The Future of Final Fantasy games

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by Kickback, Aug 13, 2006.

1. Kickback

Kickback Proud father Administrator Super Mod News Staff

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Tumblr:
    In the most recent issue of EGM, they had a small little article about Final Fantasy XIII. It reads as follows:

My love for the Final Fantasy series is dwindling.

2. Frognal

Frognal Prodigal Son Returned

Mine's been dwindling since FFIX was announced. Let me go check.........yep, lost all hope for me liking a new Final Fantasy game.

3. Wing alpha

Wing alpha <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and

.....I really REALLY should be afraid.
    then i remember that I had already abandoned Final fantasy after 11

4. 03Mach1

03Mach1 Reason Has No Voice

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I don't mind the episodic content so much. It's the MMORPG released as a mainline, sequential Final Fantasy that bothers me. That's almost as rediculous as releasing an mainline, sequential toy as a convention exclusive. Wait...

5. Jesus

Jesus Destroyer of Scudsy

Hurray for not liking JRPGs!

6. Chrono Grimlock

Chrono Grimlock Perfect By Nature

News Credits:
    Eh, haven't been a fan since they released that shitty FF7. FF9 got me back, then lost me again with every game released since.

7. Omega Supreme-1

Omega Supreme-1 Autobot Sentinel

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I'm sorry but Tetsuya Nomura is the worse then to happen to Square Enix since they decided to name their franchise Final Fantasy. All that's come from that man is a slew of mediocre sequels of his one supposedly holy titles. There's a reason why all the good people left Square, like Amano, and went to make Mistwalker. Just for the record, Final Fantasy 9 is more of Final Fantasy game than Final Fantasy 7 will ever be; in my humble opinion it's just another RPG with the name Final Fantasy slapped on it to milk the franchise much like Sword of Mana/Seiken Densetsu.

8. Firestorm

Firestorm Red Mage in Training

I thought FF IX was better than any of the other PS 1/2 Final Fantasy games. It was fun, and actually was in a "Fantasy" setting, as opposed to Sci-fi-ish settings like VII or VIII.

As for the future, as long as FF: Crystal Chronicles for the Wii is okay, I'll be happy, since I'm not getting a PS3 or X-Box 360 so won't be able to play XII or XIII.

9. Nerd Bomber

Nerd Bomber Consulting your needs

I had my fun with final fantasy a few years back. I'd go back to it if I saw something worth going back in for but, alas, there is nothing as of yet.

10. the_riesen

the_riesen INDY COLTS SBXLI-Champs TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    square used to rarely do anything that people wanted them to do. They wouldn't really listen to fan ideas and still delivered amazing new content. Then they started making all that FF7 stuff cuz everyone wanted more from it. I think thats where it went all downhill. Final Fantasy just isn't as cool as it used be. Even with 12 coming out i'm not even excited about it anymore.

11. Optimus-JD

Optimus-JD Team Laser Explosion!

Pass on debugging to consumers huh? Fantastic. I stopped playing PC games for that very reason and now they want to do it on consoles. Lame, no thanks.

12. Menasor

Menasor Jibba Jabberin' Automod

The last FF game that I really put alot of time into was FF9 because like others said,it had more of a FF feel to it. I have to admit that I really liked FFXI but I just dont have that much time to waste on a game.

I think the series has been getting too far away from its roots but atleast we can always play that remake they're doing for the DS. And besides,I'd much rather play some of the other big RPG series (Grandia,Tales of...,Star Ocean)anyways.

I did pre-order the collectors edition of 12 though

13. The_Bardock

The_Bardock ****** of the Minicons

THe only reason i'm excited for 12 is because its in the FF tactics Advanced world, and I loved that game.

14. Shin-Gouki

Shin-Gouki Rebuilding Veteran

News Credits:
    Originally: Huntington Beach, CA, Now: Cincinnati
    Remember when FF was good? I have not played one on a home console since the PS1, and only the handhelds since.

15. McBradders

McBradders James Franco Club! Moderator

I'm amazed people still care.

Final Fantasy is such an antiquated ideal nowadays that I'm actually surprised people still clamour over the latest releases. I mean, it's almost like the John Madden series of games. Every ten or so years there's a massive jump in quality/innovation (all opinion), but between it's just the same damn thing with different protagonists. Just like Street Fighter, just let it die with whatever shreds of dignity it has left.

16. Boardwise

Boardwise is scary - Sig Killer - M Super Mod

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    <----- Has never played a FF game

17. flamepanther

flamepanther Interested, but not really

Yoshitaka Amano was never part of Square to begin with. His work was contracted on a per-job basis. Even if he were an employee at Square, I wouldn't rank him among the most important people there anyway. All he really did was draw pictures that were mostly not used of characters which were promptly redesigned after he finished them. The traditional look and feel of Final Fantasy has nothing in common with Amano's style except for the Japanese cover art.

18. Switchblade

Switchblade Just a raggedy man

News Credits:
    I really don't care. FFXIII sounds like it'll be a PS3 exclusive, and I'm not shelling out $600 for a console. Besides, most of my love for the Final Fantasy series died in the, what five years? since the last proper game came out. Had they actually made XI a real game instead of a dumb MMO (that I have lost two online friends to), I might still be really into the franchise, but now it just seems like part of the past to me (even though I've been replaying FFX lately).

I still intend to get XII, but it's not something I'm really, really excited about (all that excitement is going to the Valkyrie Profile sequel that comes out next month :D ).

19. Omega Supreme-1

Omega Supreme-1 Autobot Sentinel

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    He was only a freelancer when he came on for Final Fantasy 1 when he was introduced to the fledling art department of Squaresoft. With the success of Final Fantasy, he was brought on a conceptual artist and character designer. Amano had a much more important role that just a guy that draws pretty pictures.

20. Laser_Optimus

Laser_Optimus Your opinion was noted. Now get lost. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I've played every FF game since they released the first one on the NES. Of all of them... my favorite game is still FFIV (II for those who only played it on the SNES). None of the recent games, except FFIX, even came close to the originals in terms of playability and sheer story. Sure, FFVII and all it's preceding games were pretty, but I think they lost something from the original games. I'm just happy that we're finally getting the real FFIII on the DS soon. I'll pick up XII simply because I want to have played them all, but if FFXIII ends up being a PS3 exclusive than my playing of this slowly dwindling title will end there. Although, despite my lack of interest in the next gen counsel games, I am looking forward to all the FFVII tie ins. Dirge of Cerberus might be a nice play... that, and despite my distaste, FFVII was... tolerable.