The Future of Transformers comics?

Discussion in 'Transformers Comics Discussion' started by Hans, Dec 21, 2017.

1. Hans

Hans Secret Agent

Hey guys, first of all, this is not intended to bash IDW so please keep the responses civil. I've written this thread purely out of concern. Not too long ago (this August), Transformers: Till All Are One issue 12 sold 5,912 copies according to comichron.com.
    The writer of the title, Mairghread Scott, said in an interview “Our attrition rate was fairly normal and Issue 12 would be our profitability breaking point.” So that profitability breaking point is somewhere between 6,000 and 5,800 copies I guess.

These are the latest sales for november:
    Optimus Prime 12: 5,811
    Lost Light 11: 5,786
    Transformers First Strike:5,730
    Optimus Prime 13: 5,638

So especially Optimus Prime is dipping well below that point with it's latest issue. What do you thinnk this means? Transformers is being outsold by Star Wars (IDW has a Star Wars Adventures title), My Little Pony, Star Trek, and TMNT. Will IDW reboot the line with the upcoming Unicron storyline? What will happen?

2. dj_convoy II

dj_convoy II Remix!

News Credits:
    I would imagine some kind of shake up looms on the horizon. Dunno about a full on reboot, but a relaunch? Sure. They probably need to go back to a core "Transformers" book, and maybe an additional ongoing, maybe not. Three ongoings is unsustainable nonsense right now, and a series of minis or Spotlights or whatever obscure thing people will be clamoring for in the comments below probably won't be feasible.

Sadly, it probably means a kind of status quo heroic Autobots fight evil Decepticons to protect earth type of thing. I hope we don't go back to that. My personal preference would be a Roberts / Roche /Milne joint with every fifth or 6th issue drawn by a proven quantity title focusing on Cybertron and space hijinks (with the quest having been wrapped up).

• Like Like x 6
  3. Heliblade

Heliblade Autobot Vigilante of Kaon

The number of titles will probably be cut back down to two for the sake of simplicity. The other Hasbroverse stuff might get cancelled, with only a few survivors sticking around.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Chris McFeely

Chris McFeely Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    It's difficult to imagine where this universe goes next, given what it's become; a core book with satellite one-shots seems not just obvious but necessary, but simplification feels like it invites regression. We will lose some beloved creators to such a move, and it even feels dangerously possible that it'll slice clean off a large part of the new fandom that's sprung up off the back of the books. But If Unicron truly does mark the end - and with OP doing Onyx Prime, and LL's ever-impenetrable solicits certainly SOUNDING like an endgame is on the horizon - I dunno, maybe drawing the curtains really is the best thing. Start something new tied into the next cartoon, or something, like how the franchise used'ta be.

• Like Like x 9
  5. dj_convoy II

dj_convoy II Remix!

News Credits:
    You know... wrapping everything up on purpose wouldn't be the worst thing in the world. It would be interesting to see a Transformers series go out with an intentional ending.

• Like Like x 13
  6. Focksbot

Focksbot Skeleton Detective

Here, here. It'd be great to see them deliberately wrap the whole lot up, rather than segue into something desperate.

It'd also be great if that didn't mean an immediate regression to kids cartoons. Maybe the next universe could see a real shake-up.

• Like Like x 1
  7. General Magnus

General Magnus Da Custodes of the Emprah

not sure if I feel this, but a definitive ending? Sure, but as long as it doesn´t rehash the plot of landing on Earth like every goddamn cartoon and other media.

• Like Like x 2
  8. kaijuguy19

kaijuguy19 Keyblade Wielder

News Credits:
    I'm guessing a relaunch. I can see them having a new set of characters to follow like for example a certain big bot with a gorilla alt mode fighting against a reptilian manipulator having the name of an infamous tyrant.

9. ultramagnus1

ultramagnus1 Well-Known Member

Its got to the point where its like "where else can this go,"?

The war is over for nearly 6 years. They've shambled from one crossover to the next with a sense of what can we have these bots doing apart from standing around and talking?

Because at times that's how it felt. The franchise is built on robots hiding in disguise and combat. I've said this for years. This franchise would never have lasted if it was always about the kind of stories we have now. Its the heroic Autobots v the evil decepticons.

Post war stories can only go on for so long where to quote peter griffin can someone please throw a pie

Or maybe it was krusty. Can't remember. The point is that at its heart transformers is about conflict. Great battles heroic deaths.

We tried something different but this " something different" is not sustainable or going to draw new readers in.

We need to go back to itß roots as a franchise.

Im sorry but I feel very strongly about this.

• Like Like x 2
  10. hardlurk

hardlurk Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I suspect that LL #17/18 and OP #19/20 will be the POTP event issues (with a POTP #1 special in April?). And they probably won't come out on time or in the right order because why would they. And they're going to be overshadowed by the immediately following Unicron event just like how Titans Return was quickly reduced to a speedbump on the road to Revolution.

This is a winning formula that worked great the last time, right?

11. ultramagnus1

ultramagnus1 Well-Known Member

:D 

Issues released out of a sequence especially with an event is one of the worse things a published can do. Yet it happens fairly regularly with IDW.

How many times was mtmte delayed in season one? For whatever reason?

So annoying to have another issue ruined because it came out in the wrong order?

• Like Like x 1
  12. General Magnus

General Magnus Da Custodes of the Emprah

Because the old cliche and status quo has been the pinnacle of good writing for Transformers? I also feel strongly about this and your view of the franchise is tired and old and should stopped being rehashed time and time again.

The most acclaimed formats in both media, (Beast Wars for TV and MTMTE for comics) both took place in scenarios where the war was over.

• Like Like x 4
  13. justiceg

justiceg Well-Known Member

I expected based on how Roberts is currently writing LL that he's looking at tying everything up and ending things ASAP. (I'd expect within the next 6-12 issues). To be clear, this is purely my speculation based on the writing I've observed, and not anything based on fact or announcement.

• Like Like x 1
  14. justiceg

justiceg Well-Known Member

Ouch. You are right to apologize.

• Like Like x 2
  15. Hans

Hans Secret Agent

Interesting points so far! I definitely think they've been putting out too many titles, or at least spread the transformers too thin with the crossovers and such. I mainly feel the crossovers are to blame, actually. Some 200 readers dropped Optimus Prime between issues 12 and 13 coming out of First Strike.

So my feeling is that the crossovers should stop if IDW cares about the sales of the Transformers titles. Going back to one single ongoing comic certainly sounds like a plan. Focus on making that single book really great.
    Both Barber and Roberts are writing a long game, perhaps storyarcs should be way shorter. Especially with Barber I feel it sometimes takes years before a certain storyline pays off. I don't think that exactly attracts new readers.

Wrapping everything up neatly and starting fresh could work. Although if Unicron is the major story to do so, it doesn't sound like a happy ending... ;) 

• Like Like x 2
  16. Murasame

Murasame CHIMICHANGAS

News Credits:
    The best part was always when Roberts expanded on the mythos and background for the Transformers, the world building stuff. Also with Furman. There's so much more I'd like to see explored instead of this Boeing politics stuff or crossovers. Rom vs Transformers was great in that aspect of world building.

• Like Like x 2
  17. dj_convoy II

dj_convoy II Remix!

News Credits:
    An MTMTE historian can correct me, but I want to say Roberts had envisioned a 70-80 issue outline for the series. I saw the solicit Chris was referring to, and, altho' it could certainly be a red herring or whatever, it did sound like we could be reaching act 3 or the end of act 3.

18. Omegashark18

Omegashark18 Combaticon turned Autobot

News Credits:
    John Barber said the comics planned to go up to around issue 75. And doing the math, the comics are almost there.

That would put the current series around the 20-22 issue mark. Which was the length of previous seasons.

The original Marvel comics ended with issue 80. So it would be rather fitting for things to end there.

Given how upcoming issues have been described, there does seem to be a sense of finality.

There are two possibilities:

1)They pull a hard reset like they did after Chaos. And launch a new comic or two with a new creative team and a new status quo, but everything previous still happened. What happening to all the other Hasbro stuff is anyone’s guess.

2)They end things all together. Unicron is the biggest card they can pull, and there’s no topping that. He is finale material. The Darkest Hour happens and there’s the aftermath with a new beginning, perfect open ending. Where Power of the Primes fits into all of this, who knows. With Onyx Prime and Leige Maximo returning next issue of Optimus Prime, it’s kind’ve made us wonder what PotP is going to be about.
    But either way, there’s a sense that the end is coming.

What is going to become of the comics? Its simply a matter of time.

A part of me is hoping that maybe the shelfed Justice League crossover might be revisited. I mean IDW and DC have been collaborating a lot lately with two Star Trek/Green Lantern crossovers and three Batman/TMNT crossovers. Why not this? Perhaps it should be brought to their attention again. It could generate some interest in Transformers in any DC fans and vice versa.

• Like Like x 3
  19. Boatformer

Boatformer Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    It... DID, though. It REALLY did. The post-war Barberts era has seen stronger sales than any other block of IDW Transformers, and MTMTE has demonstrably drawn in many, many new fans.

• Like Like x 6
  20. dj_convoy II

dj_convoy II Remix!

News Credits:
    Yeah; the attrition has only really been bad for the past , I dunno, year plus. I think the relaunches were probably a mistake, but who knows... maybe they staunched the bleeding a bit.

MTMTE definitely reached out to a new crowd... dunno so much about RID/exRID/OP/whatever. Month to month sales of floppies seemed pretty close, but I'm guessing MTMTE was way bigger on trades and digital.