The Generation One Depreciation Thread

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Archforce, Sep 24, 2017.

1. Archforce

Archforce Offline

YouTube (Legacy):
    PLEASE KEEP THIS THREAD CIVIL.

Some people need a place to rant DISCUSS the G1 cartoon series.​

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 25, 2017
  2. Ryan F

Ryan F Transform and Roll Out!

News Credits:
    If you don't like a TV show, why watch it? I saw a couple of episodes of TF: Prime, decided it wasn't for me, and didn't watch any more. I didn't feel the need to create a thread to rant about how much I didn't like it.

Don't fill your life with hate. Be an Optimist Prime, not a Negatron.

• Like Like x 7
  3. Agamus

Agamus Not an Iguana

Oh wow people agree actually with me about this? I thought I was the only one! The Movie and the latter two JP sequels were great, but the G1 cartoon itself... I watched the whole on youtube when I was around 12 and I really wasn't impressed. Maybe it was the low video quality but the visuals weren't on par with the cartoons I grew up with, especially Beast Wars which I watched around the same time on the same site, and neither were the story and humor.

It's nostalgic and arguably the basis for the franchise, but having read the G1 comics too... there's really no place for it. The same story was done infinitely better there, and it was the comic, not the cartoon, that was very the first entry into the Transformers universe. It was neither the first nor the best Transformers story, but I guess it's become so iconic that most people don't even question it.

• Like Like x 2
  4. pilot00

pilot00 Well-Known Member

:lol  These kinds of threads are always fun. Opens a thread to bash X topic and asks nobody to counter argue it. :lol :lol :lol 

• Like Like x 2
  5. Archforce

Archforce Offline

YouTube (Legacy):
    Fixed that for ya. ;) 

6. Jumacas

Jumacas Banned

News Credits:
    Is this the thread where I can finally bash Playstation 1 for not having Playstation 4 graphics capabilities in its time?

• Like Like x 7
  7. pilot00

pilot00 Well-Known Member

EDIT: Sorry Missunderstood here.

No, this is the thread you justify why Playstation 4s Resident evil 50000 is superior to Resident evil 1, because it had better graphics, despite the fact that it had no storyline, action and it was a demo of 1hour play. You have to say something to justify your purchase man.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2017
    • Like Like x 2
  8. Ninjanicktf

Ninjanicktf Mushroom Samba

The cartoon's fine fi you want to watch something very corny or of it's time. As an actual series that you may be able to get sucked into and want to put many hours into though...eh, I've seen worse.

• Like Like x 1
  9. SG Roadbuster

SG Roadbuster SG Wrecker

News Credits:
    I enjoy the g1 cartton enough as a cheesy remnant of the 80s, the part that bugs the crap outs me is when people treat the g1 cartoon as the end all be all, holy scripture of the entire franchise. And shit all over anything that isn't geewun for the simple fact that it isn't g1.

• Like Like x 2
  10. NaCl

NaCl Fry cook

G1 has such a wacky narm to it that you have to not expect anything from it really. Looking at it story-wise, it manages to at least do what it says on the box and have giant robots that turn into things and fight one another. However, it suffers from being limited by TV and needing to be for kids, which is why most of the violence is more cartoony than it should be. I never grew up with it, but my dad did. We watched it when I was a kid and even then I knew the show kind of sucked. If I want something serious and gritty, I watch Prime. If I want goofiness I watch Animated. That's the basis by which I recommend Transformers to people. Never the Bayformers, never G1. Of course, I always try and get them to try out MTMTE.

11. CyberstormSM

CyberstormSM Turbo-Revvin' Young Punk

News Credits:
    YouTube (Custom URL):
    giphy.gif

• Like Like x 2
  12. FanboyX

FanboyX is a real boy

80's kid. Love the cartoon. I don't think it's the best fiction. Y'all can catch me in the "why isn't Astro Boy in color?" thread.

13. AMG

AMG Old School

haters.gif

I don't see the appeal of making a thread dedicated to bashing something other people enjoy. Maybe it's because I find no pleasure in negativity and upsetting others.

• Like Like x 3
  14. Mirimus

Mirimus Member Known Well

This is like the 'Unpopular Toy Opinions' thread...it has its place and serves a purpose. There's nothing wrong with a thread intended for those who wish to voice displeasure over something without being attacked/debated endlessly over it.

That said, the original Sunbow cartoon will always be a guilty pleasure for me. It's good for my inner 10-year-old, but not much else, and I am not ashamed to admit this.

• Like Like x 2
  15. Windsweeper II

Windsweeper II Banned

News Credits:
    There's plenty of things i can still enjoy about the sunbow cartoon.
    There's plenty of things i find ridiculous.
    People have a right to bash it if they want to.

16. Niv3k

Niv3k RED ALERT WOO WOO WOO

News Credits:
    The toxic levels in this thread will be off the charts.

17. Bass X0

Bass X0 Captain Commando

News Credits:
    I didn't see that many season one and two episodes as a child, being born in 1981. At the time, Transformers could do no wrong. Every episode was a classic... then when I was finally able to buy the episodes on DVD, I was dismayed at how many ridiculous and dumb episodes that I had completely missed. The ones I hadn't seen as a child just didn't hold up as "new" episodes to me, whereas those I had seen were still classics.

18. moreprimeland

moreprimeland Optimus told me to do it!

News Credits:

Asking folks to be civil and RANT at the same time is unlikely, so fixed that for ya! :thumb 

Also, this entire forum is to DISCUSS G1.. happens every day. :) 

19. Heliblade

Heliblade Autobot Vigilante of Kaon

I'm a relatively new fan that was introduced through Armada, and I didn't watch the G1 cartoon until after the first three movies had come out.

The G1 cartoon was a glorified toy commercial, yes. The plot was nonsensical and childish. Animation errors galore.

But there was a sense of genuine charm and fun in this stupid cartoon that I loved. The characters may have been one dimensional, but dammit I remember each of them because they were interesting characters. And when viewed from a "big picture" perspective, the overall myth arc of the G1 cartoon is a pretty damn epic sci-fi story.

I can easily see why people riff on the G1 cartoon. Nothing is for everyone, as they say.

• Like Like x 2