The future of Transformers post Movie 2

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by rherk, Sep 21, 2008.

1. rherk

rherk KNERDOUT

Ebay:
    As a big Transformers fan or perhaps I should say a huge fan of transforming robots seeing it isn't necessarily the mythos of Transformers I like so much but the concept of a vehicle/beast that can turn into a robot. I ponder what will the future hold for the "main" line? Currently as the main line Hasbro has given us a great series of Transformers toys that represent their animated counterparts very well. It is a great departure from any Transformers series of the past as they are ultra stylized. I normally prefer a more serious "realistic" robot nevertheless, I have fallen for the animated series.

After the animated line finishes off, we all know what to expect, more movie figures for the film sequel titled: Transformers Revenge of the Fallen. Although I did enjoy the first movie for what it was I am not a fan of the overall designs. I feel there is far too much going on. Sometimes simplicity works better. So, as I was saying, 2009 will be a whole slew of robots that look only slightly like their film counterparts. However, their shelf life is limited. Eventually Hasbro will have to create a new series to continue the great success of their in house brand. The question is, what direction will Hasbro go in this time? I wish they would go for a realistic line based on realistic vehicles like Alternators but I am pretty sure that will not happen as it is too expensive for them to get all the rights to the vehicles and they will certainly want to have the main line coincide with a cartoon. Therefore, that is out of the question. I doubt they will go right back into the animated style. So, what other options are there? They could go back to beasts with a Beast Wars type of show but I think they will probably not go that route because they would most likely want to stick with something familiar to the movie characters and style.

This is a tough question because you never know. The Animated series came out of left field but was actually quite an obvious choice considering that is the style of today's successful cartoons. I am trying to think of the up and coming trends with toys and cartoons and I can't seem to pinpoint anything. Perhaps, Hasbro will come up with a concept mixing Beasts and vehicles but not in the same way as Beast Machines. This could prove successful seeing both styles have proven to be a win for Hasbro.

Whatever it is I hope it is a step up. I like what they have done with the animated line but wouldn't mind them going back to a more serious style. Most of all I hope Hasbro creates some new characters. Don't get me wrong, I love the classics especially Optimus Prime. However, with all the homage's going around these days, I think it may be time for a series with some fresh new faces. I think there would be nothing more refreshing than creating a new set of characters as was done with the Beast Wars. It is time for a new mythos to be created. After awhile Starscream and Bumblebee get old.

Here's to the future.

2. Dropshot

Dropshot Transform your destiny

News Credits:
    It's highly possible that we get some webisodes with mature content, like GI Joe Resolute. Universe will definately carry on, also Animated should carry on, but who knows for how long.

3. Kickback

Kickback @GeekWithChris Administrator News Staff

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Tumblr:
    I heard a rumor from a reliable source that Season 4 of Animated has begun in planning stages, which would put Animated through 2010, with movie 3 coming in 2011.

4. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Be strong enough to be gentle

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    Hell, Kickback hasn't steered me, or anyone else, wrong in the past, so I ahve no reason not to believe this.

5. girafeswordsman

girafeswordsman Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Season 4?!

FUCK YEAH!

6. Nachtsider

Nachtsider Banned

News Credits:
    :jawdropper:  :bay 

7. Wheeljack_Prime

Wheeljack_Prime Searching for the Infin-Honey Stones

News Credits:
    A live-action tv show would be awesome, but costly.

8. Kickback

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Tumblr:
    Hasbro got sick of a new year = new story just like we did. Animated is their new baby, and it's doing well, so why not stick with it and do some re-imagining every so often with the characters, etc.?

9. Mospeada

Mospeada Since '84

News Credits:
    We can rest assured that no matter what, we'll always be getting new toys and new shows. There won't be any long stretches of no new content like 1990-96 for new shows ever again (or more like 87-96 in the US), I see no reason for that happening. And the toys, remember, those never went away and never will go away, movies or no.

10. Kickback

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Tumblr:
    The movie is bringing a whole new fanbase to Transformers.

Hasbro would rather keep a solid continuity through the movie tenure than switch it up time and time again. Imagine if Movie 1 came out during Armada, and Movie 2 during Cybertron.

That would be so confusing to the kids.

11. Mospeada

Mospeada Since '84

News Credits:
    So you think Animated will be the only show going throughout the movie series? I see Animated lasting through all three, but I bet they roll out a new series after that. The movies may very well go beyond 3 though.

Good point about how confusing it may be to kids though. I was wondering in 2007, what kids who saw TF on the big screen were comparing it to. The most recent series was Cybertron.

I have to wonder if there will be any Japanese produced TF series in the near future, actually.

12. Dreweido

Dreweido Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Yeah... we need new people to keep both the fandom (as a hobby and as something worthwhile to be a part of) and the franchise going. Hasbro has to keep gaining new consumers of their products to keep up. While the Movie did very well for the Transformers brand a company can use an expanding fanbase/dedicated brand shopper to their advantage. :D 

13. Silent_Magnus

Silent_Magnus Taint of Primus

News Credits:
    Takara is probably just going to sticking close to those fan-oriented small run lines for awhile. Since Transformers isn't doing that well over there right now.

14. Alienbot

Alienbot Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Animated could easily last five years like Teen Titans and The Batman, just to compare to other recent CN series. And the Movies could last for ages, Paramount will recast actors and hire new directors/writers.

15. doomtron

doomtron Hunter

News Credits:
    i vote for a time traveling universe hopping universe series

16. CryoPrime

CryoPrime Cody A.

That would be pretty cool. If it were animated traditionally.

17. Ravenxl7

Ravenxl7 W.A.F.F.L.E.O.

News Credits:
    I personally think Animated will be phased out for the Movie line, with Universe continuing on threw the year. Then once the main Movie line is phased out, Animated will probably pick back up with a fourth, maybe fifth, season, and some new toys. Then basically the same thing happening for the third movie, but maybe a different show starting up after that is finished. What that'll be, it's impossible to say at the moment. I just hope we don't revert back to shows like that of the "Unicron Trilogy". It's not that I hated Armada, Energon, or Cybertron, it's just now that we've seen Animated, we know they can do better. AKA, we're even more spoiled now :D 

18. Silent_Magnus

Silent_Magnus Taint of Primus

News Credits:
    I like Animated A LOT, but I would like to see another series eventually.

Isn't that what "Transformers: Universe" did and what the club comics are doing?

19. Switchblade

Switchblade Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I'd say it's more likely that Universe will take a backseat during the movie while that line and Animated continue running strong. Universe is, after all, only a side line with no supporting media, while Animated and the Movie are the big media tie-ins.

20. Ravenxl7

Ravenxl7 W.A.F.F.L.E.O.

News Credits:
    Universe may be a side line, but we already know it'll continue on for a majority of next year, as it's also the 25th Ann. line. While Animated has a show to support it, that doesn't mean it'll continue on threw next year. Personally I'll be surprised if it doesn't get phased out once the Movie line starts. I just can't see Hasbro having two main TF lines at the same time. If anything Universe will get a bigger push.