The future of KO transformers is more or less dead, inside is the official word

Discussion in 'Transformers News and Rumors' started by Red leader, Jun 22, 2008.

1. Red leader

Red leader Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Below is the official word on the future of Transformers KO's, it seems hasbro has won the war and the removal of said items from ebay has indeed forced the manufacturers to rethink their actions and from a financial stand point cease production, read on for the full story :

PS I forgot to mention the email is from the main outlet supplier for the manufacturer

Hi,

First we would like to apology that we did not reply some of your mail. This is because we had been receiving a lot mails enquiries KO or remake transformers

We would like to take this opportunity to answer yours enquiries. As many of you have aware that you are unable to find KO from ebay, below might answer your doubt;

1. Is KO banned from ebay?

Yes, ebay had taken off all KO transformers from their auction sites. It is violating of their policy.

2. Where can I find those high qualities KO beside ebay?

We are not sure; you might try with your regular channel to obtain KO transformers. It is quite difficult to buy now. And also Hasbro has taken action against seller so to protect their Transformer Intellectual property which belongs to them. Some of the online shop was told to take off the KO transformers, if not Hasbro will take legal action against them.

3. Any new release for KO transformers?

There is schedule release of cyclones, scourge and snarl. But with current situation it becomes uncertain. To date devastator and reflector is still available.

4. Any status of sunstreaker and wheeljack?

No information from supplier. There is rumor the manufacturer is lack of funds but no confirmation yet.

5. Future of KO transformers?

With all these banning on KO transformers, we are not certain.

Below the list of transformers available in the market, if you still need the items. You can contact us. This might be the last chance to own them.

Last edited: Jun 22, 2008
    • News Credit News Credit x 1
  2. Erector

Erector I ruined the Hall of Fame

News Credits:
    Interesting.

In before this turns into a flame war on ethics of KOs!

3. unmc2001

unmc2001 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I do not have many KO transformers but sometimes that is the only way to get what you want. I would glady purchase the genuine item from Hasbro/Takara if they would make it. I have been trying to put together a G1 collection and bought a Mirage KO and it was a well made figure. If Hasbro/Takara are not going to make it I will buy it from someone that will. It is difficult to find a mint box G1 Mirage. I still need Sunstreaker, Wheeljack, Trailbreaker, Dinobots and Devestator. I have held out buying KO hoping Takara will release them, but it seems unlikely. I think Trailbreaker has a chance in the encore line but the others probably not.

4. starscream.pt

starscream.pt Well-Known Member

hmmm this kinda sucks for the g1 KOs, it's not like right now hasbro is making money out of G1 sales, but yeah ints understandable, i would be pissed if someone used my intellectual property to profit, but only if they claimed it to be there own, in this case, KO producers even print out the hasbro logo on the boxes. It's a sticky situation, i cant really tell on wich side i'm on.

5. Red leader

Red leader Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    well the thing is, I bought a batch earlier in the year to sell and the demand isnt there believe it or not, as soon as hasbro said they werent happy I pulled the listings and traded the remainder off. The mistake the KO manufacturers made was asking for too much money, an example of the change is that now ebay has closed ranks on counterfeiting and fakes the price of a brand new KO Black Optimus is $55 which I think is more than reasonable considering the quality, I dont however in hindsight agree with the use of the hasbro logo and the safety stickers they place on the boxes.

6. Draven

Draven Banned

News Credits:
    Congratulations, Hastak, you've won.
    Now kindly bring on the reasonably priced reissues of figures that a bunch of KO makers managed to recreate, despite your insistence that YOU couldn't.

7. Autobot 47

Autobot 47 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Very unfortunate - a two sided sword. On one hand, you'll get more or less high quality from Hasbro, otherwise, you're lacking the chance of modding the KOs for kitbashes etc. without ruin the precious Hasbro TFs.

8. llamatron

llamatron OFFICIAL MMC REP TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    Is the Reflector KO easily available?

9. Acid Wing

Acid Wing Senior Alien TF Member

News Credits:
    Good to see Hasbro actively protecting their intellectual properties, but again, not sure what this means for any official G1 reissues.

10. Vector Sigma

Vector Sigma <b><i><font color=FFFF00>Crazy Colon Burner!!!!</b Veteran

The fact that they didn;t in the past, at least not overtly, makes me wonder how a legal battle would actually go these days. If you don't enforce your trademarks to begin with, you can lose the right to do so if you suddenly decide to in the future. I think...

11. Kingplay

Kingplay Banned

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Great for Transformer community to get rid of all those K.O.

Bad for my business, cuz I am stuck wit a lot :(  However, I won't be buying any more K.O.

12. GenZhao

GenZhao Banned

News Credits:
    Taobao is still loaded with them.

China will never stop producing KO's, they will just be harder to get outside of China.

How come they don't sue the maker of the expensive KO's .. If I know his phone number and where his store is surely hasbro does.

13. Kingplay

Kingplay Banned

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    they just might, just haven't done it yet

14. doomtron

doomtron Hunter

News Credits:
    hasbro doesent put out enough product we like anyway why not? i wish takara would take over hasbro so we could get all the cool stuff first hand

15. nkelsch

nkelsch Do you know this Icon? TFW2005 Supporter

That is what they got for trying to sell counterfeit goods using company trademarks. It actually appears they are more upset about the trademark issues than the copyright infringement of copying molds.

They should have stuck to "Buildo-tron Max-robo" Carded versions. Then people would have still had access to out of package KOs with reasonable colors. It was the 'fake MISB vintage' box market with official trademarks that appears to have sunk it for everyone.

16. mechabot-1

mechabot-1 Banned

simple/ they are in china...and suing someone on foreign soil in a US court is meaningless unless there are assets here in the US that they own that you could levy a judgement against....look for example at the folks that won judgements against IRAN over the hostage issue in the 70's...millions awarded and to date ZERO dollars collected...China is not going to do a shit's work of anything to help a US court judgement get inforced/collected against one of their citizens/businesses......

And trying to sue that company in it's own country's courts is meaningless also since china is the king at ignoring international copy right/property rights etc.......

yeah....meaningless.....

and

KO's RULE!!!!!!!!!!!!

17. Megatronwp38

Megatronwp38 Nobody defeats the DEVASTATOR!

Well, as a KO disliker I say good and it's about time! I already own everything that has been KOed except Metrotitan and that turned out to be a POS anyway. It was just annoying me that I took the time and effort to find nice vintage figures and these KOs came about and you could get a spanky new one. Very frustrating for a vintage, REAL vintage collector.

18. Vangelus

Vangelus Long Live the New Flesh Moderator Content Contributor

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Agreement! The legal letter Hasbro had its convention attendees read at the panels very specifically targetted the knockoff's use of the Hasbro name and 80's logo. I think the photoshoppy replication of the G1 boxes was a step too far, myself.

More specifically, I think what really got the hammer dropped on them was that -if- one of these knockoffs was made with unsafe materials, or even just had a couple with missing parts and etc, the packaging says Hasbro and even though it's rather ludicrous-sounding to most of we-who-are-in-the-know, that does make it look like -they- are the responsible party to that one Joe Public that might've bought one of the knockoffs without realizing its nature..

I also think the big arguments over these knockoffs wouldn't get nearly as heated if the -packaging- was awesomely silly, but that's moving off-topic. ;) 

19. dark69

dark69 BlackArachnia Terrorize!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    i love ko's i will miss them:( 

20. Fit For natalie

Fit For natalie tfwiki nerd

News Credits:
    What cool stuff? To my knowledge, nearly everything (outside of reissues and Kissplayers girlie figures) that TakaraTomy have released for Transformers in the past 2 years have been redecos or repacks of stuff Hasbro have already released. So, what cool stuff?

As for Hasbro not puting out enough product we like, their sales figures beg to differ with you. Takara wishes in their wildest dreams that they could ever be as successful Hasbro. But they're not, that's why they merged with Tomy, a competitor. That's why they wound back their Transformers lines - nobody except die-hard Transformers fans in Japan were buying them.

Meanwhile, loads of people in Hasbro's markets buy Transformers, compared to relatively few people in Japan buying Transformers. Obviously, one company fucked up, and one company didn't.

And you want fuck ups to take over a successful company?