The future of the Transformers Toyline

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Zigholtul, Jun 28, 2012.

1. Zigholtul

Zigholtul I am the Waffle Maker

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    So I've noticed the amount of complaints around here ranging from folks discussing the smaller yet more expensive figures to the lackluster distribution that seems to have affected nearly everyone to an extent and also the US cancellation of both FE and Wave 6 of DOTM figures, amongst the plethora of other problems showing up. With the way things have been as of late would it be possible for the franchise to suddenly collapse onto itself sometime in the future as a result of everything that's being going on?

2. rxlthunder

rxlthunder Banned

News Credits:
    While yes, almost every new figure just sucks, it can't really die unless the general audience, as in 7 year olds want it to.

3. kaijuguy19

kaijuguy19 Keyblade Wielder

News Credits:
    My opinon is I don't think so. We're in a recession right now and Hasbro's trying to do it's best to keep afloat by using methods to save money and so far it's working. Yes it stinks about the high prices yes the smaler size is a bit annoying and yes the plastic feels light but just as long as the rest of the figure works it's really not a big deal at least for me.

As for the distrubution it has been a little questionable lately but some of the problems began with the retailers. Add to the fact that Transformers is too big a brand to let die. Maybe Hasbro's being greddy idiots or maybe being frantic in trying to pull things together who knows? What I can say is that they aren't doing this to make the fans mad on purpose.

The prices I can deal with. I've payed more money for some figures in the past so this isn't a big issue for me but I can see how it's a bummer for people who don't have enough money.

4. Zigholtul

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    The thing is that most of the time the parents are the ones paying for the figures and with them eventually hitting the $15 price point I have to wonder if many of them will outright stop buying them as result. Should this event unfold on a massive scale would Hasbro and retailers have no choice but to lower prices or would it be better to just say fuck the US and if they want any new figures they're have no choice but to import or go without. Now for me I don't have much of a problem paying more per say, however I'm only one collector and as we all heard, collectors barely account for the equation and that's its mostly kids (or parents) that buy the most and without them the franchise is as good as dead.

5. kaijuguy19

News Credits:
    That's true but there are still familys out there who have enough moneys to get figures for that price. Ones that are more richer the most.

I'm sorry if I'm coming out as insensitive to those who don't have enough money.

6. rxlthunder

rxlthunder Banned

News Credits:
    Because in a recession, everyone wants to pay more!

7. Zigholtul

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Not at all mate.

With the way things are its seems that if we aren't capable of paying more then we might be better off. Besides if Hasbro really wanted to, they could just outright stop selling to the US and make more money from everyone being forced to import. The thing is if most of us stopped buying as a result of the higher pricing then it would not surprise me if Hasbro did such a thing.

8. Seawing

Seawing Lurker of the depths Moderator

News Credits:
    Transformers won't collapse in on itself because Hasbro won't allow it. It's is Hasbro's #1 money maker for boys toys which they don't have to pay royalties to someone else since they hold the rights. Other toy properties that Hasbro owns that they tried to cash in on have failed so far (GI Joe, Battleship). Since Hasbro's big wigs have to keep the shareholders happy, Transformers will probably be milked-to-death (another thread for another day).

No, it doesn't work like that. Hasbro doesn't make any money when someone is forced to import figures. The only one making money is another middleman (shipping companies) who has to ship your figure to you from it's destination. The only way Hasbro makes money is to sell product that interests stores whether it is a brick & mortar, online, or in another part of the world. If the only stores in Malaysia, for example, are buying the product then that is where Hasbro will sell them.

9. LCDR Blindside

LCDR Blindside Banned

News Credits:
    The siren call of RUINED FOREVER lures yet another generation of Transformers fans into the rocks.

10. EightiesKid

EightiesKid G1 archivist

News Credits:
    Nah, just cuz some folks haven't been happy with some stuff doesn't mean the sky is falling. People are still hunting down Vehicons, so the PRID line is doing fine. I think once the new Generations FOC figures hit in a month, things will pick up. The brand is still quite healthy, no reason to push a panic button.

11. Dr. Prime

Dr. Prime Dr. Prime

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I know, it's horrible. I heard that the cancellation of the last of the DOTM line through some of the Hasbro executives over the edge and they started taking anti-depressants and were drinking heavily :drunk  The factory workers were awaiting their next order of figures by e-mail and as a result of the drugs and alcohol, one of the Hasbro Execs fell asleep on his keyboard on the 'B' button and the factory workers email order read like this....

BBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBB
    BBBBBBB......

As a result of that e-mail they overproduced Bumblebees in the PRID line and they got shipped to the US by mistake, and its caused the entire company to cave in. All the Execs got fired when they were found using PRID BB's as poker chips at work. I heard they have to close shop next week....:eek: 

Last edited: Jun 28, 2012
  12. Bass X0

Bass X0 Captain Commando

News Credits:
    Its coming to an end. You can see it winding down now.

The sky is definitely falling for real this time.

13. scoobsterinc

scoobsterinc Scoobs

News Credits:
    When I was little I used to get £5 a week and I couldnt wait 3 weeks just for a new figure when I was young since I was inpatient but its simply not the case oil prices are rising so hasbro has to go to shrinking there figures taking some detail away and changing the type of plastic just so they can keep figures at a decent price and to be honest the figures arent terrible there actualy quite good figures and of course we will get a few bad figures I mean what line doesnt (not including masterpiece) we just need to get used to how figures have changed because of oil prices and if dont like it go collect some older line and we some of the PRID line we have complained because first edition was better and first edition was more of a adult collection line and PRID is more directed to kids so they have to make the transformations more simple so kids dont snap the figures in half.

Bottom line Get used it!

The only things that hasbro could fix easily is the amount of bumblebee's they make

14. LCDR Blindside

LCDR Blindside Banned

News Credits:
    I love that you say this with a scarred face as an avatar, and a join date of 2003. Transformers Veteran, right here.

15. Jazz342

Jazz342 Well-Known Member

The future of transformers? Self transforming figures with advanced level complexity ..oh sorry, I guess I didn't read the topic right.

16. Gilgamesh

Gilgamesh Mostly Harmless

News Credits:
    Human sacrifice, dogs and cats living together... mass hysteria!

17. kaijuguy19

News Credits:
    Ghostbusters reference FTW!:thumb 

18. Jazz342

Jazz342 Well-Known Member

If the sky falls, there's nothing we can do about it. I'll just be happy with what I already have and what FOC is bringing and if Hasbro feels tfs cost too much to make, I'll just buy to plethora of toys I missed out onwhen I didn't have money or just wasn't sure how much I wanted it.

19. GAUGE

GAUGE Wargod ARTS

News Credits:
    I don't think transformers will ever truly die.

Came close to dying in the early 90's but... then Beast Wars stuff came then Dreamwave made new comics and thus the TF hype has been going strong ever since.

The movieverse, Animated and TF Prime, IDW comics and the CHUG lines have supercharged the Franchise to last for at least another 15 years

20. Thalack

Thalack Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Times change, learn to adapt. That is all.