The G1 Cartoon Got REALLY Good Towards The Middle Of Season 2.

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by GrimlockAutobot, Nov 20, 2008.

1. GrimlockAutobot

GrimlockAutobot Me No Bozo Me King!!

News Credits:
    A while back, I posted a thread where I called out the G1 cartoon. I said it was brutal and painful to watch and it wasn't what I remembered from my childhood.

Well, I take some of that back. The first season and a half was brutal and painful to watch.......then something happened. Towards the middle of season #2 the show got REALLY GOOD. The stories were written ALOT better and the animation got somewhat better as well. It occurred around the time characters like Inferno, Red Alert, Hoist, Grapple, and Beachcomber were introduced on the show.

I haven't watched all of season 2 yet but, I'm thoroughly pleased with what I've seen so far. Now, without spoiling too many episodes......do the next couple of seasons stay this good? Am I gonna stay pleased? Or is there going to be another letdown?

THANKS for Posting!!

2. Zherbus

Zherbus In Shogo Hasui, we trust.

News Credits:
    It's pretty good up through the Movie. Season three starts out well with the Five Faces of Darkness mini-series, then gets really sparse on the awesome meter. There are a few gems mixed in though.

3. Nevermore

Nevermore It's self-perpetuating a parahumanoidarianised!

News Credits:
    "Atlantis, Arise" and "Auto berserk" had some gorgeous animation, including well-drawn cel art.

4. Ravage

Ravage Decepticons forever!

I was rewatching my season 2 DVDs recently and was shocked at how beautiful the animation in Atlantis Arise was. Can't believe I hadn't noticed before.

5. Megatronwp38

Megatronwp38 Megatron? Is that you!?!?

The Golden Lagoon was also another good episode and well animated. Pretty much season 2 is the meat of g1. It could easily have been broken into two seasons.

6. mx-01 archon

mx-01 archon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    The Ultimate Weapon was always one of my faves. Haven't seen it in quite awhile, so not entirely sure how the animation holds up, but the plot was quite good.

7. Chris McFeely

Chris McFeely Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    What "makes" Season 2 is it's character-centric episodes that kick in halfway through. Season 3 doesn't really have these, but that's because it has a small, core cast who get pretty steady focus across the season.

8. Magnus' Mate

Magnus' Mate Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    If you can be open-minded about change, season 3 blows 2 out of the water in terms of good, character-driven stories (not all of 'em, but the majority). Enjoy!

9. FreshDebesh

FreshDebesh <b><font color=brickred>oye chak de phatte!</font> Veteran

Season 3 drops off a bit but has some gems like some of the others have said. I really do believe the G1 cartoon's peak was the middle of season 2.

10. Optimus Sledge

Optimus Sledge Yar har fiddle di dee

Really? Care to name one of these great episodes? I hear a lot about how Season 3 was so big on great characterisation, but I've yet to understand what people are talking about.

11. MushroomPrime

MushroomPrime ******

News Credits:
    If you want beautifully animated, watch Call of the Primitives

Jeez, why couldn't all the series be like that?

12. Sol Fury

Sol Fury The British Butcher Administrator News Staff

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Instagram:
    The Burden Hardest to Bear is the obvious response. Great Hot Rod / Rodimus centered episode dealing with how he handles the burden of leadership.

The Ultimate Weapon is another good one. Good episode about First Aid, a pacifist who leaves the fighting behind, you also get some development of Rodimus as he learns more confidence in facing Galvatron and his grandstanding.

I forget the title, but the episode where Cyclonus and Ultra Magnus are abducted and end up having to work together to escape the Quintessons is a very good episode, you learn a fair bit about Cyclonus and Ultra Magnus in that one.

I have to admit, though, I can't think of many Season 3 episodes with "massive" development though there are some nice character moments like the ones I cited above. Fight or Flee, for example, had some nice exploration of Sandstorm. Dark Awakening was a decent Optimus episode and yet more Rodimus development. I'm sure if I looked at an episode guide I could pull out other episodes, but you get the idea. It's mostly smaller character focus sequences out of bigger stories, while Season 2 was more character driven episodes.

13. Greyryder

Greyryder Kitbashed

Isn't midway through, when it became combiner of the week? That was when it went downhill, for me.

Season 3 had no good characters to focus on.

14. Chris McFeely

Chris McFeely Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Naw, the combiners only turn up for the last ten episodes. The single-character-focal episodes make up the guts of the second half of the season, before those combiner episodes finish it off. There's a few of them dotted around the first half of the season ("Master Builders", "Auto Berserk"), but once you hit "The Golden Lagoon," it's virtually a sold block of character-focal eps until the combiners arrive.

15. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Dry built

News Credits:
    Yeah, Season two had a lot of nuggets. Some gold, some brown, but the goldies sure were bright.

Even though S3 sucked, I really did like a lot of the character designs, and had some good and not-so-good concepts.

16. shroobmaster

shroobmaster Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I dunno if it's second season, but that episode about the whole golden lake thing is one my favorites in all Transformers series.

17. Vangelus

Vangelus Long Live the New Flesh Moderator Content Contributor

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Don't forget Webworld!

<3 Season 3

18. Backstop

Backstop Have you seen my box art?

News Credits:
    ah, All the G1 episodes were champ :) 

19. Johnator

Johnator 'Til All Are Gone!