The G.I. Joe Thread

Discussion in 'The Toyark' started by F18Starscream, Jul 10, 2009.

1. Slave IV

Slave IV more wealth than you can imagine!

Haha, my kids probably aren’t the best sample to go by since they live in a home filled to the brim with comic books and toys. One of our routines is I let them pick any comic book off the shelves and I read it to them and they love it! It's pretty cool to have kids see superheroes that are in the limelight today and be able to grab a library worth of their "real" stories for them to experience. I'm looking forward to the days when my son get a bit older to appreciate my collection of GI Joe comics, which is still one of my all time favorites to this day. One thing the kids are really into these days in Ninjago (and I must say, for good reason since it is pretty good all around) so I already read a few issues of GI Joe around the 30's to my daughter and she is intrigued by the whole uncertainty and blur between who some of the "good guys" and "bad guys" are. But yeah, these are kids that love the Robotech theme song and could sing the Transformers song since they could talk.

• Like Like x 3
  2. RolandofGilead

RolandofGilead Well-Known Member

I have three kids (15, 13, 8). My two older girls had a peripheral appreciation for toys because I do, but never really go into them. I even gave my younger girl all my GI Joe Kreo when she was 10, hoping to spur her interest. She loved them, then proceeded to lose every one.

My boy, who is my youngest absolutely loves action figures. He is mostly into Star Wars, but I've tried with GI Joe. I gave him a few 90's era brightly colored figures that he played with for a week before dropping them.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Shin Densetsu

Shin Densetsu I WILL DESTROY YOU Content Contributor Veteran

News Credits:
    My nephew went straight to nerfguns and playing battlefield when he came over. DLC codes are incentives that McFarlane and others have used for years with game figures.

So I think the same could work with GI Joe. Using the Battlefield engine, imagine having 32 vs 32 battles with HISS Tanks, Rattlers, et al. Then the DLC codes could unlock better weapons like the rail guns the TRU HISS had

4. RolandofGilead

I agree that GI Joe would benefit more from a superior video game than they ever did with the movies. Throw in an updated show on Cartoon Network, and who knows?

5. RKillian

RKillian http://www.rktoyandhobby.com

News Credits:
    Many years ago, they had a GIJoe arcade game. The camera was behind you and you ran forward against an onslaught of troops, tanks, helicopters, etc. It's one of those games like X-Men Arcade and Star Wars Arcade that bafflingly was never ported to consoles.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2018
    • Like Like x 1
  6. RolandofGilead

I would love to play something like that. I'd also be happy with something like Star Wars Battlefront designed for GI Joe.

• Like Like x 1
  7. SuperGrimlock

SuperGrimlock Cybertron Driver License

I'd lose my job because I probably wouldn't leave the house. I'd just be there yelling "Cobra!" And "Go Joe!" All day long.

• Like Like x 5
  8. Shin Densetsu

News Credits:
    Aw man I'd love for it to use the voices and music from the Sunbow cartoon.

Hasbro could easily do a mailaway incentive with flag points back too. Like buy x amount of Joe's and redeem battle points for a gold helmet Steel Brigade trooper and DLC code for upgraded battle armor and helmet.

• Like Like x 3
  9. Pharoid

Pharoid Time Traveling Robot

News Credits:
    GI Joe and MOTU have two unverises so perfect for a video game I am completely puzzled they haven’t been used.

• Like Like x 3
  10. Shin Densetsu

News Credits:
    This is making me nostalgic and it's hard to believe the 30th anniversary line was released 7 years ago. Time flies. I remember when POC wave 3 Snake Eyes was released and the comparison pics with the very 1st Snake Eyes from 1982. One hell of an upgrade.

Same with the 1984 Storm shadow compared to the Ultimate Storm Shadow from wave 4 of the Retaliation line.

GI Joe has always been a line of unused potential. At Joecon Hasbro used to show a "concept case" which pretty much was a presentation of shot down hopes and dreams. Lots of great stuff that never made it out.

Having known some things in the shadows....the design team went a lot farther than most would expect only to be nipped at the bud by cost cutting concerns. Hasbro ought to release a behind the scenes book one day. What the design team had planned and what actually made it to retail is like night and day. Even I was surprised.

• Like Like x 3
  11. SuperGrimlock

SuperGrimlock Cybertron Driver License

So, being back in the GI Joe mood, I'm going back for some 25th anniversary vehicles and some key figures I'm missing but never got around to picking up. Next on my list is Doc and the Cobra twins. I really want a rattler before I say I'm done with the 3.75 line since I absolutely loved playing with one a friend of mine had way back when. Which, I guess the reason why I wasn't in a hurry to get more vehicles when I was little was because mainly I was content playing with the neighbor's vehicles. Pretty sure he had almost every vehicle up to 91-92. Whatever year it was. I was maybe five or six. Whenever we played he was always the Joes and I was always cobra. Which that was fine to me since it meant I got to play with the rattler and night raven.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Shin Densetsu

News Credits:
    The Target 25th Rattler is great aside from the stickers(matte finish and won't stick well). It was retooled to be compatible with modern Joes and has sturdier rear landing gear.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Potchez

Potchez Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    Still amassing an army:
    IMG_20180915_223853.jpg

IMG_20180915_223915.jpg

IMG_20180915_224100.jpg IMG_20180915_224040.jpg IMG_20180915_224018.jpg IMG_20180915_223959.jpg IMG_20180915_223942.jpg

• Like Like x 3
  14. Star Saber

Star Saber Cybertron 5th Commander

News Credits:
    Dude it’s “Yo Joe!” :) 

• Like Like x 2
  15. Shin Densetsu

News Credits:
    @Potchez that POC Firefly pairs well with that bike. That's an underrated figure IMO. Jungle Viper, Night Viper and Shadow Tracker are good grabs too, if you don't already have them.

For generic ninjas, the Dark Ninja from the Retaliation line is one of the best we've seen.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Daimao

Daimao Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Thanks to this thread I'm going to order some Articulated Icons soon, what are the options for Snake Eyes heads? I've seen some pics but I'm not sure if they're customs or 3rd party.

17. Drangleic

Drangleic Banned

I'd prefer a Metal Gear Solid type of game where you infiltrate Cobra outposts and bases, eventually getting to the Terror Drom.

The US Flag could act like Motherbase.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Shin Densetsu

News Credits:
    That would work for someone like Snake Eyes but for most others...not sure. Another reason I mentioned the Battlefield engine is because it has different classes, like assault, engineer, recon, et al. So it could easily feature characters like Rock n Roll, Snake Eyes, Duke, et al.

I'm really surprised Hasbro hasn't already done it.

Reminds me, back in 2006 they were planning a line called Robot Rebellion. The premise was cyborg gijoes vs an army of various modified BATs and Cobra. It could work for a new line.

• Like Like x 2
  19. Pharoid

Pharoid Time Traveling Robot

News Credits:
    My dream Joe game; I wish it would be like Dragon’s Dogma with a multiplayer option like Destiny. (Sorry I am pretty limited in my gaming these days).
    A story mode with 1-3 AI Joes that you could set-up with some basic roles like an RPG, attack/defend/snipe etc. Have the popular characters throw out some ‘toon dialogue. And have all the action playability like Dogma. It could also have big events taking Cobra Island like Destiny.
    Hell there are so many key locals. You could have Joe hit Springfield, Millville, Broca Island.... take Monolith Base, Cobra Citadel, Castle Destro even before you got to Cobra Island proper... ( I know my base timeline is off)
    Every time you got to any major battle you can always flood the scene with green-shirt Joes. Hell even the option to just be tranditional Grunt would be awesome and you could keep upgrading him. This property is just being wasted by Hasbro.

• Like Like x 3
  20. Hotshotprime43

Hotshotprime43 Well-Known Member

Last week I found Sci-Fi (86)with his weapon and Dusty (85) for $4 each cheap at a mall

• Like Like x 2