The G.I. Joe Thread

Discussion in 'The Toyark' started by F18Starscream, Jul 10, 2009.

1. Raiju

Raiju Navel Shocker Veteran

News Credits:
    Flickr:
    Yeah, it took a bit of finagling to squeeze 25th Ann. Capt Ace (the POC/30th Ann. version won't fit) and Wild Weasel into the cockpits of their respective MotorMax F-22 Raptors (I own the gray camo version, the all black variant, and a custom painted white version labeled up with classic Joe Skystriker stickers), and two Air Vipers into the True Heroes Apache Longbow. And these vehicles aren't nearly as detailed as those 1/18 scale models mentioned above either.

2. Shin Densetsu

Shin Densetsu I WILL DESTROY YOU Content Contributor Veteran

News Credits:
    Most will fit if they're by BBI. It's a tighter fit if they're WW2 warbirds/F-104's from 21st century toys. I have the BBI Hornet, Kiowa and Apache. They are compatible with modern Joes. Just be warned, they're freaking huge. It's an eye opener seeing them in person. A lot of joe fans used the BBI Humvees and armor for their joes.

What's nuts is that the BBI Apache and Blackhawk used to be $30 at Target and the Hornet/Falcon both went for $80 more than 10 years ago.

3. SmokePants

SmokePants Well-Known Member

Yeah, those are BBI vehicles and they fit modern Joes a hell of a lot better than the official GI Joe vehicles do. I have the following: Blackhawk (green, transport), Blackhawk (black, gunship), Apache, Abrams, Humvee, and LAV. Also good were the Bravo Team vehicles from about 5-6 years ago. I have an Abrams and Bradley from that line.

They aren't *made* for the figures and you will have some clearance issues on certain figures in certain seats, in certain vehicles, but they really cannot be beat as display centerpieces.

I steered clear of the big jets because they take up a ton of space and they would be difficult to store compactly without risking damage or warping. Also, if I'm devoting that much space to a vehicle, I prefer that they can be loaded up with troops.

But yeah, these are the way to go as far as pairing up modern figures and vehicles. Even the Eaglehawk is garbage by comparison and I LOVED and have so much nostalgia for the Tomahawk. They're just WAAAAY too small for modern figures. They're too small for vintage figures, really. Try posing the figures using the rear ramp. It's absurd.

4. Shin Densetsu

Shin Densetsu I WILL DESTROY YOU Content Contributor Veteran

News Credits:
    I see the appeal of vehicles in-scale but I realized that for myself, there is a limit to how big I actually want a vehicle toy to be. For example, my Skystrikers and Conquests got far more play than my BBI Hornet ever did. Those specific jets were neither too big nor too small, they were just right for me.

However I understand the appeal of truly in-scale vehicles wished companies continued to make them. 10 years back the prices were great!

• Like Like x 1
  5. SmokePants

SmokePants Well-Known Member

Jets are the exception for me. As I explained above, I didn't buy the BBI planes because they were impractical. The smaller Joe jets, to me, are preferable. But as far as tanks, fighting vehicles, and choppers go, I want them big and realistic.

These vehicles, plus the big Star Wars vehicles, are items I will never get rid of. I was hoping to add the Hiya Toys Aliens APC to that list, but it turns out they're not even going to start making the molds until pre-orders reach a certain level, which may not happen. So, if anybody wanted that thing, but hasn't pre-ordered, you might want to hop to it. Or don't. Pre-ordering is kind of stupid, so I can't blame anyone for not doing it, even if it means it won't get made.

6. Raiju

Raiju Navel Shocker Veteran

News Credits:
    Flickr:
    So I got the ROC RHINO recently and put it together. I'm impressed! Such a fun vehicle and the copter/APC combo gimmick works quite nicely!

Just finished putting the stickers on it and gonna load it up with more troops later this weekend.

I was trying to decide between the ROC version and the original 2005 black/tan version, before I went with ROC. I didn't think I would like the blue at first, but it's a very dark steel blue in person and looks pretty cool, especially with the slightly metallic blue paint on the wheels. Definitely reminds me of James Cameron's Aliens APC, which I dig!

RHINO.jpg

Last edited: Jun 15, 2017
    • Like Like x 3
  7. BW megatron

BW megatron tiran

it's one of the greatest vehicules ever made in gi joe, we need more like that, way more. It has functional gimicks, internal space, great looks. The only minus is the springloaded misslies who are too big so they hamper access when put on the vehicule.
    I got both and i prefer the 2005 version colors myself.

• Like Like x 1
  8. JoeScibelli

JoeScibelli That one Piranacon fanboy

Still gotta pick up the badass.

On another note, I picked up some more Marauders Task Force stuff.

And for whatever reason, there's still a 9 day processing delay. Free stuff, I guess...

9. Predakwon

Predakwon ...Green Lantern's light!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    • Like Like x 2
  10. JoeScibelli

11. Scourgatron

Scourgatron 4D Smart-ass

News Credits:
    Hasbro should've at least finished off the concept vault before they abandoned us.

Screw TRU and sell to us on HTS or BBTS in single packs.

12. Scourgatron

Scourgatron 4D Smart-ass

News Credits:
  13. RKillian

RKillian http://www.rktoyandhobby.com

News Credits:
    Eh, it's three figures everybody already has and a cardboard backdrop. I would've been more interested if there had been some plastic parts at least.

14. ChromeMagnus

ChromeMagnus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I just prefer that Cobra Commander be a bit more screen accurate:

Pro:
    blue paint app on the sides of shoes

Cons:
    missing white paint app on top of helmet
    gloves don't visibly extend up to forearms

15. JoeScibelli

unless if you're like me and only just got into GI Joe

16. RKillian

RKillian http://www.rktoyandhobby.com

News Credits:
    Yeah but what sort of premium are you going to pay for that bit of cardboard above and beyond the next to nothing previous releases of those three toys go for? Hasbro charged $20 for the cardboard in its Star Wars 40th set and that wasn't even an exclusive.

17. JoeScibelli

A friend of mine actually bought it and according to him only about half of it was cardboard, the other part being a plastic base.

18. Slave IV

Slave IV more wealth than you can imagine!

Yeah, a flimsy, cheap plastic base worth maybe $1?

19. JoeScibelli

Keep in mind, plastic is still expensive, even if it isn't much. That alone means that it's still more expensive to produce than something completely cardboard. That base can't be completely compared to the price of the cardboard diorama piece in that Convention exclusive set because half of it is made of a material that is still more expensive than cardboard (and, also, the fact that Star Wars items sometimes have price markups due to the licensing, something GI Joe does not have).

20. Slave IV

Slave IV more wealth than you can imagine!

Not gonna argue against that...Just saying they charged a $20 premium for a piece of cardboard and crappy stand that I could have done a better job printing out and making with play dough.