The games that Pushed too far...

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by Prowl, Sep 14, 2007.

1. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Towards the end of a console generation, the developers have reached a point where they can make a system do things that weren't dreamed of when the system was released.

What games do you think pushed the envelope?

For me, I'd say

Doom on SNES, as well as StarFox
    Virtua Racing, Aladdin, Flashback, Gunstar Heroes and ZeroTolerance on Genesis
    Metal Gear Solid, Chrono Cross, FF8, Vagrant Story(visually speaking) on PS1
    Crimsom Skies, Chronicles of Riddick, Fable on Xbox
    MGS: Sons and Snake Eater, FF12, and without a doubt GOW 1 and 2, and Shadow of Colossus on PS2
    Zelda Twilight Princess and Wind Waker on GC

Gears of War and Mass Effect as well as Bioshock on 360,
    And I think Heavenly Sword, and maybe Lair if not for the Framerate on PS3

Credit where Credit is due. And Metroid looks amazing on the Wii despite it not being as strong as the former

2. McBradders

McBradders James Franco Club! Moderator

Gonna tackle your list here...

StarFox - on board chips don't really "push" per se, it's on crutches at that point.

Virtua Racing - See Starfox.

Aladdin, Flashback- Not entirely sure I'd agree with those two examples.

Gunstar Heroes and ZeroTolerance - yes, absoloutely, doing some crazy shit there.

Metal Gear Solid, FF8, - Not sure I'd agree with anything other than MGS, Final Fantasy did a lot of swapping, smoke and mirrors.

Crimsom Skies - Was way before anyone started pushing the ole Xbox.

Chronicles of Riddick - Absolfuckingloutely.

MGS: Sons and Snake Eater, FF12, and without a doubt GOW 1 and 2, and Shadow of Colossus on PS2 - Yes!

Zelda Twilight Princess and Wind Waker - Wind Waker not so much. There was a poly comparison between the two and Wind Waker was made up of lego in comparison with TP :3

I'm honestly not sure we even saw the XBOX's true potential, it just wasn't around long enough for developers (other than Starbreeze) to really get their teeth in to it and produce those kinda things before the system got killed.

And there are like a ton of Genesis games that did some amazing things never thought possible in its time. I want to make a list... but I can't get my head in to gear.

3. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    So was Flashback using polygonal graphics then or was it just redrawing? That's the only reason I thought it was amazing. Back then I didn't know any better and thought the game was running on simple polygonal graphics. I agree about the FX chip, but as a whole, especially with Star Fox, since it cost the same as most game (unlike theoverpriced Virtua Racing), I still saw it as someone forcing the system to do something that it normally couldn't

Also fortgot about Earth Worm Jim. Not from a technical standpoint, so much for doing wonders with the limited color pallet of the Genesis.

Oh and I almost forgot Dues Ex on Xbox. Damn some of that normal mapping looked amazing.

4. RabidYak

RabidYak Go Ninja Go Ninja Go

Flashback was just painted backrounds and rotoscoped sprites, Prince of Persia did the latter 3 years earlier on the Apple II.

5. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Oh ok, thanks for clearing a 10 year mystery. I remember Prince and Out of this World doing the same. I guess they gave it the no-shading look to give the impression that it was a techincal achievement. Still though Flash back was a great game.

6. Greenshadow0

Greenshadow0 Well-Known Member

Is that a bad thing? I love legos. ;) 

7. Smasher

Smasher HUNKY BEATS

News Credits:
    Yes it was. It was so different than everything else at the time.

Also, Street Fighter II on the Genesis should not have been possible.
    How is it that the sprites were bigger than the SNES version?

Speaking of Street Fighter, Street Fighter Alpha 2 on the SNES was impressive.
    It was definitely missing some frames, but its existence itself is a miracle.

What manner of Olympus magic makes God of War transform my Playstation 2 into a Playstation 2.5?

8. McBradders

McBradders James Franco Club! Moderator

Not at all. Wind Waker > Every Other Zelda :3

9. Gen. Magnus

Gen. Magnus Everything is Awesome

News Credits:
    I have to admit that I am a little confused as to why you are including current gen systems, 360, PS3, and Wii, in that list. The games you are listing are all meant to be handled by these systems.

10. Dirge121

Dirge121 Eat the chikums

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    YouTube:
    Tumblr:
    I have to agree with this. God of War blew every other PS2 Game I own out of the water graphics wise.

11. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:

Because judging by some of the crap that was released when the 360 came out (ie. hi-res versions of last gen of games) games like Gears of War, and Bioshock started to really show what could be done with the system. So in essence it's happening now too. I just booted up the new Tony Hawk Demo on the PS3, and it looked like a high-res version of Tony Hawk for PS2/Xbox. Some developers like Epic take advantage of every gear and fan in the system and it shows.

TwinTwist I agree with you about Wind Waker. Sometimes I'd plug that game in and just go sailing in any direction to see what I'd find..

And, Smasher, poetic as usual. Who knows what devil David Chaff made a deal with to make the PS2 look like a PS2.3454, but his soul will pay for it like his created hero's

12. DaggersRage

DaggersRage Autistic bastard.

Do PC games count?

I'd have to give credit to Grand Theft Auto 3. Sure its a silly franchies, but it was also the first of it's kind. Basicly, they built a big city for you in 3D and are just like... "Here's the city, go do stuff!"

13. Vangelus

Vangelus Long Live the New Flesh Moderator Content Contributor

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    In terms of gooey-smooth animated sprites (Genesis Aladdin) it was pretty cool back in the day.

Is this backwards compatible yet?! I only ever got to try it on a shite TV that a friend of mine had with his old XBox, and I really really wanna see it on my nice HD TV via the 360. :( 

14. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    No, it's not unfortunately. But if it make you feel better, they are re-releasing Chronicles for next Gen system with a high-res mode. Might be why they aren't releasing a backwards patch.

As for PCs. I guess maybe comparing people pushing a video card to its limits. The thing with PCs is that the games that push the hardware are dependant on the hardware. That is, what might push my PC will make yours laugh.

15. Vangelus

Vangelus Long Live the New Flesh Moderator Content Contributor

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Thank goodness. I'm a Riddick fanboy and, damn it, that's the only piece of Riddick media I'm missing. >.>

16. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ok fanboy, then I have a question for you. I actually really liked Pitch Black and Chronicles... I wanted to buy that animated movie. Is it any good? Would you recommend it?

Here is a link for your enjoyment. It's for the PS3 version but it's coming for both systems..

http://ps3.ign.com/objects/851/851727.html

17. Moonstreaker

Moonstreaker The Evil Triplet

Ebay:
    I heard mention of sprites earlier...so maybe it's pixies or imps?

18. Atomsplitter

Atomsplitter Needs a new title.

Talking about the Xbox and no Ninja Gaiden? That game was amazing.

And i'd say its way to early to be talking about the 360 and PS3, we haven't seen anything yet.

19. Bryan

Bryan ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Always feel the need to point out I'm not a gamer when I stumble into this forum, but this is kinda weird to me. It's so early in the console's life, how can you even know if these games push the limit? I mean, in a coupla years, you might see games that blow these away, beyond what anyone expected the console to be capable of, y'know?

20. Smasher

Smasher HUNKY BEATS

News Credits:
    QFT. Still looks good even today.