The Generation One Toys Appreciation Thread! (Only Donuts Post Here!)

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Superquad7, Jan 15, 2012.

1. Chefdova

Chefdova Nerd alert

Ebay:
    That's exactly the feeling I'm after when looking for these :) 

• Like Like x 1
  2. pilot00

pilot00 Well-Known Member

Do we post things about 86 Go bots here as well or not? Well its more of a question really rather than a post.

3. Chefdova

Chefdova Nerd alert

Ebay:
    I certainly hope not!

4. pilot00

:peoples:  Alrighty then.

5. Turbine027

Turbine027 Boys or Toys? BOTH!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Just throw in a G1 bot in the pile ;) 

• Like Like x 3
  6. mcart

mcart Lighter shade of dork

News Credits:
    Kicking the go bots preferably :D 

• Like Like x 1
  7. pilot00

Meh, I just wanted to ask a specific naming/info question. I just found that it was a go bot about a couple hours ago myself.

Why the resentment if I may ask? I have 0 experience with the line, but that thing I found in my collection is defo a thing of beauty.

8. Prime of Shadows

Prime of Shadows Bearer of the Dead Matrix

YouTube:
    Diehard G1 fans, my friend. To them, Go-bots are cheap knockoffs and practically heresy. To me Go-bots are ok but G1 steals the show every time:rolleyes: 

• Like Like x 1
  9. UndertakerPrime

UndertakerPrime I see the story in your eyes...

What was your Gobot question? You can PM me or start a new thread if you prefer. People make ID/info threads all the time.

• Like Like x 1
  10. mcart

mcart Lighter shade of dork

News Credits:
    Just light hearted ribbing, no offense intended. The long story is that back in the day if you liked gobots you were a loser because they were a Transformers knock off....

Now most of us have moved on from the 5 year old mentality (not all, I'm afraid) and also we are aware that gobots actually came first but were just not as successful.

I loved gobots as a kid but I didn't dare admit it, I had enough problems already, lol.

Anyway ask away, go bots were purchased by Hasbro and retconned into G1 so technically it counts ;) 

• Like Like x 3
  11. Cattus Doctus

Cattus Doctus Whiskered Questicon

Technically, no...

...but this would work. :) 

And if you're looking for information, this is a great site on all things Go-Bot:

Counter-X >> Gobots >> Index

• Like Like x 2
  12. Liokaiser1989

Liokaiser1989 Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    I don't dispise Go-bots. I started off watching Go-bots in the early 80s. Their transformation was easier to make sense than the Transformers. Howvever, they disappeared very quickly too, can't even get it on VHS that time. I was introduced to Transformers then.

G1 Takara R Rodimus Prime.JPG

EDIT 09/10/17: MISB

Last edited: Oct 9, 2017
    • Like Like x 6
  13. pilot00

Thanks for the info tips. I dont know if they looked like TF KOs (I have a large cache of those) but the specimen I unearthed easily puts to shame a lot of the G1 bots.
    I never watched the Go bots, or have any attachment to them btw.

I made a little inquiry and apparently it is the Go bot Throttle. My question was why mine was silver, because it was supposed to be blue, but apparently the European release was silver.

14. Smokescreen38

Smokescreen38 Fight fire with smoke!

News Credits:
    You may be mistaken about that last point...If you cut the tape, it's no longer going to fetch close to MISB value. Proceed at your own risk! :D 

If you're talking MIB (not sealed) Hasbro vs Takara, you may be right since the torn Hasbro bubble may possibly deter some collectors where the Takara one can just be placed back into the foam tray...

Personally, I love these things both for being amazing an beautiful toys AND for the sense of nostalgia over seeing one in the box. Because of that, it's North American Hasbro release for me all the way but ANY MISB G1 Transformer will stop me in my tracks.

Ok...awesome piece but those pictures made me smile. While I'm guessing that it's unintentional, I absolutely LOVE the geese on the curtains in the background. That's just perfect!

Well...I think many of us are well past this now. GoBots have a vastly different appeal but they're lovable and desirable collectors' pieces on their own merits. The standard 1:64ish vehicles are usually stupidly simple but they're still fun and interesting. Some of the larger figures are surprisingly nice. IMO, the marketing and fiction for Gobots was goofy and childish. I believe that the sense that Transformers were more mature, sophisticated and serious made a huge difference back in those days.

• Like Like x 2
  15. Prime of Shadows

YouTube:
    That was exactly my point, an MIB figure already has the tape cut, and Japanese styrofoam is easier to manage than Hasbro’s odd bubble format. Well, I say easier...;)  That’s why I prefer MIB, I gotta be able to mess with the figure (and again this is my personal, honest opinion; not trying to offend or start arguments) or else it feels like I wasted my money.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Smokescreen38

News Credits:
    Gotcha...I totally agree with that . I thought we were talking MISB.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Prime of Shadows

YouTube:
    Yeah we were, the question was USA MISB vs Takara MIB and I went with Takara. It’s like buying a poster, I just can’t bring myself to buy it if there’s nothing I can do but look at it.

18. Smokescreen38

News Credits:
    This is a great point. The primary thing that makes TFs cool is that they can change form. If you never touch the thing, it might as well be a toy car or truck or whatever.

Then again, there's something to be said for observing "potentiality" and knowing that inside that box, there's a treasure that is untouched by human hands since being packaged however many years ago. Also, some people appreciate them as art. The presentation of a new figure in an untouched box alongside its box art is genuinely beautiful.

I can see it a number of different ways.

I own ONE MISB G1 TF. I found a pretty good deal on an AFA graded G1 Pointblank (one of my favorites). There are a few others that I'd like to own but for the most part, an MIB Takara copy would make me just as happy.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Prime of Shadows

YouTube:
    I can agree with the art aspect, I’ve been tempted multiple times for that, but as a guy who grew up needing the television on while he transformed his entire collection over and over, I just need the tactile stimulation of a transformer. Triple stimulation, or I get bored:( 

20. geekatron prime

geekatron prime The guy that taught Megatron everything he knows TFW2005 Supporter

That's what happens when you let your gf & mom choose the curtains for your home. :D 
    No complaints. Thought it was funny myself. :) 

• Like Like x 2