The Future of the Transformers Brand/License...

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Cryptwire, May 28, 2010.

1. Cryptwire

Cryptwire Cybertronian Engineer/Sniper TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    well originally i wanted to post my thoughts on this in the movie discussion section since it is probably more appropriate there given that, for all intents and purposes, Bay's live-action Transformers movies has catapulted the Transformers brand/license into mainstream consciousness.

Before it was just hardcore animated series fans from the originals and the 1986 animated movie and avid Transformers toy collectors who really paid much attention to it. But after the live-action movies, Transformers is never the same again.

Just raised this up considering that next year is probably Michael Bay's last Transformers film, at least under his direction. But in light of the upcoming "War for Cybertron", and the new animated series "Transformers: Prime" and many other projects I'm sure in the horizon, I cannot begin to fathom the immense potential of this license/franchise because whatever it maybe, the Transformers story has been told again and again since its inception in 1984 and it never gets tiring. Aside from the movies, you have the novels (which could use an improvement), the comic books, and other products associated with the Transformers brand.

I guess my point here is, if handled well, this franchise can even go to greater lengths and not just end with a cartoon series or the third part of Michael Bay's Transformers live-action.

After next year, I imagine it getting its reboot and, let's face it, a reboot is inevitable. I am not saying I hated Michael Bay's interpretation of the Transformers mythos. Actually, I am thankful for him for bringing this into the live-action realm and making it such a huge success and bringing the Transformers fan in me back out. Bay jump-started the Transformers live-actioners and after that, the potential is just there to keep this energy vibrant and going.

just imagine, after next year, a reboot is more likely to happen and let's say that reboot is going to be another trilogy. and let's say, after that, a series of live-action movies, ala Star Trek/James Bond, only i think any series should be reasonably spaced out in between so the public don't get over-exposed to too much of it and that for each director, he/she should handle a trilogy. let's say 5 to 7 year hiatus until the next series of trilogies come out, only provided that there is a great, compelling, and phenomenal stories to tell and that the preceding movies have earned considerable and sufficient income to warrant another series of movies. i am sure that given the right director, writers, etc. who will treat any subsequent series with more seriousness and reverence, perhaps maybe an Academy Award or two is not entirely out of the question. heck, if James Cameron did it with a new story that was all about 10-feet tall blue, cat-like aliens using Native American archetypes, how much more with a proven mythos that includes a race of giant extraterrestrial shape-shifting robotic life forms?? it is a franchise like no other. some other franchises have already come and gone (most notable of which is the "Terminator" franchise), but the "Transformers" brand keep on going.... but with the "Transformers" live-actioners, i can see old and upcoming directors like Steven Spielberg, Carl Eric Rinsch, JJ Abrams, Neill Blomkamp, Robert Zemeckis, etc... and other great directors handling it; i can see old and young actors and actresses starring in it and becoming popular from it (Logan Huffman, Lucas Till, Emma Stone, Amber Heard, etc. etc.)... i can see this franchise launching many careers in the entertainment industry.

i envision this franchise not stopping with Michael Bay, and instead keep going strong, getting into the entertainment industry much deeper, into the video game industry, deeper into special effects houses, employing and popularizing many directors, actors, actresses, video game developers, script writers, novelists, toy manufacturers, CGI animators, special effects people, etc... because i think that is how dynamic this license/franchise is. it has the potential to match the Star Wars franchise with iand even surpass it and after 25 years, this franchise isn't going anywhere; it's still going strong and has catapulted the careers of many actors and actresses.... (cough megan fox cough)....

so to Transformers, Hasbro, and Takara, cheers and best of luck and keep up the great work!!!!!

:thumb :thumb :thumb 

2. Aernaroth

Aernaroth <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and Veteran

News Credits:
    Truthfully though? Transformers never left the public consciousness. It was a PHENOMENON for kids in the 80s, and definitely one of the most successful brands. Even ignoring the nearly constant cartoons between then and now (with a few gaps here and there) and the continued resonance they've had with kids (simply look at all the fans on here who got into things with Beast Wars and A/E/C, the kids who grew up with TF remembered it, and once they matured to the point where they could be appealed to through nostalgia and had their own discretionary income, Hasbro capitalized on that. Slow at first, with the G1 revival to test the waters, and then with a full-steam push, including new shows, new movies, and now, a new video game franchise.

I disagree with you that the brand being high profile will attract high profile directors, because that's not always the case, and some of the directors you mentioned might be more inclined to put a spin on the brand Hasbro might disagree with (and let's face it, Hasbro is going to want to maintain control), but even without those directors, the brand could remain high profile, even without a movie series to support it. Its a matter of cultural awareness of a brand. G1 Optimus Prime hasn't really appeared in any mainstream media (other than comics) since Beast Wars/Machines, but look at how recognizable he is, just like how Superman hasn't really had a tv show or movie for a while, but almost everyone still knows who he is (because , again, of the people who grew up with him, as well as his resemblance to current incarnations). That's what Transformers should be aiming for.

Transformers aren't going anywhere, because frankly, they never did. The worst case scenario is going to be again, waning interest in the brand, at which point it will take a rest and reinvent itself, just like it always has. What's the future of the brand? Change.

3. Cryptwire

News Credits:
    great points, especially with what you mentioned about cultural and brand awareness! yeah and i definitely want this to be successful so we periodically get to see a great live-action movie, like Star Trek or James Bond!

4. Backscatter

Backscatter Autobot Brainmaster TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Not change. Transformation! :wink: 

5. RedWolf

RedWolf Well-Known Member

It also helped that Hasbro has good working relationship Takara later Takara-Tomy and promotes their product fresh to the public eye.

Where as Robotech is a failure of a franchise due to lack of creative talent and Harmony Gold being an ass not crediting the original Japanese creators.

Volton on the other hand though more successful than Robotech has a problem with WEP overstepping its license causing Toei's ire. (Though from what I hear there is a new Voltron series a the works.)

The setup of Hasbro's relationship with Takara/Takara-Tomy is that Hasbro has the Transformers copyright and Takara/Takara-Tomy has merchandising rights for Japan. Which helped Takara create their own series from Headmasters to Victory, Zone as an OVA, Beast Wars II to Neo and the collaborative effort of the Unicron trilogy.

6. Rodimus

Rodimus The Prime Producer

I heard that 7 years ago. I even saw a cel photo posted on their message board of Princess Alura. It looked great. But that was 7 years ago. You have to wonder if they are even doing a new Voltron series of if that project got canned. Which would be a shame because Voltron is awesome.

All I know is as long as I've got my G1 characters, I'm happy. In other words, keep the Classics/Henkei, masterpieces, reissues, and commics comming! Oh yea and more games like War for Cybertron (hopefully there'll be one with the classic earth forms too). And if they did a G1 series with all the original characters and their personas, I would be in Transformers heaven... and it would be like a time machine back to being a kid again. Except this time I am able to make an earnest expendable income. :D 

They can make all these crazy ugly incarnations I don't like or care for... as long as I got my original "The Transformers" characters as an option to enjoy, I"ll be a happy fan.

7. RedWolf

RedWolf Well-Known Member

Kickstart the same animation company who made that animation will make the new Voltron series for Nicktoons. I suppose this will go back to back with the Saban reacquired Power Rangers franchise.

Hasbro on the other hand steps up their game with their own network channel, the Hub, and Transformers Prime.

8. Lone Cat

Lone Cat Well-Known Member

1. Americanization all around the world. Unless Japanese crew has a "solution"
    2. More and more Unicron Trilogy characters to appear
    3. Magnus will not be the redeco/retool of Convoy. He will have his own body instead (much like Car Robots and TFA)
    4. Less combiners to appear
    5. Michael Bay's movie will long influence the designs to the points of Nue studio's designs. which have long be a symbol of TF brands for two decades. look at Alternity!
    6. Beast Wars dude will appear.
    7. Kiss Players will influence the next continuity. i could say that the TF: Revenge is more or less influenced by the KP
    8. Licca Kayama may appear! (with Metroflex being her house!!!) or a female character with a shelf full of Blythe will make a cameo appearance!!

meow~

9. Cryptwire

News Credits:
    yeah and i'd definitely would like to see some Transformers live-action movies based on many issues/subjects which i think the potential is there. it could be based on novels, on comic books, or some other brand new concept (i wonder how Transformers would fare as a crime-fighting live-action movie ala The Dark Knight, or a drama/sci-fi/adventure like Avatar was, etc....??) as long as the foundations of the myth are there.

great points everyone.

10. Ash from Carolina

Ash from Carolina Junior Smeghead

I've got to agree with the notion that all the Bay films did was to bring Transformers to the attention of adults. Transformers has been running pretty constantly for 26 years now so just because we didn't watch some of the cartoons or didn't buy some of the toys it doesn't mean that each generation of kids since the 80's haven't had their Transformers.

My guess for the future is that line will re-invent like it always does so there is a jumping on point for the new kids getting into Transformers. Kids really don't need to be bogged down with a lot of back story and it gives Hasbro the excuse to make new toys of old characters.

The live action films in their current state will just never become something like Star Wars. The Transformers films so far have been riding on special effects and spectacle which can work for a while but then the public moves on to the next big special effects spectacle. If anything I'd say the live action films are more like Independence Day where the film was hot until effects moved on. But Star Wars even with it's out dated effects remains because it's got the story elements and characters to keep fans hooked forever.

The future of live action is a tough call. But if history is any indicator then at some point the public will tire of the current films. Hollywood likes to hedge it's bets though with things that made money in the past so I think most of us will see some big reboot in our life times.

11. Lone Cat

Lone Cat Well-Known Member

^ For Transformers being Live Action film. I'd want to se Japanese-made versions.
    And i'd like to see Transformers being made as "Soap Opera" like Sentai and Kamen Riders.

oh! use Henkei! Henkei! storyline please

About the toys
    - Optimus Prime will become "Twister Convoy"... Prime that requires waist twisting to complete transformations (like Masterpiece Convoy)
    - Megatron will be multiple changers. Two modes just not enough for the arch villain. while Convoy is still Class-8 truck or Fire Engine.... yet. Isn't it possible for him to be Bradley IFV?
    - Bumble and Cliff will share the same vehicle modes (same as Alternity and M. Bay's movies)
    - Me Grimlock Be There!
    - Ironhide could become any Military vehicle. I'd like to see him being Abrams or M48 Patton Medium tank
    - Less and less characters will appear.
    - More and more characters will become bikes.
    - Blitzwing may not appear. as of now it is hard to make Triple Changers a complete transformations without having gimmicks of other modes appear... unless if doing TF/G.I. Joe crossovers and give his tank mode HISS TANK.
    - Size matters!

12. Jetbolt

Jetbolt Maximal Air Commander

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Flickr:
    As I didnt grow up with G1, the nearly decade Bot and con love fest is different to me.

For the movies, I hope to see a Beast Wars movies. I would love to see three of them. If so I rather see new characters in it, which leads to a new series. Then nods to the past BW cast in the toy lines.

Shows I hope to see more from 3D in the future. Wishful thinking but I hope in the future there will be more series without the bots and cons. It's been almost 30 years of TF and only two full series feature none of them as the main groups, that's pathetic.

Toy lines I hope to see the materpiece series represent all series. Not every fan iS a G1 fan and alot of us have jobs too. I would love to get a MP BW Optimus Primal or BM Jetstorm. Somebody that grew up with Armada might love a MP Hot Shot or whatever.

I hope to see the generation line to have more from other series as well. The 25th line was a joke if you werent a G1 fan. What four BW era figures out of how many G1 tributes?

I hope that one day Lego and Hasbro can form a deal where we could have an offical Lego TF line. It be nice to build the Axalon or the Ark out of the bricks. Or Optimus Primal or G1 Starscream out of the Bionicle style parts.

For clothes, I want more series done with this. The most I ever see if the movies or G1. It's a rip off for somebody like me a BW fan. I'm sure in another few years those that grew up with A/E/C want their figures on shirts too.

For fan stuff, Botcon needs a change. Thing is alot of us work and if it's in LA and your in Boston, your screw when it comes to the TF there. I think it should be you join a Botcon club and even if you cant make it to the event, you get those figures mailed to you. I think all of them needs to work like that. Have the clubs do yearly renews, how many people pays to join the clubs is the number of figures that is made.

13. jorod74

jorod74 Psycholagnist (Ret.)

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    i disagree with the idea that the LA movies brought the TF's to the adult's attention.
    for nearly 30 years, Transformers have been in kids' hands. so i am pretty sure that being an adult below say, age 50, knows what Transformers are.

but it's a minor point to fuss over.

I think that TFs will be around for a long time, and perhaps outlast my devotion to the hobby. i see that designs are going to evolve and the offerings will become more and more radical to my old skool tastes.

i really want TFs to remain SOTA and pushing kids to really think- not just with the toys, but with the shows, the games, the books, even if i can't keep up. I want the media to become more of debate/discussion/thought starter than merely advertising the material.

whether you love or hate the Bay-verse, it's really a good thing. it's evolution. They are supposed to be aliens and it should be represented. the fact that biomechanical beings hide in our mundane machinery is an interesting story element.

and WfC is taking the alien concept further. again, that is good.

it's like Star Trek of the 60s. almost all the aliens were bipedal humanoids. come on, a Klingon was barely a black dude with a hippy haircut.
    finally, TNG gave us crystal beings and tentacled thingys. Klingons were barely better, but like Ruffles, they had ridges. it was a start. still, things evolved, which it should.

i want to see TFs that go beyond. i want to see what Hasbro and TakTomy can throw at us to keep us interested. just do better than the Fallen character, lol.
    (pssst... Hasbro bring back Transtech somehow.)

14. Rodimus

Rodimus The Prime Producer

SOTA? What does that mean?

15. Steevy Maximus

Steevy Maximus Movie Megs eats your soul

News Credits:
    I think trying to guess or analyze the future of the Transformers brand is really an impossible feat. And I say that as someone who has seen the brand evolve and change for over 15 years.

Remember in the year 2000, the primary Transformers series was Beast Machines, airing with Beast Wars, on the Fox Kids network. We as fans were all excited about this as Fox Kids was THE place for THE hottest action cartoons at the time, and it helped propel the brand. We were excited for Transtech, which would have linked all the way back to G1.
    In Japan, they were just starting a last ditch reinvention of the brand called Car Robots.
    Takara and Hasbro basically ran two different toylines at the time.

IN the past 10 years, we've seen yearly re-inventions, a unified worldwide product line, and more collector-oriented product than I ever thought possible. And that doesn't even count the MASSIVE exposure ONE, let alone two, LIVE action feature films did for our little toy robots.

The only certainly is that Transformers can and will change and handled with the care Hasbro has shown over the past 5 years, they can be around for a LONG time to come.