The G.I. Joe Thread

Discussion in 'The Toyark' started by F18Starscream, Jul 10, 2009.

1. djmajin

djmajin Masterpiece Collector

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Instagram:
    its Ultimetal Prime and its an upscaled version of the 3.75 Snake eyes I found on ebay
    I think its either a scaled up bootleg or a leaked hasbro test shot in regards to a 6 inch scale Joe line. Its the exact same mold as the 25th Snake Eyes

• Like Like x 2
  2. SHINOBI03

SHINOBI03 Well-Known Member

So I ordered some Joe figures over the the last few days and here's the first one received:
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 4
  3. SHINOBI03

And here are four more.
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  4. Raiju

Raiju Navel Shocker Veteran

News Credits:
    Flickr:
    Finally had a chance to crack open the SDCC IDW Revolutions boxed set this weekend. Rom (all that shiny silver) and Leoric (even if the Visionaries holograms are fake, the overall presentation of the figure is nice) are definitely my favorites out of the bunch.

Dire Wraith is OK as far as freaky weird monster Joes are concerned; nothing too special with him. Matt Trakker isn't so different from what we already got (just sans the gyrocopter backpack and change of skin pigmentation). Action Man I never had any connection to as a kid; face sculpt is just weird/ugly.

Muttonchops Roadblock is pretty cool although he's missing his signature .50 cal Browning M2 (remedied easily enough since I have a lot of spare Joe weapons and accessories). Makes me want to pick up the rest of the Resolute Joes. Micronauts being static little figurines aren't terribly exciting but they're decently done considering their size. Jetfire I plan to sticker up with Macross Reprolabels.

I'm a little disappointed that aside from Roadblock, the other figures have the G.I. Joe live action movie-style display stands (that resemble ridged dog tags), which I tend not to care for. I get why they chose that design since with the exception of Roadblock, none of them are officially aligned as G.I. Joe or with Cobra (although weirdly enough, the bottom of all these stands do have Cobra symbols on them).

Overall, I'm happy with this set! I'm kinda hoping that with the IDW Transformers vs. Visionaries comic run that we'll see a future SDCC set with more Visionaries figures done in the Joe-style, but that's probably a long shot.

• Like Like x 1
  5. SHINOBI03

The easiest and quickest custom I've ever made:
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  6. Shin Densetsu

Shin Densetsu I WILL DESTROY YOU Content Contributor Veteran

News Credits:
    I wonder what Hasbro will do for the 2020 GiJoe movie reboot. Hopefully the toys don't suck.

Anything good(Sigma 6, POC-50th line) ended in the past decade. Sigma 6 was such an underrated toyline. I'm disappointed Hasbro brought the failing 12" line back instead of bringing Sigma 6 back with movie designs. Well anything really, Sigma 6 was an innovative, unique and VERY STURDY toyline.

7. Laser_Optimus

Laser_Optimus Currently no longer giving a shit about the MCU. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    I hope that Hasbro finally gives GI Joe a 6" Legends style line.

• Like Like x 2
  8. RKillian

RKillian http://www.rktoyandhobby.com

News Credits:
    I remember Sigma Six being...well...I guess like any other line, a single shelfwarmer clogging shelves everywhere. I liked the two or three I managed to get but I really preferred the 25th 12-inch subline that they also bailed on very quickly. Also I was disappointed that they never did Scarlet but that was way before anybody besides Toybiz was doing female characters.

9. Shin Densetsu

News Credits:
    The 25th 12" subline seemed thrown together to me. The new heads were too big and the bodies used weren't the super articulated ones that Hasbro had used in the mid-2000's for their non-ARAH 12" figures. I got Storm Shadow since he's my favorite character but regretted it. It had potential but the execution wasn't 100% there.

Sigma 6 had a lot of unique tooling. Loved the playability and the lockers.

10. SHINOBI03

Last one received.
    [​IMG]

1/18 scale figures weren't my thing before. I'm mainly a 1/12 scale collector. But damn do I now wish this 1/18 scale was the standard everywhere.

Only thing they really need to work on are the elbows.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2018
    • Like Like x 1
  11. Tenebre

Tenebre Sharkticon

I hear ya, I love the 1/18 scale, for the vehicle/diorama interaction...but also the fact that they don't take up as much space! I'm mostly a Star Wars collector, but I dabbled in Joes for a while, they are fun.

• Like Like x 2
  12. Pharoid

Pharoid Time Traveling Robot

News Credits:
    Well it would be nice since they don’t have to pay for licensing they could spend money on a decent figure. Hasbro should strike now with a 6” Sunbow line. I like that they keep the scale the same for the regular figures. But right now a 6” Toon line would be hot and sell.

• Like Like x 1
  13. AzT

AzT Moderator News Staff TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
  14. Shin Densetsu

News Credits:
  15. ChromeMagnus

ChromeMagnus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Or better yet, announce reissues/tweaks of 80s ARAH vehicles.

• Like Like x 2
  16. RKillian

RKillian http://www.rktoyandhobby.com

News Credits:
    They're probably running low on vault items.

17. Liege Prime

Liege Prime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I caved in and bought my first club figure- Rampart. He was a childhood favorite of mine that I promised myself I would buy if they made him for the club... and they did... so I did. I'm happy to have him but not crazy about how they changed his jacket so that it doesn't go down around his hips. First time buying a new Joe in a while.

18. Star Saber

Star Saber Cybertron 5th Commander

News Credits:
    Saw the news announcement for the end of the Bayverse continuity, and saw that a Joe movie is scheduled for 2020. Has there been any other news for this - because this is the first I've heard of it. Would have expected some sort of production or casting news already at this point.

I really hope Hasbro gets it to work this time - GI joe really deserves better as a toyline.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Laser_Optimus

Laser_Optimus Currently no longer giving a shit about the MCU. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    They've been talking about it for awhile now, but there's pretty much zero known about it outside of a release date and that it'll be a reboot. I'm hoping for some kick ass new toys if this takes off. Love GI Joe, but Hasbro seems to have pulled a Mattel and forgot how to market the property.

20. Slave IV

Slave IV more wealth than you can imagine!

As much as I think GI Joe had the best action figures as a kid, I don't need yet another reboot of those same toys with more more corners cut. If they actually make an ultra premium line that remakes the original styles with definitive quality, I'm in. Anything less and we've seen it over and over and over and over again.