The Generation One Toys Appreciation Thread!

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Superquad7, Jan 15, 2012.

1. myrrh

myrrh Knell-Mown Wember

News Credits:
    "YOU CAN'T TELL ME WHAT TO DO!"
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 11
  2. barry

barry Well worn member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Nicely done!!!

• Like Like x 1
  3. myrrh

myrrh Knell-Mown Wember

News Credits:
    ...hey man, anything beats eighteen years boxed-away in storage!..just got my G1 collection back in-hand this month and loving it every day...

4. Robowang

Robowang I don't have AIDS

Ebay:
    I loosened the screws in Skyhammer's feet, so now I have no trouble transforming him! Loose feet don't matter when he's just standing there anyway :)  Hope that helps a bit. Same can be done with (big Monstructor chest guy)'s arms, thought I had trouble loosening them the first time and almost cracked them...so be careful.

Also did the same with Pyro's forearms.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Robowang

Ebay:
    • Like Like x 3
  6. AMG

AMG Old School

I feel the same way.

7. UndertakerPrime

UndertakerPrime Unlikeable dry-skinned biped

That's adorable!
    Huffer never got much time in the show, but just from that one scene you learn he'll do whatever he can to help when the chips are down, even though he complains all the time.

Yeah, my childhood G1 was boxed up around 1990 or so when we moved back to the US, and stayed in that box for the next 7 or 8 years. Of course, at that time they had just been thrown in there since they weren't yet "collectibles" so being shoved together for so long was definitely not good for them. The chrome on Jazz's feet and Sunstreaker's spoiler was rubbed off, among other damage I noticed when I finally freed them from their cardboard prison. But, getting them back out was what prompted me to look into online TF communities, and led me to ATT.

• Like Like x 1
  8. brr-icy

brr-icy MP Collector

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Brawny isn't worth the money, he just looks like lego stuck together, all panels and discombobulated

• Like Like x 1
  9. Prime Noble

Prime Noble Well-Known Member

Me too. I still have Landfill and Quickmix. I sold Scoop when I got the Generations version.

I'd love if Hasbro retooled and repainted CW Scrapper, Longhaul and Mixmaster as Scoop, Landfill and Quickmix.

10. Spiff-O-Matic

Spiff-O-Matic I can haz catch-phrase?

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Let's follow up red Bee with some Mirage. Posed here with Ocular Max Sphinx (Alternate).

20170620_122113.jpg

20170620_124253.jpg

• Like Like x 6
  11. myrrh

myrrh Knell-Mown Wember

News Credits:
    ...two of my very favorite figures, fourty years apart!..i wish i could easily find sphinx's original darker toy-based color scheme at retail, but it's probably for the best keeping that variant at bay until the inevitable takara masterpiece...

...for all the broken mirage waists out there, it's a snap to permanently fix with a metal screw; now if only the datsun roofs were so easy... :/

12. brr-icy

brr-icy MP Collector

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Some Mirage pics with the reprolabels on sphinx

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 7
  13. Robowang

Ebay:
    My new Blaster/Soundwave/Cassettes display - every officially-released vintage-style cassette except for those awful poop-gold Linkin Park versions (dino combiners are knockoffs because duh, I'd be insane to pay real prices for those turds).

tapes.jpg

• Like Like x 8
  14. Incesticon

Incesticon Well-Known Member

Cool set up! :)  Yeah those Linkin Park cassettes are definitely skippable! Mostly cos, you know, Linkin Park! ;) 
    How is your Saur KO? I have one too and he's got a front leg where his back leg should be - was wondering if this is a common problem?

15. Spiff-O-Matic

Spiff-O-Matic I can haz catch-phrase?

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Your Mirage is much nicer than mine! He needs some Repros and good cleaning.

16. brr-icy

brr-icy MP Collector

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    You calling me insane? lol. I sold the crappy kos when i got the real ones. Worth the extra coin. the kos wouldn't even hold themselves up, and the dino modes are fantastic.

17. Hyperoptic

Hyperoptic G1-Junkie

News Credits:
    Hi guys,
    In need of expert knowledge here.

I know for a fact that in some cases, the cab for the light blue Roller version of Optimus Prime came with no "nipples" on the bumper (See pic).

[​IMG]

My question is: Was this all of them? Or were some released with the nipples molded as well?

I have a reliable source that says that ALL light blue Roller cabs came like this. But on the other hand, Fred's workshop site has the light blue Roller version pictured with a cab that has the "nipples"

If anyone can bring insight or shed some light on this, it would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks in advance

18. Cattus Doctus

Cattus Doctus Whiskered Questicon

With all this talk about collection displays, I felt compelled to share a picture of mine, lol:

Collection.jpg

That's brilliant! :) 

• Like Like x 7
  19. barry

barry Well worn member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    FREE US!!!

I love Skids and writers that write Skids hate me. Simon Furman is either banishing him for a good hundred or so issues or James Roberts is making me fall in love again only to
    kill him dead dead dead
    . Did they hate the toy or something? I can't imagine why?

Skids is a bit of a rare favourite of mine. He doesn't tick many of my usual boxes, in that he wasn't a cherished toy I owned or a character beloved of Simon Furman. Apart from getting run off the road and then getting a sponge bath off a cowgirl he didn't really have a great showing in the comics. I guess there was just something attractive about both the toy and the character design.

The G1 toy is an incredibly handsome specimen of the Diaclone aesthetic. He's got so many of the iconic little touches; the door wings, the hood chest, and such a beautiful facesculpt. It may well be my favourite G1 face. He lacks a little articulation compared to say, Prowl or Jazz, with just some motion at the shoulder joint (I can't count the little wrist spin. Maybe if he could hold his guns...). His chromed, clip on guns are really rather nice too. I really do think that the only good reason this guy isn't more appreciated is his slightly lame alt mode. It's nice, don't get me wrong, but it's not as sexy as the Datsun or the Porsche. I know I can't have been the only kid that considered how cool the car mode was when thinking about making a purchase. And whether you acknowledge it as the subcompact Hondo City Turbo car, just thought he was a wee van, it's not that cool an alt mode.

I loved What James Roberts did with the guy in MTMTE. A great introduction, a likeable character, an intriguingly complicated and mysterious backstory. He quickly worked his way into the list of my favourite crew members and anytime Skids would show up I'd be having a good time. He really shone in his interactions with Megatron and, I think, those interactions had a massive effect on Megatron's arc.

One of the more abstract things I like about Thrilling 30 Skids is just how closely it adheres to Alex Milne's design. It really is such a nice thing when we don't have to go to a 3rd Party designer to get something so faithful to the comics. It's all there; the chiselled and moody features, the massive feet, the distinctive chest sculpt and ALL the pop out guns (Including the Nudge Gun)! He’s one of the most satisfying looking characters on my Lost Light crew shelf. Of course the downside to bringing the comic to life is that the engineering isn't so sophisticated to be able to pull it flawlessly. As good as it is to look at, it's a tricky one to love in hand. The back kibble is awkward, the arms arm set really far back, and the legs are unsteady. It just comes so close but these are quite fundamental problems with the figure. Not enough to stop me loving him, but enough to make me sigh deeply. The vehicle mode has been sexed up a wee bit, but it's still not going win out over any given spots car alt.

Damn you Roberts!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 24, 2017
    • Like Like x 7
  20. Destructimis Prime

Destructimis Prime We have Landed

News Credits:
    I found this article while I was looking up my light blue variant Prime. Hope it helps.
    Heroic Decepticon: Series 1, pre-rub Optimus Prime MIB (blue variant)

• Like Like x 1