte grey. It's not really something you would notice unless you have the originals side by side.

I've read that the sticker set for the reissue had some trouble sticking. I don't know for sure. This could be resolved with a reprolabels set.

If I didn't already have a great original, I would probably be totally happy with the reissue.

9. Fenrir Zero

Fenrir Zero Permanently Retired (1984-2020)

I have to say that out of ALL of the vintage packaging... THIS is my favorite. But, then again, MegaZarak was my favorite JG1-based Destron Headmaster before Galvatron had made the scene.
    And granted, I prefer seeing it contain a little more of the 1987 style. And that is only because the white feels a tad bit off. But even then, the image of BlackZarak and its toy modes has on me over. :thumb 

10. dedguy

dedguy Well-Known Member

Thanks for the response. Regardless of which I pick up I'll probably be getting the Reprolabels anyway as they seem to almost always be better quality than mass market stuff.

11. TheSupernova

TheSupernova Out there. Thataway.

News Credits:
    [​IMG]

The latest TF to go on office desk duty. I'm definitely re-appreciating this guy after being in the storage bin for the better part of eight years.

I'm also starting to think I could do with a few more 84/85 Autobot cars in my life...

• Like Like x 5
  12. BottleOfFuture

BottleOfFuture Weaponizer

So how are g1 combiners- mainly the scramble style ones? I've got a ton of combiner wars stuff and I kinda want to try out the stuff that pioneered the scramble city system. I'm thinking of getting an Abominus because I like zoids style beast modes and he never got a cw update. What am I in for?

13. Fenrir Zero

Fenrir Zero Permanently Retired (1984-2020)

Pretty much... The Scramble City (which is Metroflex/Metroplex's JG1 city mode name) era combiners are quite interesting. You still have the leader being the core body (with Grand Galvatron being the rare case here). But the limbs themselves can swap locations! Namely, an arm can become a leg. And this was something, most noted through this continuity's fiction, that had seen an upgrade by the time Operation Combination was introduced. So pretty much it is just that. You can swap limbs for different combinations and styles. And the only one to one-up this is King Poseidon. And that is because the remaining character becomes a Targetmaster.

I hope this helps. :) 

14. 80sboy4

80sboy4 Well-Known Member

I have both original G1 and the recent Platinum reissue, and the plastic on both feels the same, the purple on the reissue is darker, the teal on the G1 is a little darker, the foot forks have been slightly modified on the Platinum reissue so Trypticon can walk more straight than the G1, which wobbled a little side to side..

Also...when walking, the reissue is slightly slower then the original...but the difference here isn't to noticeable, and the Platinum reissue is quieter when walking then the G1, which was quite loud...at least on mine, and the silver parts on the Platinum as more of a flat silver plastic, whereas the G1 has a slight swirl in the plastic...and the eye color seems more gold chrome than the Platinum.

Overall you can't go wrong with either....hope this helps. :) 

15. tusko

tusko Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Flickr:
    I don't have any complete G1 Combiners. I do have RID Ruination, and it is a great toy.
    As mentioned there is a lot of mix and match play with them. While Jazz stands alone as a super toy, the Scramble City toys are between in a group.
    [​IMG]
    These guys sometimes jump into the hodge-podge of G1 and KO's kicking around. Still even without the feet and hand parts, the body and limbs are fun to interchange.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

16. Dolza_Khyron

Dolza_Khyron Well-Known Member

that turtle's got rockets! it's cute. he's trying to be iron-turtle.

17. slideshot

slideshot Well-Known Member

The nice thing about Abominus is that the leader, Hungurr, is also a pretty decent bot on his own, with a lot more articulation than most all of G1 due to how his beast heads/legs were made. The limbs, however, are pretty much blocks of plastic with beast arms and legs attached (to this day, no one has been able to tell me what Blot's beast mode is supposed to represent).

Watch the heads/connection points on the G1. They tend to break off in the sockets of the leader bot.

• Like Like x 1
  18. dedguy

dedguy Well-Known Member

Much thanks for the additional insights. Definitely leaning towards the re-issue now.

19. Maz

Maz Square One TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Tumblr:
    I hope this won't be a faux pas (and I promise not to make a habit of this), but G1 Targetmaster Scourge and Blurr's Nebulans go really well with their new Hasbro Titans Return/TakaraTomy Transformers Legends counterparts...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

All the best
    Maz

• Like Like x 1
  20. dedguy

dedguy Well-Known Member

This might also be a bit of a faux pas but the Mastershooter Targetmasters go well them as well if you don't mind delving into third party.

I'll take pictures in the morning but I finally got the weapons for my Skalor and Blot. I got both for $10 each in good condition from my LCS but he only had the backpack for Blot so I had to resort to ebay to get them 100% complete. A little money and time later and now they're 100% complete. The stickers on both are in decent shape though I'd like to replace them. I don't plan on buying the whole team for either so buying the Reprolabels would leave me with nine figures worth of stickers I don't need :( 

My Doublecross is also incomplete. I'm not sure I even care to get it. The gun seems to go for way more than I'm willing to pay on ebay at least. I wonder if it's so seemingly rare as it doesn't really have a good place to go in dragon mode and the dragon mode is so much more superior to the robot mode. Pretty sure as a kid I lost his gun early as well.