The G3 debate!

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Guardian_Prime, Apr 11, 2009.

1. Guardian_Prime

Guardian_Prime Autobot Leader

Note: G3 is the new Classics and Universe line that has revamped the original G1 line.

I am wanting to make a true G3 collection. These are the figures that I truly feel are G3:

Acid Storm
    Astrotrain
    Beachcomber
    Bumblebee
    Brawn
    Cliffjumper
    Cosmos
    Cyclonus w/ Nightstick
    Dirge
    Galvatron
    Grimlock
    Hound w/ Ravage
    Ironhide
    Jetfire
    Megatron
    Nemesis Prime (Shadow Commander Armor)
    Onslaught
    Optimus Prime
    Optimus Prime and Megatron (deluxe)
    Powerglide
    Primus
    Prowl
    Ramjet
    Ratchet
    Rodimus
    Scourge (Titanium)
    Sideswipe
    Silverbolt
    Silverstreak
    Skywarp
    Soundwave (Japanese MP3 Player)
    Starscream
    Sunstreaker
    Tankor
    Thrust
    Thundercracker
    Ultra Magnus (City Commander Armor)
    Unicron
    Warpath
    Wheelie

All arguments for other figures are welcome as I really want my G3 collection to be complete. Let the debate begin!

2. MushroomPrime

MushroomPrime ******

News Credits:
    Da' Fuck is G3?

3. Cujo

Cujo United States Air Force

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    say what!!?!?!???!?!?!?!?!!!1111juan1111?!!?!

4. Blitz.

Blitz. Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    yeah I'd say your list is a fair line up. But G1 and G2 was more then just toys, it was comics and a cartoon and until I see em I don't think the classics/Universe toys will really be a fully fledged continuity

5. Hobbes-timus Prime

Hobbes-timus Prime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I agree - the list is solid and the Classics/Universe lines are not a full fledged continuity.

The more likely "G3" would be the Beast-Era, since it's in continuity with G1 and G2.

6. Gadep

Gadep Banned

News Credits:
    yeah...G1 and G2 covered specific TIME PERIODS...not characters....

YOU FAIL!

try again...

7. GeoKaiser

GeoKaiser Mechabot-1/Omegatron TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    Should the BotCon 2007 additions like Alpha Trion, Wierdwolf, Springer, Huffer, Dreadwing, Hologram (clear blue) Mirage, and Bugbite be added also?

Soundwave (MP3 or "classics" reissue)?

Wasn't there a repainted Classics Constructicon set also?

I think "Classics" is a good enough name. The "Classics" story line is presented (poorly) in BotCon comics and TF Club comic issues as a continuation of the G1-G2 Marvel comic series. Also, many of the modes are also used in the seperate IDW comics. So in usual TF fashion, continuity is out the window already.

8. Guardian_Prime

Im not really keen on the Cybertron repaints they are trying to pass off, like the repaint of Soundwave as Blaster. But I do see your point Venon. Alpha Trion I think is a good addition. I have the reissue Soundwave, but like the MP3 Soundwave's design (looks more like a Classic/Universe). The Constructicon set and the Superion and the Bruticus sets that are coming out I think should be included as well.

Thanks to those who are giving me some good feedback on this; it's really helping me out!

9. Ruination04

Ruination04 8 Years Old Since 1984!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I've always wondered why there hasn't been a G3...I do kinda look at my Classics as such.....

10. kenm2474

kenm2474 LORD DC TFW2005 Supporter

I would consider Classics/Universe as almost a G3 series. They have Toys, and Comics(TFCC). All they need now is a TV Show and I think we are set.

11. neocon

neocon Well-Known Member

In my opinion: We had G1 and G2, then Beast Wars / Beast Machines count as G3. RiD / Armada / Energon / Cybertron count as G4. The 2007 movie (and the two sequels) count as G5. Animated counts as G6. I agree that "Classics" / Universe, not being supported by any TV show or comic, does not count as a "generation".

12. Magnus' Mate

Magnus' Mate Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Disagree on the "G3" tag.

Also disagree on including Unicron, Titanium Scourge, MP3 Soundwave, Primus and numerous others on your list. They are totally separate toylines.

It is fine for you to include them in however you are ordering your collection, but to ask what would make it "complete" - well, if you're potentially including all sorts of figures from other lines (just because they're "kind of" G1-inspired), it never will be complete!!

13. Black Omega

Black Omega Commander Panda Prime

For the sake of discussion the Classics line could be considered the end of G2 when you think about. G2 was the birth of some limited ball joints and improving articulation. Maybe the classics line could be what alot of the characters improved their alt modes to be for better disguises and an logical extention of G2?

Although I agree with the continuity issues that have been mentioned. That is especially relevent when you consider that Prowl and a whole bunch of others were killed off in TFTM.

I think calling the Classics "G3" is all about what you make of it. Each of us have the luxury of injecting our own ideas of the TF continuity within our own collections. For example I have my display set up in this continuity order;

G1 > G2 > Classics > Beast Wars > RID > Armada > Energon > Cybertron

I leave Alternators & the movie line out because I see them as having their own little niche seperate from any established TF continuity in my eyes. Plus their transforms are a bit of a different idea from G1, G2, Classics and the Unicron Trilogy. Hell because of bots coming on-line and going off-line I don't see G1/G2/Classics Prime as the same person as say Primal, RID Prime or the Unicron trilogy Prime.

I think it's all about what you make of it for yourself. TF's have been around long enough that we all know there will never be a single coherent continuity in the TF Universe. Certainly not from G1 all the way through to today's TF's.

14. Guardian_Prime

Last edited: Apr 12, 2009
  15. thenatureboywoo

thenatureboywoo Veteran

News Credits:
    I've been on here for a while and i haven't heard the term G3 till now. But that aside, it's your collection. If you want to call it G3 then don't let us stop you. I look at my classics/universe just as an update of the times to G1/G2.

16. Sun Swipe

Sun Swipe Well-Known Member

My two cents.

As far as the title of this series goes I feel as if it has already been established as "classic series"

And for the list stated above I feel it is fairly accurate. For a figure to truely be part of the series I think the box that the figue comes in will state what series it belongs to. But I have personal prefence in my collecting. My personal classic collection includes the mp3 soundwave due to it's rogue nature, but also excludes some figures like devastator. In my eyes devastator will always be a team of 6 each with it's unique mold.

I also have a hard time including Unicron even with the TRU box stating classic. They didn't even bother repainting him from the armada release.

And by the way, who is Primus? I don't remember him from back in the day.

17. Lt. Faceless

Lt. Faceless I'm a puppet

Primus is cybertron.I always thought that idea was stupid.Kind of like how the Matrix wasn't around until the movie.