The G.I. Joe Thread

Discussion in 'The Toyark' started by F18Starscream, Jul 10, 2009.

1. JoeScibelli

JoeScibelli That one Piranacon fanboy

Recently went to my local comic shop and found one of two GI Joe 2-packs they had for sale (the other was using an older body and looked terrible so I skipped on that).

Blowtorch is a not terrible yet only adequate figure, but the Cobra Viper, the Viper...
    upload_2017-5-26_20-53-3.png
    This toy is freaking FUN. I adore that I can get him into a pose like this with the only modifications being tightened joints. It's such a versatile toy. I might need to buy some more accessories for him, honestly...

• Like Like x 2
  2. ChromeMagnus

ChromeMagnus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I broke down and picked up the 25th reissue Tiger Rat (Tiger Force Rattler) MISB.

• Like Like x 1
  3. CVprowl

CVprowl Done

That is a fun Cobra!

Tigerforce is one thing I have managed to steer clear from, but I admit the deco is alluring. LOL. :D 

• Like Like x 1
  4. CVprowl

CVprowl Done

Man, this is the one I was looking forward to most to go with my restored Cobra MAGGOT, but the vest and legs look a little funky. :(  Still need to get some antennas for my minty ARAH WORMS. Looking for repros.

Screen Shot 2017-05-28 at 4.36.21 AM.png

• Like Like x 1
  5. ChromeMagnus

News Credits:
    It's like a gateway. Once you go Tigerforce then you have to go Python Patrol.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Pharoid

Pharoid Time Traveling Robot

News Credits:
    You can do a cut down on the vest and make it fit better.

7. CVprowl

CVprowl Done

You mean under the arms?

8. Liege Prime

Liege Prime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    So apparently they announced Rampart as part of the 6.0 Sub Service. If anyone doesn't want him, PM me.

9. CVprowl

CVprowl Done

Thats one of the few I need.

10. CVprowl

CVprowl Done

These are the ones I think I might need. With the underwhelming 13th figure the previous round, I don't think I'll be signing up for this next round. I think many may be feeling the same way and that might mean this round has higher aftermarket prices. Especially on that WORMS...

Maybe Ghostrider doesn't make the cut...

Screen Shot 2017-05-28 at 4.36.21 AM.png Screen Shot 2017-05-28 at 4.24.04 PM.png Screen Shot 2017-05-28 at 4.23.17 PM.png Screen Shot 2017-05-28 at 4.23.03 PM.png Screen Shot 2017-05-28 at 4.23.35 PM.png Screen Shot 2017-05-28 at 4.23.47 PM.png

Last edited: May 28, 2017
    • Like Like x 1
  11. Pharoid

Pharoid Time Traveling Robot

News Credits:
    No, no. If the chest covering (the rubber suit) is too loose and boxy you can cut the excess down with a razor; where the suit attaches. The attachments are then likely useless and you have to glue the new seem. But it looks infinitely better.

12. CVprowl

CVprowl Done

Ah, I see. Who else used this vest? Maybe the Mayhem guy from the IG set?

13. Starscream 91

Starscream 91 Mech With A Mouth

News Credits:
    Going to an auction on Saturday and some of the items to bid on include some what I assume to be original 1980s GI Joes, trying to figure out by looking at prices online just how high I should bid... Probably looking at no more then 60 for the bunch I don't know.

14. ChromeMagnus

News Credits:
    Anyone picking this up?

2017 GI Joe Shattered Glass Xamot Club Exclusive Subscription
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

15. Shin-Gouki

Shin-Gouki Retired Admln Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Handle):
    Pinterest:
    I wish there was a Tomax too.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Star Saber

Star Saber Cybertron 5th Commander

News Credits:
    How is this guy SG? He seems pretty much in line with his usual portrayal in Joe media. That said, this is a great variation of the guy, it's the first time he's ever been put in that suit right?

edit: ok just read through the end of the file card, not sure if that's enough of a twist to justify the SG designation, but it seems very light for the usual mirror universe twist on a character.

17. Raiju

Raiju Navel Shocker Veteran

News Credits:
    Flickr:
    I got him recently and I have to say that in-hand, his head is way too big. The sculpt isn't bad per se but the ginormously proportioned bobblehead kinda ruins what is otherwise a decent figure (the suitcase is apparently filled with money as a la Iron Grenadier "Money Bags" Destro). HissTank had some folks put on the 25th Anniversary comic classic versions of Xamot's head on the figure but that head is too small and sits kinda high on the neck post. Whoever comes up with a replacement (proportionate sized) head would clean up, I'd imagine.

Same here but this figure is based on the Shattered Glass version of the character where he's just a singular guy with split personality disorder who sees his "twin brother" Tomax in the mirror. Doubtful we'll see a Tomax to match this Xamot, unfortunately.

I also received the other more recent figures in the FSS 5.0 to include:

Ambush (good figure even if his helmet looks a tad too big)

Scoop (decent figure who gets the job done if not terribly exciting)

Gaucho (OK looking repaint of 50th Gung-Ho; I'm not too familiar with Z-Force at all though but I get the international appeal however limited it is)

Raptor (fantastic update to such a ridiculous character concept--arguably the best figure of the lot with Salvo a close second)

Steel Raven (not bad but the clothing parts mix is strange and there are paint app issues with the head especially when it's cast entirely in flesh tone and then the rest painted over to include the hair and eye patch--she does look good next to Iron Klaw)

G.I. Jane (surprise 13th figure; not too bad but the white lab coat part is way too large for her slim frame while I would've preferred a different head like Daina's rather than a blonde Helix--the choice of gun belt also sucks because it's way over-sized since it's meant for a larger male figure)

I saw the offerings of FSS 6.0 and I have to say that I'm not too terribly jazzed about them aside from WORMS Officer, Nightstalker Cobra Trooper (female), and Guillotine. Not sure I'll bite.

In other news, I caved and bought a G.I. Rhino vehicle based solely on the recommendation of you guys. :D  Looking forward to getting it (I've long since had its driver Rampage that I bought separately; I don't mind having two Rampages).

Also, I had this custom G.I. Joe Colton in his Green Beret outfit (since I missed out on the original FSS G.I. Joe Colton) for a while but recently got him a sweet new custom bike to ride around on (I believe it's a Maisto dirt bike painted military green with diecast and working spring suspension on the rear wheel).

GI_Joe_Cycle.jpg

Last edited: Jun 7, 2017
  18. koonfasa

koonfasa Well-Known Member

19. ChromeMagnus

News Credits:
  20. Slave IV

Slave IV more wealth than you can imagine!

Based on my experience, GI Joe figures should be just a tad to big to fit into realistic 1/18 models. Main reason being they have all the realistic control panels, seats and things that make it hard to fit compared with GI Joe vehicles that have big openings and minimal obstruction inside. Some of the smaller, female figures from Marvel Legends line could fit.