The Future of Transformers comics?

Discussion in 'Transformers Comics Discussion' started by Hans, Dec 21, 2017.

1. Rabid Robot

Rabid Robot Phase 7er

News Credits:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    I really hope it doesnt end any time soon, but i dont think it will. James roberts said he wanted to wrap everything up by issue 100. Although i also remember him saying that it could be shortened to a smaller issue count, and im sure the LL and MTMTE titles will be mashed together in this count, but still, if he somehow makes it to 100, that would be 47 issues into LL. Although unicron seems like a wrap, i feel like IDW has a long and prosperous future.

2. Heliblade

Heliblade Autobot Vigilante of Kaon

After all the current titles end, then PotP, then Unicron... maybe we will get one Ongoing with all the cast reunited, and the focus is back-and-forth on Cybertron and Earth.

IDW could do storylines about the Quintessons, or the founding of the Maximals and Predacons proper. There's a lot of classic material IDW hasn't done yet, actually.

• Like Like x 2
  3. Omegashark18

Omegashark18 Combaticon turned Autobot

News Credits:
    That is true.

4. Boatformer

Boatformer #HaulOfFame

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    The Knights of Cybertron are Quintessons. Or, at the very least, there's a ton of hints towards that.

• Like Like x 4
  5. Rabid Robot

Rabid Robot Phase 7er

News Credits:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Never thought about it that way. That would be extremely interesting. Ever since spotlight wheelie i have been waiting for a big role for the quintessons. Although Drift's vision never showed anything relating to the quintessons. We will have to wait and see.

• Like Like x 2
  6. Heliblade

Heliblade Autobot Vigilante of Kaon

We DID see those tentacles grab Pharma at the end of Season 1...

• Like Like x 2
  7. Omegashark18

News Credits:
    Hmm, I hadn’t thought of that...

But then there’s Scorponok being The Grand Architect.

• Like Like x 2
  8. hardlurk

hardlurk Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    The IDW Hasbro wiki now describes the upcoming Unicron mini-series like this:

So, I guess Unicron is in the same league as Baron Karza and that guy from The Visionaries who was pretending to be that guy from G.I. Joe.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Omegashark18

News Credits:
    The connections are rather loose. And no, there’s no way he’s in the same league. Unicorn in a League of his own. Period.

• Like Like x 2
  10. hardlurk

hardlurk Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    It just didn't occur to me that I should think of it as part of a trilogy with Revolution and First Strike rather than its own thing.

11. Rabid Robot

Rabid Robot Phase 7er

News Credits:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    I thought those tentacles were from the sparkeaters, but that changes a lot.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Inanimate Carbon Rodimus

Inanimate Carbon Rodimus In Rod We Trust

Damn, I thought the TF comics were selling better than that, closer to 10,000 copies each. I haven't been terribly happy with the direction IDW's taken the franchise lately, but figured the series were doing better than 5 - 6K per month.

As far as the future of the TF comics with IDW, my hope would be for things to get back to basics and for the TF comics to just focus on the TFs. Keep the post-war Cybertron and colony worlds but get the TFs off Earth again and ditch the shared Hasbroverse, which clearly isn't working. Much as I like Barber's work, I'd actually rather see OP cancelled and the 'main' TF series pick up the style, stories and plot elements from TAAO.

I'll be amazed if he doesn't try to extend it out to issue 113, just to be able to say he made that number.

• Like Like x 4
  13. ZeroiaSD

ZeroiaSD Autobot

Here's hoping the events boost sales back up.

Also I will note we don't know digital or trade sales numbers; those might help some.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Hans

Hans Secret Agent

News Credits:
    I agree on both accounts. The attrition rate has increased when the crossovers started to happen, 1 or 1.5 years ago. And initially MTMTE certainly pulled in some new readers. Such as my wife ;) 

I think the events actually did the opposite, as is shown by the big drop off in Optimus Prime sales coming out of First Strike...

I didn't post trade sales figures even though Lost Light volume 1 was mentioned over at comichron. It sold 720 copies. That's not 720-times-something, it's really 720 actual copies. But these were only the copies sold through diamond distributors, as mentioned on comichron. That's why I didn't post the number, because we have no idea how many copies were sold to bookstores or through Amazon, for instance. Same goes for digital sales. I imagine there is an attrition rate there as well, but we have no idea how the titles are selling digitally. The profitability break even point as mentioned by miss Scott was a clear indication on the amount of floppies they need to sell though.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Novaburnhilde

Novaburnhilde Lord High Governor

News Credits:
    Their future isn't looking bright and sunny, that's for sure. At this point I couldn't care less what happens to them, the majority of what they're putting out for Transformers and the other Hasbro properties (Need I mention the the absolute insult that is "Scarlett's strike force"?) have been godawful, cringy current Marvel-tier trash at worst, and boring, safe and forgettable at best. I'm especially disappointed in James Roberts, his writing has gone from amazing, to mostly awful in only a few years.

This is just how Comics are at the moment, it was only a matter of time until IDW succumbed to the rot as well.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Hans

Hans Secret Agent

News Credits:
    Hmmm, there have been some issues that were less interesting (the ones about the howling town or whatever, with the forgettable new characters and bad art) but I'm certainly enjoying the current storyarc on Lost Light...

• Like Like x 1
  17. Murasame

Murasame 村雨

News Credits:
    @Hans
    Get ze Flammenwerfer :D 

18. Haywired

Haywired Hakunamatatacon

At the current rate IDW is trying to run their TFs into the ground with their poor man's Marvel emulation without the realisation that not their entire reader base is into this kind of comics?

It won't take very long before they'll need to relaunch the whole thing.

Lost Light might survive for longer, but that's about it.

19. Hans

Hans Secret Agent

News Credits:
    Hehe, I'm not German, I'm Dutch ;) 

• Like Like x 1
  20. Murasame

Murasame 村雨

News Credits:
    Oh, sorry. But I am :D 
    Anyway... could you fetch it for me, puhleeeeaze? :D