The Game That Broke The Camel's Back!

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by darkunor, Jun 15, 2012.

1. darkunor

darkunor Banned

There comes a time in a gaming franchise that you used to enjoy and play or still do both, or more accurately a particular game at which you felt the series had jumped the shark. The innovative train had come to grinding halt, innovation was now replaced by reptition, an exciting new adventure felt like you were "going through the motions", the passion you once had to explore every ounce or inch of land if it was an RPG, defeat every opponent if it was a fighting game or win every free-for-all or teamdeath match if it was a first person shooter had diminished or become non-exsistant altogether!

Which game in which franchise did this to you, which game strived so hard to be creative but instead resembled the source material less and less everyday and just became ridiculous and fell flat on it's face, which game in which franchise broke the camel's back to you?

2. Crossfire-034

Crossfire-034 Insensitive jerk

*cough*Call of Duty*cough*

...but seriously, Call of Duty. Ever since they adopted the modern warfare setting, something has been lacking. Doesn't help that they're using an extremely old engine, either.

3. Starfire22

Starfire22 Zoot Suit Riot

News Credits:
    The madden series- madden 08.

The sonic series- sonic and the black knight.

Call of duty- black ops

Star wars games- Force unleashed II.

4. Rexidus

Rexidus Autobot TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I'd say Final Fantasy 8 started a downward trend for that series but it isn't a steep one. 8,9, and 10 were pretty good. Modern FF games just kinda blow and that makes me super sad face.

5. Gigatron_2005

Gigatron_2005 President of Calendars

Call of Duty 4. Repetitive, dull, and uninspired.

And while its not a long series, I did feel like Little Big Planet 2 was just going through the motions. I am still looking forward to the Vita entry to the series though.

Also, Uncharted 3 had some horrible pacing in the game. Parts of it were a real chore to get through.

Edit: Oh OH!! How could I forget! Resident Evil 5! They took all the great game mechanics and atmosphere out of 4, and then refined it into a shallow co-op shooter. You're not going to trick me with RE6 Capcom!!

6. Gryph

Gryph Action Master

News Credits:
    Raw vs Smackdown 2011

I used to love playing the new WWE games, but the yearly releases have just finally gotten to me. Every release for the past few years has had some pretty serious bugs. Targeting between multiple opponents has been a problem for several years. The control scheme gets drastically changed nearly every year. Perfectly good features get removed, only to be replaced with something pointless, or sometimes nothing at all.

I wish Capcom would make a new Saturday Night Slam Masters, so we might get a decent wrestling game that will be around for awhile.

7. Shatterpoint

Shatterpoint Neato

News Credits:
    Dynasty Warriors Gundam 2.

Fuck you Big Zam.

8. TFfanatic88

TFfanatic88 All hail Duke.

Soul Calibur IV - the single player modes suck, the game is a slow and unbalanced button masher, the final boss is a pathetic joke, the Star Wars characters did not fit well, the online was bad and the game is insultingly easy. I'm never buying another Soul Calibur until Namco learns for their mistakes.

Also the new Twisted Metal was pretty disappointing in my opinion. The campaign was a chore to play through and the physics felt wonky.

9. Liege Prime

Liege Prime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I LOVED Final Fantasy X, but I think it was the first one where they started dropping things I really enjoyed about the series like a world map and Nobuo Uematsu as the composer. (he did less then half the soundtrack and has only worked on the online ones since) FF12 was a great playing game but lacked some of the story elements I enjoyed, and Final Fantasy XIII... well it had really nice visuals.

Mortal Kombat 3 was the end of me liking that series.

Sonic Adventure was the start of a new direction Sonic took for the worse.

10. Gordon_4

Gordon_4 The Big Engine

News Credits:
    Tekken 6.......where is my fun fighting game, what the fuck is the shitty JRPG/Double Dragon knock off doing here?

11. Rusty24

Rusty24 Well-Known Member

I like the Modern Warfare sequels less and less the more I play them. I like Treyarch and Black Ops so I will definitely get Black Ops II this year. If Infinity Ward or Sledgehammer is making the Call of Duty for 2013, I will not buy it unless it looks like the best FPS ever.

12. Megabattimus

Megabattimus Same As It Ever Was

News Credits:
    Call of Duty- Call of Duty Black Ops
    Medal of Honor- Medal of Honor Vanguard
    Gran Turismo- Gran Turismo 5
    Spider-Man games- Spider-Man 3

13. Galaxy Convoy

Galaxy Convoy Well-Known Member

I'd have to say the God of War and Gears of War series. While they're both a really awesome series of games, the recent reveals of the prequels at E3 just pretty much translated to me as:

"We're too lazy to/not gonna bother pushing forward and trying to come up with something new and innovative. We're just gonna take the easy way out and just rehash the same shit over and over".

14. FatalT 71

FatalT 71 Mr. JazzHunter

News Credits:
    Wing Commander 3.

15. Gryph

Gryph Action Master

News Credits:
    The new Soul Calibur is pretty good, and has great online multiplayer.

16. Matrixbeast

Matrixbeast Here comes a thought

Ebay:
    RE5 (Almost like clockwork, considering RE4 was the game that actually got me back into the series after the first one).
    Street Fighter 4 (Meh. I just found it boring to play compared to 3).
    Final Fantasy X (I was never a big FF player, only casually playing 1, 7, and 8, but fuck Tidus. He was also the character that made me pay more attention to character design).

I desperately want to say Pokemon: Black and White 2, but I already know that I'm gonna get one of them and play it, and I'll continue playing Pokemon until it dies.

17. Rusty24

Rusty24 Well-Known Member

I gave up on the Madden games when Madden 10 came out. It had been three years since I had bought a Madden game before Madden 10 and I could tell there were few differences. It was basically an updated roster. I get that this basically how sports games succeed, I'm just not a big fan of sports games anyway. I was a Madden fan and bought many Madden games for the PS2, but now I realize that it is essentially the same game over and over again and I spend money on different games.

18. Treadshot A1

Treadshot A1 Or just 'A1' for short...

This. Pokemon got old ages ago, but i'm still going to buy it. :( 

19. Starfire22

Starfire22 Zoot Suit Riot

News Credits:
    This, the last madden/ncaa football game I bought was 06.