The G.I. Joe Thread

Discussion in 'The Toyark' started by F18Starscream, Jul 10, 2009.

1. Blackout32

Blackout32 Anthrax - Persistence of Time

Thrash Metal fan huge Pantera/Hellyeah fan
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    YouTube:
    I'm wondering about something even though i don't own it. Does anyone that owns or knows think the USS Flag could be reissued but in a Metroplex or Titans Return Fort Max or even POTP Predaking size box so at least joe fans and myself could get it. I'd been thinking about that for awhile that i think it could work. It would have to be put together of course like orginal and take a bit longer but make the parts fit that size box. I understand the orginal box was freaking huge but we have computers with software that could make it work and fit that box. Plus the flagg would still be the 6ft or 7 ft long. I've seen videos on YouTube of guys putting it together which i think it could be done but the instructions of course would damn near be a book. Yes there would be a ton of parts to build it and of course manufacturer but i think Hasbro could make it happen. I was thinking like this cause Hasbro is making that Jabba skiff boat from Star Wars episode 6 and it was even crowd funded at that to boot. I also think if Hasbro wanted to make gi joe fans happy and make a boat load of money that is it. What do you guys think.

2. Timesynch

Timesynch I still function! TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I think the main problem may be the cost of the steel molds used to create the plastic parts for the Flagg. If Hasbro no longer has access to the original molds, then that's added cost of recreating them and the expense may end up not being worth it to Hasbro.

Heck, normal Joe vehicles are already a tough sell at mass retail and I've observed that many professed Joe fans would rather wait until things go on clearance sale before even thinking of picking something up at retail much less MSRP.

Sadly, I think a vehicle playset as huge as the Flagg would be a giant money sink for Hasbro and a risk they wouldn't want to take even with crowd funding like the 3.75" scaled Jabba the Hutt pleasure yacht. I'd love to be wrong though.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Blackout32

Blackout32 Anthrax - Persistence of Time

Thrash Metal fan huge Pantera/Hellyeah fan
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    YouTube:
    Hey thanks my friend cause I've wondered about it. You explained it perfect, just sad though Hasbro doesn't try and make it just for the fans anyway. I also love it when you said Jabba the Hutt pleasure yacht cause that was a good laugh i needed. Id love to have that Flagg to go with my joes. Also trying to get vehicle too is also sometimes they come out at the wrong time for me in affordable disposable income i can use. Heck,... I'd just love to get my hands on the tomahawk or eagle hawk cause i missed my chance and no one told me about it and now huge mark up of supply and demand.

4. Predakwon

Predakwon ...Green Lantern's light!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Oh man, that Steel Crusher.....

What a fantastic Joe vehicle.....

• Like Like x 2
  5. Timesynch

News Credits:
    Yeah, give Swindle that mold plus some suitcases full of money like the one that came with the Iron Grenadier "money bags" version of Destro. :D 

• Like Like x 1
  6. Macross7

Macross7 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    There is 0 chance it would fit in a Metroplex box. The one deckplate alone is bigger then the box's size. Also, the hull plates an parts of the superstructure would not fit in it. Even if they carved up the deck more and had the other parts divided up, it is still more then Metroplex's box will hold.

7. Timesynch

News Credits:
    My FSS Keel Haul will have to sip his coffee mug from a bookshelf and not from the deck of the USS Flagg.

8. NemiMonkey

NemiMonkey Whippin Dem Fungals

News Credits:
    Sure if you had like 8 of them stitched together. That thing is like the size of a small kids bed there's no way that's ever getting released ever again. For one the size alone would throw it in the few hundred dollar price tag if not breaching a grand. I don't know about you but I know no parent that would be willing to spend that much money on a singular toy, no matter how much play value it may have. That's just too much money at once.

9. northjason

northjason Well-Known Member

Speaking as a former owner of the Flagg, the idea of a seven foot long playset is a lot better than the reality of owning one. Not only did mine take up its own room, but the awkward shape makes it difficult to access the front and back of the control tower, especially if you set yours against a wall. Most of the Flagg is the deck--just a big, flat, table-like area. You can really only display three or four jets jets on it. Cats like to jump up on it. The deck doesn't hold together really well if you raise the setup above floor height.

If I wanted to own such an item again, I'd just buy the tower and cut a deck from MDO.

Now, the Terror Drome, on the other hand, is a great design, iconic, and to my mind a better candidate for an overpriced collector's edition reissue. Not that any such playset is likely at this point.

• Like Like x 2
  10. RolandofGilead

RolandofGilead Well-Known Member

Not likely, but I did love my Terrordrome.

11. Hicks_Royel

Hicks_Royel Possibly a manchildren...maybe?

News Credits:
    A person with some skill and determination could certainly make his own Flagg. Probably a better one at that.

12. Slave IV

Slave IV more wealth than you can imagine!

The Terrordrome is my favorite big GI Joe Playset of all time. That thing is awesome. Love the Firebats too. But mostly, I played with the still big but more accessible ships like the Hovercraft and Hydrofoil.

• Like Like x 1
  13. ChromeMagnus

ChromeMagnus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I found this on youtube the other day. Basically it is a collection of background music that Transformers and GI Joe shared starting in 1985.

• Like Like x 3
  14. RolandofGilead

RolandofGilead Well-Known Member

I initially only wanted the Terrordrome for the Firebat and Pilot. I talked my mom into grabbing me one at a discount (30% off) when Gemco went out of business. I used to keep it on an old, disused ping pong table that was a stand in for Cobra Island.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Shin Densetsu

Shin Densetsu I WILL DESTROY YOU Super Mod

News Credits:
    One of the former Hasbro designers a few years back thinks that 3D printing is making strides faster and faster, to the point where making your own Flaggs might just be a matter of trading CAD files and using whoever has the best 3D printer. I don't know where 3D printing is at the moment(or if you can print with ABS and POM pellets sturdy enough for the Flagg). However the designer felt like this was inevitable.
    I don't doubt it. I've thought about making one out of a table.
    Back in the early 2000's it was said that if it did come back, it would have to be at least $300.

Whether Hasbro considered it or not since, I wouldn't be surprised. You guys would be surprised at some of the things they attempted. As good as the 30th line was, some of what we got was actually on the cheaper side of what they were actually attempting.

Maybe one day they'll show it at a future convention.

I hope if Hasbro ever brings back Joe's, that they are at least on par with the 50th releases but go back to easy to disassemble torso construction(like the 3.75's that could be taken apart with a screw instead of having to be broken apart).

• Like Like x 2
  16. JoeScibelli

JoeScibelli That one Piranacon fanboy

So I crossed enemy lines
    [​IMG]
    For $6 I figured it was worth a shot trying to turn this (honestly really cool) tank mold into a completely respectable looking vehicle with a can of spray paint and a brush.
    [​IMG]
    I got it fully disassembled and about half of it is prime, what colors should I make it? For what it's worth I do have some giant Cobra decals for vehicles, but I could always just make a Joe thing instead. Either way, I got a decent amount of colors and no idea what to do. I'd like to stick to darker palettes tho, like I've got Macragge blue from Citadel if I went Cobra, which is on the darker end of things.

17. SHINOBI03

SHINOBI03 Well-Known Member

Arrived.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Luckily it's not that big so I still have some room on the same shelf, but that cardboard floor sheet is terrible.

• Like Like x 1
  18. JoeScibelli

How's the plastic feel? I've been looking into Joe bootlegs for the sake of accessories and vehicles that just would be difficult to get elsewhere.

19. SHINOBI03

SHINOBI03 Well-Known Member

The plastic quality is good for a cheap knock off line. The only thing that would be annoying is the bendy guns that warp in package. But the vehicles, watch towers, bases and little accessories here and there like crates and fences are in good quality. They quality of this line is miles better than The Corps line.

• Like Like x 1
  20. JoeScibelli

Alright sweet

Honestly, that corps tank I posted above feels pretty alright. At least, for $6; nothing feels like it could just, snap out of regular use or moving around. For the meantime tho, I'm painting it. I just gotta figure out what colors to go with, and then I'll be set.

Funny thing, it probably has one of the best drybrush applications I've ever seen on a retail toy :p