The General Decline of Saturday Morning Cartoons...

Discussion in 'Movies and Television' started by VictoryLeo19, Feb 20, 2010.

1. VictoryLeo19

VictoryLeo19 Well-Known Member

This is really sad, and I dont mean the quality of the cartoons today, i just mean how few there are in general on a saturday morning. I remember even a few years ago, you could watch cartoons on Fox, the WB, Disney, Nickelodeon, and Fox Family. Channel 18 even used to have the rarely seen stuff like Starship Troopers, get along gang, and sometimes even starcom. Not to mention ABC had their own block of cartoons, what happened? It seems like the new "CW" is basically all there is, with a few cartoons from 8-1130. It honestly feels like cartoons are going to be a thing of the past :( 

2. grimlock1972

grimlock1972 Optimus, serving up the primest of ribs since 1984

News Credits:
    yah Saturday mornings have become crap since i was a kid! I can't believe Today's kids like the crap that on these days.

3. spikex

spikex Nightbird is my bitch

The need for cartoon specific programming has declined with the advent of all cartoon channels. Sad, but it is what it is.

4. MidnightBliss

MidnightBliss Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    it isn't profitable for television stations to air cartoons anymore. Cartoon Network and their bretheren make it really difficult to compete.

5. Autobot Burnout

Autobot Burnout ...and I'll whisper "No."

News Credits:
    If Weekend morning cartoons nowadays were like good old shows like Courage the Cowardly Dog and Samurai Jack, then I'd be more concerned about the decline.

But nope, instead it's crap like Chowder and Flapjack, both of which I fail to see as "funny" in the least. Good "new" cartoons are so rare these days...

6. Dinobot Nuva

Dinobot Nuva Johnny 3 Tears Veteran

News Credits:
    Chowder and Flapjack feel like the last bastions of hope I have for cartoons.

7. jorod74

jorod74 Psycholagnist (Ret.)

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    SMC's have declined for many reasons.
    The FCC has put regulations in place that demand networks (NBC, CBS, FOX, ABC) to air more educational/Informative programming and sadly, the cartoons i watched as a kid don't meet those standards.

Shows like Lilo and Stitch, Fillmore, Phineas and Ferb have a "message" or lesson in them to meet those standards.

the regular networks are hurt by CN and Nick (Boomerang and Nictoons, too) in a unique way- the pressure's off of them to HAVE to have a kid's block anymore. they can risk losing that small audience on weekends in favor of more sports or talk shows like weekend editions of the Today show.

last, local tv stations are stepping in with their own programming, although in my area, it is mostly infomercials or paid half hour adverts from car dealerships, etc.
    one of my local stations on saturdays runs a 2-3 hour block of pre-recorded church services.

SMC's have been dying since the mid 90s, imo and it's not entirely the cartoons' fault. yep, there are craptacular toons out there, but they have a lot of circumstances working against them as well.

8. darkmgmstr

darkmgmstr Blue Lantern Corps Member

I blame the soccer moms. DAMN THOSE BEAUTIFUL SOCCER MOMS!!!! :banghead: 

9. lars573

lars573 Well-Known Member

^This. Canada has 3 regular kid/youth oriented channels (YTV, Treehouse and Teletoon). And a few more digital ones. The three of them show almost nothing but cartoons. And they have special weekend morning cartoon programming blocks. Making saturday morning cartoons on big networks obsolete.

10. ErechOveraker

ErechOveraker I'm with Plowking.

News Credits:
    If you ask me, it's just another sign of the fall of society. I'll be surprised if that generation of kids don't all grow up to be sociopaths.

11. Sage o' G-fruit

Sage o' G-fruit Critics gonna critique

News Credits:
    Seconded. Chowder is the closest thing we're getting to the earlier seasons of Spongebob.

12. Zherbus

Zherbus In Shogo Hasui, we trust.

News Credits:
    The voices on Chowder are abrasive to my ears.

13. Red Alert

Red Alert Security

News Credits:
    College Football/Basketball > Toons

14. Waverider

Waverider Supreme Dude

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    What I missed is the afternoon block of cartoons like Animaniacs.

15. grimlock1972

grimlock1972 Optimus, serving up the primest of ribs since 1984

News Credits:
    I can agree with whats being said about CN and Boomerang and etc. removing much of the need for the networks need to run Saturday morning Cartoons. Now if Chowder and Flapjack are considered top of the heap in cartoons these days, its a sad state of affairs.

I Do not get Cartoon network now and i don't really miss it, I do get Boomerang and I find the cartoons from the 60's,70's and 80's much more enjoyable than most of the stuff made from 1990s onward. The only Modern cartoons I have cared for are Courage, Samurai Jack and Ghost in the shell Stand alone Complex.

(Transformer Cartoons excepted from this of course)

16. Skyfire21

Skyfire21 A Challenger Approaches!

Ebay:
    All nostalgia aside, it's sad that the options have dwindled for the children now a days. On a Saturday or any morning back in the day you had so many options, now, not so much.

17. MnemonicSyntax

MnemonicSyntax Macrodata Refinement - SVR'D Access

News Credits:
    I guess I never liked the other cartoons that most like, such as Courage, Ed Edd and Eddy (I loathe that show), or even oldies like Tom and Jerry and Scooby-Doo.

But, my son loves Tom and Jerry (calls it "Cat Mouse") and Scooby-Doo (calls them Woo-Woo and the guys) and so I let him watch them.

When I think of Saturday Morning Cartoons, old school TMNT comes to mind, as well as The Uncanny X-Men.

18. smkspy

smkspy Remember true fans

Cartoons are on 24 hours and on multi channels so I can't really agree on their decline.

Problem with cartoons isn't the cartoons themselves. It's the adults still watching that expect some unrealistic level of quality based on nostalgia. Cartoons will never be as good as when we were kids. It's a sad reality.

19. Optimus Sledge

Optimus Sledge Yar har fiddle di dee

Every generation thinks their tv shows/childhood was best. They're wrong.

20. MetalRyde

MetalRyde is an a-hole with a heart. RIP Spike and Mojo.

We have a winner.