The Generation One Toys Appreciation Thread! (Only Donuts Post Here!)

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Superquad7, Jan 15, 2012.

1. barry

barry Like a Kind of Matador

News Credits:
    So while Astrotrain was my favourite of the Decepticon Triple Changer toys, Blitzwing was the one who had the coolest look in the cartoons and comics. He looked like the archetypal Decepticon soldier, almost as iconic as the Seekers. In fact he kind of looked like Seeker plus in many ways. Plus he had shades! Any robot with shades was an instant hit with my little 1980's self.

Blitzwing is an oddity amongst the Triple Changers, but at the same time characteristic of his Diaclone heritage, in that his robot mode is the least fully realised of the three. It's not bad, but it's not great. The way the wings are on the same level as it arms makes it look like he's wearing a coat that just far too big for him. And of course they're very stumpy arms, only articulated at the shoulder. His hands are quirky in that the gun can only go in his right hand and his sword in the left. His head seems a little squashed and I've never been a fan of his face being the same shade of dark purple as the rest of him. His spindly little legs and tail fin feet don't really work for me either. I do like the tank barrel sticking up behind his head but that's kind of it.

But I loved his tank mode! It is an excellent little toy tank and was so much fun to roll around, spinning its turret hither and yon. there's a couple of things that could have improved it, namely hiding the pet cockpit a wee bit better and some better molding on the tank tracks either side. But seriously, if you fixed those two things I'd consider this a flawless alt mode. I can't recommend the jet so highly. It's pretty cool but it's just so boxy and un-aerodynamic. Even as a kid I knew a plane wouldn't work very well if it looked like that. I do like the diecast tail fins though.

I'm not sure what I think about Titans Return Blitzwing. In a couple of these posts I've talked about my admiration for Hasbro resisting the urge to update a character model for the sake of updating a character model. It's been great to see the likes of Perceptor, Seaspray and Trypticon stick to the old character model or toy look and just update the engineering, detail and articulation. Blitzwing almost feels too slavish to the old toy.

A lot of it comes down to that deep purple on the face. I'm obviously more used to seeing the lighter shade of face under that yellow helmet. It's such a weird look, possibly only to my eye. Casting my eyes over my G1 shelves there's very few bots that have a face that's darker than the helmet, in fact apart from Galvatron Blitzwing is the only one that catches my eye. That said, I love the super G1 toy accurate sword.

Oddly, despite this gripe, my other problem with Blitzwing in robot mode is that he's somewhat over rendered. He's got a remarkable amount of very granular detail all across his torso, legs and arms. It reminds of everything I disliked about the Image comics from the early '90's, where every single panel would be so over worked that you'd walk away from the comic with a nervous headache. What can I tell you? I grew up with Kevin Maguire's smooth work on the Justice League comics and the likes of Steve Yowell and Steve Dillon on various 2000ad strips. The OTHER thing that bothers me is those arms. They're kind of a mess! They manage to be both too think and too bulky all at the same time.

And if the robot mode is problematic...

The tank mode is really well conceived. The design is clever as far as trying to accomplish the trick of hiding both the plane and robot. I personally would have liked to have seen a bigger tank barrel but I'm glad the turret rotates. But oh my god, it tabs together so incredibly badly. It's all I see when I look at the thing. The panels that sit on the back of his calves pops up, and the shins won't tab into the thighs, which mean the under carriage is so uneven that it won't roll, the shoulder tabs constantly pop out. If I ever wanted to have some sort of diorama where there was a blown up tank this would be great. I've seen other people say that it just requires many, many transformations before it all sits flush, so I look forward to mine working well in the year 2025.

The jet is much better. It still feels like it's about to pop apart at any second, but the fact you can force it to stay together a bit better by tabbing the gun in is a bit of a consolation. It really does look good though and wit sit comfortably next to a set of Voyager class Seekers (hint hint Power of the Primes). It has the inevitable triple changer kibble with that lumpy tank track/arms hanging around under the wings, and looks super awkward in profile, but it's clear that a lot of care and attention has gone into this.

I can't help but wonder why Blitzwing is such a hard one to get right. We only have to look back at the Thrilling 30 model to see how badly it can go wrong. I can't imagine myself wanting to add a third Blitzwing to my Generations collection, so it's not like I'm eager for them to take another crack. For all his flaws, this guy is going to be standing on my CHUG shelf for years to come.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 5
  2. UndertakerPrime

UndertakerPrime I see the story in your eyes...

Wow, that thing is pristine. And without the stickers it just looks so...clean.

Out of the earlier G1 toys, I always thought Blitzwing had one of the more impressive transformations. The way he goes from jet to tank is like magic. Show the two alt modes to a non-fan, and tell them it's the same toy, they'd think you're crazy.

I see you have the tank mode facing the proper direction :D 
    I've always been big into toon-accuracy, so I will always have the tank facing jet nose-first. It wasn't until I was an adult collector that I learned the toon tank model was technically backwards o_O 

• Like Like x 1
  3. barry

News Credits:
    I think this is the first time I've had a response telling me I've got the transformation right. People usually send a reply going "you've mis-transformed his arms", "you're supposed to extend that in car mode", or "stop it".
    To be fair, me getting this right was probably a bit of a fluke. I might have just been trying to get it to look close to the TR tank mode.

4. UndertakerPrime

UndertakerPrime I see the story in your eyes...

Honestly, a few years ago I might have thought the same thing, that you had the tank backwards. Pictures of the real-life tank the toy is based on, however, show that the jet-nose-first orientation is incorrect.

If it would make you feel better, I can give you the rude, knee-jerk reaction you seem to be used to...
    *AHEM*
    "You haz the tank mode backwardz!! EVERYBODY knows how it SHOULD be! Clearly you know NOTHING about Transformers and you are not a TRUE FAN! This is an Earth-shattering and reality-bending mistake and you should feel bad!"

There, that sounds about right
    ;) 

• Like Like x 3
  5. barry

News Credits:
    Pitch perfect!

6. microclone

microclone Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I don't know much about its history but it's probably the nearest I've seen a G1 transformer be C10 that was not just removed from the box, along with the nighbeat I got from the same seller I'm not sure either of them were ever transformed! They both reside in my detolf, I may reprolabel them if I feel the old stickers have deteriorated any.

7. Prime of Shadows

Prime of Shadows Bearer of the Dead Matrix

YouTube:
    Ah man Brainstorm and Highbrow are the only two 87 headmasters I'm missing, even TFcon last year didn't have any for a decent price. So jealous!

8. microclone

microclone Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    typically I like to buy C7-9 pieces so you don't have to treat them with kid gloves and get them for a reasonable price, however when this one came up I figured I'd pay a bit more and just get a shiny example, he's probably my fave headmaster, I am actually looking for just highbrow to complete my set!

• Like Like x 1
  9. barry

News Credits:
    Octane was the only one of the Decepticon Triple Changers that I never saw as a kid. Naturally this meant that I totally built him up in my mind. He must have been cool right? He also featured in one of Furman's best opening sequences; Octane briefs Straxus on a raid led by Optimus Prime, returned to Cybertron to galvanise the Autobot resistance. Of course he tells his commanding officer of how bravely he fought against the Autobots but each panel contradicts his words. It's a simple trick, and I'm about 95% certain that he stole the idea from an old Alan Moore Captain Britain or Swamp Thing comic, but it works brilliantly and it seemed fresh and subversive to my eight year old eyes. It's such a great little scene and was rendered so well by Will Simpson that I can close my eyes I can picture Octanes grabbing the other bots arm and his cool, bug eyed shades.

The only thing that G1 Octane has going for him is that he's the biggest of the Triple Changers. Otherwise he's a mess. To describe the things he uses to stand up as legs is a hideous insult to legs on both Earth and Cybertron. His chest is so massive and bulky that his arms, fully extended, barely clear it. His head sculpt isn't bad but it belongs on a much smaller bot. He looks like a pinhead. This guy genuinely offends my eyes in ways that few other G1 Transformers manage.

The tanker mode is equally offensive. A filthy partsformer! Loose the shield and this mode makes no sense. It's an ugly joke of a truck as well. The windows are barely perceptible and there's hardly even a suggestion of a grill, an essential for any self-respecting truck 'bot. And the arms! Just hanging there at the side, first all exposed. They’re not even trying! The plane is...not as bad as every other mode? But it's got a bloody wheel stick right up, it's got a hole towards the back of the tail, there's more partsforming with the tail fin, and THOSE FUCKING ARMS ARE STILL JUST SHAMELESSLY HANGING AROUND!

So perversely TR Octone turns out to be the best of the three Decepticon triple changers. Hasbro, you sick bastards!

He is an incredibly handsome and well-proportioned looking robot. Octane's cartoon model had a very distinctive face and the designers seem to have gone to great lengths to capture that. It's one of the reasons that he stands out a little from his two triple changing colleagues. It’s a hesitant, almost quizzical expression. Subtle but sophisticated. I know a lot of people say that some of the recent remakes, like Perceptor and Hot Rod haven't been required as the old versions were more than good enough. I'd argue that the remakes we've seen in Titans Return have much more subtle and characterful facesculpts. Octane may be the best example of this.

The problem with the sort of robot that has his trailer integrate into his robot mode, like Octane and the original Motormaster, is that their vehicle mode scale can be distracting. I liked how they managed this with Combiner Wars Motormaster, but I can't see how they could have managed it with Octane. Perhaps I'm feeling petty this morning, or perhaps I've just been enjoying how well all my old M.A.S.K toys scale together? Scale niggles aside, the truck mode is really excellent. There's a wonderful amount of detail on this ten wheeler, particularly around the cab.

Even thirty years of progress in toy engineering can't solve everything, so while the jet mode is pretty damn good, it's still got some ridiculous truck kibble hanging around. Was there really no more elegant way to do this? Part of me wonders if it's some sort of sick tribute to the original. Goofy as it is I can't hate this mode for it. It's a very different looking jet than we normally get in Transformers lines and I'm easily charmed by this.

So he's not perfect. Mine has some serious QC issues, with a floppy wing that needs to stands up and a tailfin that doesn't quite fit neatly in tanker mode and stops it tabbing together nicely. He'd benefit tremendously form some sort of heel tab, as mine seems to require a lot of fiddling before he'll stand up nice and stable, and it'd be nice if the wings in his wrists would fold away. Like the petty, trivial, comic obsessed bastard that I am, I also wish he had the fly style sunglasses that he had in his comic appearances. But despite all these niggles he's still a very impressive Voyager figure. Good work lad!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 5
  10. Maz

Maz Square One TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    YouTube:
    Tumblr:
    Well, G1 Seaspray grew up. First he got a job as a pizza delivery guy, and then full on crack Autobot canal patrol squad.

Spindrift17.jpg Spindrift18.jpg

All the best
    Maz

• Like Like x 5
  11. Spiff-O-Matic

Spiff-O-Matic I can haz catch-phrase?

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    My newest G1 buddies

20170718_125311.jpg 20170718_125218.jpg 20170718_125229.jpg

• Like Like x 6
  12. Incesticon

Incesticon WUBBA LUBBA DUB DUB

IMG_0126.JPG Just thought I'd share my appreciation of these wonderfully coloured, awesome looking dudes!

• Like Like x 9
  13. Prime of Shadows

YouTube:
    Best headmasters ever, at least in my opinion! So glad I have both of them. Apeface's gorilla mode is ridiculous, but snapdragon's dragon mode is excellent. The robot modes are awesome too, but of course the best part is the triple changing heads.interesting that you flipped up Apeface's legs; I always thought they were supposed to lay flat?

• Like Like x 1
  14. Incesticon

Incesticon WUBBA LUBBA DUB DUB

IMG_0264.JPG Yeah they are great aren't they? Honestly though, I'm a fan of ALL the original Decepticon Headmasters - these just happen to be the only ones I haven't sold off yet. They are a LOT of fun though!
    I honestly have no real idea what ANY of Apefaces modes are supposed to look like officially! He's got so many joints you can tweak here or there that I just go with what looks good to me at the time!:) 

Last edited: Jul 18, 2017
    • Like Like x 6
  15. brr-icy

brr-icy G1 Collector

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    • Like Like x 7
  16. Prime of Shadows

YouTube:
    I notice that your Apeface's shoulders have to hold up the backpack. There's actually quite an easy fix for that: pop out the pin holding on the cockpit(easiest pin to knock out ever), unscrew the black frame of the cockpit, tighten the red bit that holds the gorilla head on via its screw, and reassemble. The backpack will now rotate on a soft ratchet that is string enough to hold itself up in robot mode, thus allowing the gorilla legs to form proper shoulders. Worked like a charm on mine; and bending the gorilla legs at the knee with the foot pointing backwards is my preferred configuration. Photos tomorrow, everybody!

• Like Like x 3
  17. Fishsticks

Fishsticks Member of the Church of Quake

18. barry

News Credits:
    Misfire is my personal favourite of the three Decepticon Targetmasters. While he was always a bit of a nobody in the comics and only had one good scene in the cartoon, James Roberts has absorbed this guy into the cast of 'The Scavengers' and has made him a fan favourite. A goofy, hyperactive, bullshitter that shows James Roberts at either his best or worse depending on your own personal tastes (I should add that I really like the Roberts version).

G1 Misfire is a surprisingly excellent toy! The robot mode is super chunky and handsome. I'm particularly in love with his headsculpt. It's classic Autobot handsome! He's got lips that would make Overlord jealous. And the colour! All that bright pink. This is a bold and daring look and Misfoire totally pulls it off! I only really want to fault this guy on a few points; his arms are set ridiculously far back on his torso and his wrists have that massive, glaring gap where his hands go in jetmode. Proportion wise he looks perfect if you draw aline at his waist and only look aabove it or below it. Those legs are so big they look like they belong on another robot.

Nice as the robot mode is that fucking jet mode is amazing! There's so much to love about this, from the tiny details like the thrusters that come out from his knees, to the contrast of his deep blue cockpoit's contrast with that pink paintwork, the swept down wings, to the pinder like nosecone. I don't even care that his feet are just sitting up there. It's such a good design and so well executed that i can't help but wonder if this guy ate up some of Triggerhappy's budget.

I was very excited when it became obvious we'd be getting Misfire, but when I saw the first pictures I was a bit underwhelmed. He seemed to be a simplified version of Triggerhappy, missing off that amazing torso/cockpit twist, his jet mode seemed messier, and he had the animation accurate sunglasses. I was always going to enjoy the figure but I just really wanted to love him. So I managed my expectataions accordingly.

And man, was I surprised! This guy is fantastic in hand! He's got enough remoddeling in his chest and arms to make his 'bot mode look distinctive from Triggerhappy, and that shade of pink is just stunning when you see it in person. Photos just do not do it justice. Sure, he's still got the shades, but he looks exactyl like the cocky dickhead that I've come to love in the MTMTE comics. As I've already mentioned, his transformation sequence is much simplified from Triggerhappy's but it is still a neat, tidy, elegant sequence that does what it needs to and does it well.

But that jet mode! It is, I think, the best jet mode I've seen in the Generations line. It's tight, elegant and, while you can see plenty of the bits and pieces, it's a very kibble free vehicle. From a design perspective it is stunning; the swept forward wings, the forked nosecone, the sweet contrast of the deep blue cockpit to the gorgeous pink. It's so well done! I almost feel like a traitor saying that when it's such a departure from the original but instead I just marvel that this guy should be so lucky to have two amazing, but different, designs in two incarnations.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 8
  19. brr-icy

brr-icy G1 Collector

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I didn't actually plan on increasing my G1 collection at TFcon this much this year since I have mostly everything I want. But I did.

G1 Groundshaker, complete with all paperwork and such. Takes me a decent deal to bite on a pretender, hence why they're not finished yet.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

A MIB Ransack to replace the one I destroyed doing the big Decepticon logo shot for you guys.

[​IMG]

Boxes for Black Zarak and two of the Operation Combination VS sets from @puma

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Box for my Black Shadow from @hardreturn

[​IMG]

A box for my Doubleclouder arrived on Monday after the show with a pair of other boxes from @Turbine027

[​IMG]

Just need a Go Shooter and Minerva box for my Masterforce collection, a Blue Bacchus box for my Victory collection, and a box for the Talon VS set for my Operation Combination collections to be all boxed, I don't collect boxes though...

• Like Like x 15
  20. Turbine027

Turbine027 Boys or Toys? BOTH!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Love the new pieces!!!

Really highlights my need for a Black Shadow shell every time I see one in here!!

• Like Like x 1