The Generation One Toys Appreciation Thread! (Only Donuts Post Here!)

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Superquad7, Jan 15, 2012.

1. borgified

borgified Resistance is Futile!

Two grails of mine over the years of collection and never had the funds to acquire when on the market. Picked up Encore #23 upon reissue (other accessories in the box) and acquired an used G1 Sixshot (complete) in fairly decent condition from a board member (with missing stickers present).

Apologies if this has been posted before and the light dust on Fort Max (just recently put back in the box since been in the detolf since purchase).

DSC00051redone.jpg

• Like Like x 7
  2. barry

barry Like a Kind of Matador

News Credits:
    Cheers man! I haven't tried swapping the heads round with any of the wave five guys yet. Missed opportunity I'll try and fix this weekend

Nice work! I got Sixshot and Fort Max around the same time too, so I always kind of associate the two these days.

I remember being super surprised that you could actually get a Sharkticon. Possibly incorrectly, I seem to remember all 1986 releases being quite staggered. We had the 'Special Teams' come out earlier in the year, most of the movie guys come out towards the end of summer and then some stragglers like Wreck Gar and Rodimus not show up into well into 1987. And only when getting to see the catalogues that came with these guys did I see a toy version of the Sharkticon. And the guy had a name?!?!?

In the movie the Sharkticons were just a mute, nameless army, dispatched fairly quickly by Hot Rod, Kup, Grimlock and the others. So this notion that one of them was called Gnaw and had a personality and stuff always just seemed weird to me. Plus, with the figure looking so tubby and peculiar in robot mode he wasn't one of those 'not available in the UK' toys that I didn't ache for. In fact when I started collecting again in my 30's he was one of the ones that I didn't think I'd need for my collection to be complete. I mean, that's the other thing. The Sharkticons were so intrinsically tied to the Quintessons that just having a lone Sharkticon on the shelf would just look...weird!

So I have to admit, the main reason I got a G1 Gnaw was so I could write what you're reading now. If TR Gnaw wasn't such a delight I'd probably have never got round to getting this guy. Even trying to get a KO of this guy looked like it was going to cost me £40! Too much for an inessential character that i only wanted for comparison. Luckily a 'Would Like To Buy' post on a new fb trading group yielded an affordable specimen, and I am so delighted to have this guy.

First of all, he looks naff all like a shark. My other half, who went far too deep(!) in her childhood interest in sea life and scarred herself forever by looking at the more hideous example of deep sea life, says it has much more in common with a piranha than it does a shark. But who cares about what it's called, it's fucking great. It's adorable and terrifying all at the same time, with it's tiny little grabby paws, it's chromed chompers and those big, big eyes. It's such a weird thing, but it works so well! The robot mode remains incredibly awkward looking, with it's rather stout build, diddly little legs, and rather odd centurion-style helmet. For the life of me I cannot imagine anyone wanting to keep this guy in robot mode, especially when the 'shark' mode is damn good.

The same is true for the TR Gnaw. His proportions aren't quite as bizarre as the original, but he's still an ungainly wee fellow. It's really admirable how close they've made him to the original, though part of me misses the top of the 'shark' head sitting behind the the robot's head. It's one of those weird bits of kibble that define a characters silhouette. There's no denying that the head-to-legs transformation is a much better piece of design, but often those clunky bits of the originals had a lot of charm.

In 'shark' mode TR Gnaw is one of the greatest things about the Titans Return line. I wasn't expecting anything when I got this guy. "Legends class Gnaw. Yeah, sure. Why not?" was pretty much my thought. Of course then I started to see pictures of the guy in hand and started to get really excited. It just looked sooooo good. So characterful. So just plain adorable. He's been a sensation. I've probably seen more photos of this guy than any other figure in the last 6-7 months and there are threads on this forum dedicated to nothing but pictures of Gnaw eating things (Kudos @Jetbolt 23 pages as of posting this).

It's really faithful to the original in all the ways it needs to: the little hands, the green bug eyes, the distinctive colour scheme. The eyes are clear plastic now, which gives it a suitably fishy feel but part of me misses the hideous lime green of the original. Releasing this guy in the Legends class was clever. The guy was always meant to part of an army and putting him out at this price point makes army building achievable. Thus far I've bought three and, should I find some out in the wild at nice prices near a payday, I shall be buying many more!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 9
  3. Prime Noble

Prime Noble Well-Known Member

I meant seeing if you could swap the Titanmaster head with the G1 head. I should have said Twintwist too...

4. barry

barry Like a Kind of Matador

News Credits:
    Ahhhhhhhhh. No, I'm too much of a cowardly custard for that.

5. Prime Noble

Prime Noble Well-Known Member

If I can do it, anyone can.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Destron79

Destron79 Transforming gunslinger

Well, at least Phoenix truly has. He's almost as posable as a G.I. Joe :D 

• Like Like x 1
  7. myrrh

myrrh Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    "Bad news, guys: now there are two of those things..."
    "And they've got us surrounded!"

• Like Like x 13
  8. Maz

Maz Square One TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    YouTube:
    Tumblr:
    Finally, I get the chance to share this.
    My biggest 'find' for the last 6 years, since my Joustra Diaclone Lancia in 2011. This is only the second ever Joustra Balle Lion ever found (first one appeared earlier this year), and ...the FIRST ever recorded Joustra Diaclone Balle Robot.

I've got that very special feeling back. Now just 7 Joustra Diaclone to go to go, (3 of which have never even been seen).

12 years and counting.

Balles01.jpg

All the best
    Maz

• Like Like x 16
  9. Turbine027

Turbine027 Boys or Toys? BOTH!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    IMG_0314.jpg

This is what happens when you have piña coladas, get hungry, and ask Unicron what to eat ...and there're G1 toys in the background, so this totally goes here :) 

Last edited: Jul 16, 2017
    • Like Like x 13
  10. myrrh

myrrh Well-Known Member

...primus, that'll give you heartburn something fierce!..

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 5
  11. UndertakerPrime

UndertakerPrime I see the story in your eyes...

Dude, you know better than to take diet advice from someone whose idea of an appetizer is a small planet ;) 

• Like Like x 2
  12. Fishsticks

Fishsticks Member of the Church of Quake

*clapping* Great job @Maz! Nice find

(I'm assuming these are ridiculously rare and hard to find)

• Like Like x 1
  13. Maz

Maz Square One TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    YouTube:
    Tumblr:
    Thanks man! Yeah you could say that, the one on the right is the first one to show up packaged that anyone's ever heard of since they were sold in 1985! The on the left is the second of its kind found, the first turned up a mere 3 or 4 months ago. Crazy stuff.

All the best
    Maz

• Like Like x 1
  14. [Wing_Saber-X]

[Wing_Saber-X] Fortress Maximus!

News Credits:
    Man talk about hitting the jackpot @Maz !
    Noice one, mate.

• Like Like x 1
  15. microclone

microclone Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    G1 tip for the clones. If the fists are super tight you can unscrew the screw a little to ease the movement also I feel it could be important to hold the shoulders down tight on the torso when pulling out the hands as on my used versions the arms with the tightest fists have the loosest shoulders (ie the shoulder joint wiggles a bit) I think repeated yanking at the arm to remove the fist slowly wears the shoulder plastic mechanism (Its a very simple 'pseudo' ratchet set up).

16. microclone

News Credits:
    nice neat display of your figures! The white shows them of well, I'm stuck with wood type finish cabinets that never do bright plastic toys justice.

• Like Like x 2
  17. microclone

News Credits:
    I do like TR gnaw but I really wished they had stuck with the same transformation scheme as G1, the head on the back f the legs just seems a bit cumbersome though it does give the bot a more balanced look rather than an apple on two sticks kind of appearance. I find I like to actually bring the head parts forward and make them in to feet at the front, gives a less stumpy looking bot. I recently got the G1 figure and find it extremely entertaining, I enjoy the transformation and reminds me just how solid the older toys were!

• Like Like x 1
  18. microclone

News Credits:
    brainstorm2.JPG I got this beautiful pretty much untouched brainstorm recently. It has quickly become a favourite design, It amazes me that despite the arms and legs just being there hidden in plain sight they are indeed hidden, as they seem to have been sculpted to be plane parts first they don't seem like robot kibble. Makes me quite happy to ignore the fact I did not but the generations or titans return versions, just no need, this trumps them both in my book.

At least brainstorm does not have that issue of being a robot with a plane on his back, generations/classics silverbolt/darkwind was so guilty of that, G1 darkwing does have that issue but somehow I can overlook it as the transformation involves that clever rotation.

• Like Like x 8
  19. Insane Galvatron

Insane Galvatron is not insane. Really!

News Credits:
    This is what made G1 so good compared to newer lines. The toys felt like they designed the vehicle first, then the transformation, and the robot would be made of vehicle parts. Newer toys try to make a cool robot, then figure out how to make it a vehicle. Which leads to either vehicle kibble in robot mode, or robot kibble just hanging out on the bottom of the vehicle.

• Like Like x 1
  20. microclone

News Credits:
    I agree, the movie toys are a case in point, they often seem more like a skeleton with vehicle parts attached more like an outer shell, I don't mind as such but I find that far, far less interesting. I always liked the way the G1 robots were 'compromised/optimised' by the bits they were made from, and for some reason ginat kibble on a G1 robot bothers me less than on newer designs. I mean look at G1 weirdwolf backpack but somehow it doesn't bug me.

• Like Like x 1