The G.I. Joe Thread

Discussion in 'The Toyark' started by F18Starscream, Jul 10, 2009.

1. Raiju

Raiju Navel Shocker Veteran

News Credits:
    Flickr:
    The 90's was a strange time.

• Like Like x 1
  2. DPrime

DPrime Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    It's actually becoming more common to wear combats that way in the field, at least. But yeah, not for an '80s character like Billy!

3. bagofshhh

bagofshhh Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    That video was almost perfect, except Skidmark was from 1988, not 1998.

4. DPrime

DPrime Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Yeah, I didn't agree that Gung Ho (V3?) was terrible, but his reasoning about the tattoo moving around was pretty spot on, lol.

Loved the part about Bazooka in fishing gear and his grenade bracelet, lol. Hate that figure. :) 

5. Raiju

News Credits:
    Flickr:
    Received the 3rd FSS 5.0 shipment: General Flagg and Sneak Peek. Both look pretty good!

FSS_5.0_3rd_Wave.jpg

Flagg isn't a character I really care about but I kinda dig his "greaser bike gang member" look and I think an ol' Thompson submachine gun (courtesy of Marauders Inc.) works really well with him. His HK MP5 (that comes included with him) fits neatly into his green briefcase (alongside the Top Secret file accessory).

Sneak Peek is done really well here and I have no complaints other than I wish that his tactical harness/vest had a hole in the back so that he can wear a backpack as an option. Without it, it's somewhat difficult to stow some of his gear (like his included radio; but I found a way to have him wear it).

Last edited: Mar 26, 2017
    • Like Like x 1
  6. AzT

AzT Moderator News Staff TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
  7. Shin Densetsu

Shin Densetsu I WILL DESTROY YOU Content Contributor Veteran

News Credits:
    • Like Like x 2
  8. Liege Prime

Liege Prime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Sneak peek looks good and I like Flaggs design but damn they gave him a tiny head.

9. Raiju

News Credits:
    Flickr:
    Yeah, a lot of copy-pasta'd bios that we've all read a million times before. The article could've had a bit more meat on it if they were trying to tie it into Women's History Month or something (and there's no shortage of cool stories of women making their mark in military and world history).

Yeah, his head is tiny but it works for me with the silly giant hat. :D  Sneak Peek has a bit more pelvic thrust going on in that photo than I originally intended, lol. I've since fixed that.

10. Raiju

News Credits:
    Flickr:
    I didn't much like the stock female Cobra Officer we ended up getting (tight shirt + puffy MC Hammer parachute pants = weird combo), so I bought this custom painted one and customized her gear a little bit.

Cobra_Officer.jpg

Here she is with FSS Interrogator.

Interrogator_Cobra_O.jpg

Custom Female Cobra Officer with the Club 3-pack of Female Cobra Troopers.

Cobra_Femmes_0.jpg

I think they look great together as a squad! Go get those Joes, girls!

Cobra_Femmes_1.jpg

• Like Like x 5
  11. CVprowl

CVprowl Done

Any Joe Kre-o/Lego fans around here? :) 

One reason I like them is that you can make your own characters and vehicles so easily.

I also got a lot of great stuff from Geewunner.

This is my Cobra Legion shelf. :D 

DSCF9461.jpg

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 3
  12. WhiteMocha

WhiteMocha Well-Known Member

Great setup! Those look really nice all together.

I loved Joe Kre-o. I have a complete collection of them, but haven't had time or space to really get it set up yet. And a few of the larger sets (like the Terror Drome and Dojo) remain boxed and unbuilt at this point. I can't wait to get them all set up one day, though.

I still wish they had squeezed out, like, one more series of blind-bagged Kreons. It's frustrating that there were clearly figures for whom the parts existed (like Spirit, Barbecue, and Shipwreck) that never saw release, or never saw release in their original colors. Though I do love the Slaughters Marauders, and getting some of the characters through there was certainly better than nothing.

• Like Like x 1
  13. CVprowl

CVprowl Done

Any love for some Dreadnoks and Iron Grenadiers!?! :D 

DSCF0494.jpg

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 5
  14. ChromeMagnus

ChromeMagnus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Hello all,

As a TF collector, I've just recently started dipping my toe into GI Joe collecting. I think I've created a monster. lol.
    My focus is reissues/repaints of 80s ARAH era vehicles and modern versions of 80s 3/4 figures. So basically I'm into the 25th, 30th, and 50th Anniversary figures and vehicles. I'm basically playing catchup since most of this stuff was released during the 2000s. I really hope Hasbro reissues the Killer Whale, Mauler, Night Raven and other 80s vehicles and figures.

This was the only GI Joe post I could find on this board that seems to cater to my interest. I have an account on Hisstank.com but the interface on TFW2005 is better updated and far more user friendly.

15. Slave IV

Slave IV more wealth than you can imagine!

Enjoy! My OG Killer Whale is one of my all time favorite toys. I got a lot of use out of that thing. Real finicky with tons of loose little parts but it could float forever. Used to have epic bathtub battles with that, the Moray and Water Moccasin.

16. ChromeMagnus

News Credits:
    I hope we see that vehicle again soon. I received the 25th green color Water Moccosin along with a 25th Copperhead (green costume version). The Moray would be nice too. I'm a little pissed that the 30th Skystriker isn't a 2 seater like the original.

• Like Like x 1
  17. CVprowl

CVprowl Done

Is there a reason why you aren't open to going and buying the vintage vehicles? They aren't really that expensive. My Modern Era collection has been heavily subsidized with vintage vehicles because I don't think Hasbro is going to do a lot of them, including the WHALE, Moray, and Mauler.

Anyway, my advice is not to wait around for Hasbro to rerelease anything. Just go get what you want. The prices aren't that bad. The WHALE is tricky because of its fragility and many tiny pieces though. Keep your eyes out for reproduction parts. They can help out sometimes. :) 

18. CVprowl

CVprowl Done

Who loves the Joes? :) 

Gotta get all my pics done before I put the Kreos away for a bit. ;)  DSCF0739.jpg

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
  19. ChromeMagnus

News Credits:
    From what I've experienced some of the modern reissue vehicles have improvements on them. I may consider vintage vehicles if there are no modern reissue versions and if I can get it complete at a reasonable price with no parts missing or broken. I haven't seen that with the Whale yet but who knows.

20. CVprowl

CVprowl Done

A complete unbroken WHALE is going to be spendy, yeah.

I'm pretty sure I got mine for under $100 (I wasn't really counting) after buying two and bashing them together for everything I needed unbroken and then selling off the pieces I didn't need. I also got reproduction vanes and then sold the originals that were unbroken for top coin. That helped. :) 

Good luck! :)