The Future of DBZ

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by strscrm, Jun 4, 2007.

1. strscrm

strscrm GAME BOY ETERNITY

With Funimation right now re-releasing DBZ episodes with improved video and audio quality and Atari whipping out new DBZ games, what is next for Dragon Ball Z? Will there be new movies? New stories based upon minor characters? Will there be 'What If' stories that tell story of DBZ if different things happened? What will happen next?

2. Chrono Grimlock

Chrono Grimlock Perfect By Nature

News Credits:
    MMORPG and that's about it, in terms of new stuff besides other console games and DVD re-releases. Maybe another shot at the TCG gaming?

3. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    The actual series and story are done and over with, for good. Thankfully. I liked DB, and DBZ, but DBGT never had any right to exist, since even toriyama was against it.

4. Deefuzz

Deefuzz Beard On! Beardmaster! Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I never watched DBGT, it had sounded interesting but I never heard one good thing about it.

5. Sol Fury

Sol Fury The British Butcher Administrator News Staff

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Instagram:
    It was an attempt to make the series go on for longer by making up some new sagas. Couple of cool concepts (old enemy of the Saiyans out for revenge on the last survivors by turning their adopted home into his new people, Dark Dragons), but flawed execution. The series unaging Goku to knock his power down a bit shows just how silly it was to carry on, really, since he was already pretty near unstoppable otherwise.

That said, the last scene of the last episode showing the montage of scenes from across all three series was excellently done, and did give the series a decent send off.

6. Deefuzz

Deefuzz Beard On! Beardmaster! Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Yeah I thought it was dumb when I heard they wished Goku was a kid...But didn't that allow him to become some golden oozaru or something? I also saw pics of SSJ4 Goku and thought he looked really odd.

I think I might have seen that montage, did they play that Dan Dan song during that barrage of clips? I remember seeing some mashup of a bunch of DB, DBZ, and DBGT clips with that song playing and thought it was a pretty sweet clip.

7. Roanstalker

Roanstalker Great Baan Gaan fan

News Credits:
    The fight scenes in GT were crap. Worse than Buu Saga's fight scenes. If SSJ4 Goku was so good why doesnt he move as fast as SSJ2 Goku in appearance??? Well that was from viewing the Baby saga. I couldnt be bothered to watch the rest and skipped to the end lol.

8. Smasher

Smasher HUNKY BEATS

News Credits:
    GT was alright -not as good as Z, but I liked it.

Vegeta's character was allowed to grow into his role of a true hero but I really think he was the only one who grew at all.

Trunks was so bad ass in the alternate future in DBZ and in GT he was a nonpowered dork.

And I thought that we would finally see all of the heroes gang up on the villain; but nope -they just sit around wishing they had "more power" and Goku saves the day with a Spirit Bomb (agian!).

Despite my criticisms, I liked the show.

I think there is a future for DB if handed over to a clever creative team.

9. Methos

Methos ...Hail Megatron

Goku had his tail pulled back out so he could use his SuperSayin 3.
    Normally if he looked at the moon he would become a brown oozaru,but since he was on another planet looking at Earth he changed into the golden oozaru,and from there to SuperSayin 4.

10. onesock

onesock Banned

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Here's why GT was pretty badass...

- Super Saiyan 4 Goku and Vegeta.
    - Gogeta (Fusions ALWAYS rule!)

And...well damn. That's kinda all it had going for it.

11. GogDog

GogDog Logic's wayward son Veteran

News Credits:
    I liked the Vegeta Character. I even have an animation cell of him. But damn, the fights took FOREVER, spanning 20 episodes for a single fight it seemed. It hurts.

12. toma

toma eskimo in disguise

i just got budokai tenkaichi 2 for the wii and i'm loving it so i'm on a dbz kick right now. i kind of wish they would just sytart over from the end of the buu saga again and pretend gt didn't happen and see what happens there with toriyama's involvement. that would be pretty cool... maybe...

13. onesock

onesock Banned

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I LOVE it on the Wii. Especially Kamehameha!

14. Shaun_C

Shaun_C The REAL One True fan Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

It wasn't a bad series IMO as I watched it from begining to end. Though what I hated was that it seemed to retcon the DB Universe. It's especially noticeable with the 3 Saiyans Gohan, Trunks and Goten

Gohan achieved the Mystic level in the Buu saga and was pretty much the most powerful fighter. But in GT he's simply and above average Super Saiyan Lv. 1

And Trunks and Goten IMO had their power decreased as well. For 2 Saiyans who at a young age could transform into Super Saiyans without any trouble. In GT they were weak

15. DevilzFan

DevilzFan CobraIsland.com Veteran

Dragonball > DBZ

GT ranks somewhere under Chouzu's cap.

16. Gryph

Gryph Action Master

News Credits:
    One of the biggest things that ruined DBZ was when they gave in to the whiny fanboys and brought back Goku, again. It seemed utterly retarded, considering they had all that buildup for Gohan to become the new main character since the begining of DBZ. I believe that was probably the moment Toriyama gave up all hope for the series.

That will never ever happen. Toriyama despises Dragonball. The closest he's ever come to it since he left, was a single parody comic more than five years ago.

17. toma

toma eskimo in disguise

hey i know it would never happen, i'm just saying it would be cool

18. strscrm

strscrm GAME BOY ETERNITY

They could make new 'alternate reality' movies. What if Bardock never received those visions of the future and remained loyal to Frieza and Karkarot (Goku) space pod malfunctioned and Bardock took his weakling son to train him? What if Karkarot and Raditz travel to Earth to conquer it to only be confronted by the Earth's strongest fighter, Demon King Piccolo? And after defeat, the evil Piccolo and good Kami fuse to become the Super Namek and defeat the Saiyan brothers, giving need of Vegeta and Nappa? What if DBZ was done all over again in a different darker light?

19. Roanstalker

Roanstalker Great Baan Gaan fan

News Credits:
    Then it would be DBZ any more :D 

20. mx-01 archon

mx-01 archon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    There's only one thing, animation-wise, I want to see come out of the Dragonball franchise is a "Dragonball Z Re-Cut". Take all the existing footage, dump the filler (keeping some of the comic relief episodes would be alright, though), and cut the fights down to their bare minimum. Less standing around for 3 episodes waiting for Freiza to transform and crapping your pants over it (despite the fact that you were kicking his ass, and now he's just a sitting target until he completes his metamorphosis, all you can muster is gasps and "oh no, what's going to happen"s... dumbasses), and more actually doing something.

The DBZ movies were fun because they eschewed all the pacing crap. The fights were fast and furious, and the villains got to the point. It takes Goku 30 seconds to charge a spirit bomb, and it actually works (there's nothing more irritating than having Goku stand there doing nothing for 5 episodes, and half that time actually watching him do so, and then having the freakin' thing miss). There's so much filler junk in the series that just drags it all down to a total snoozefest. There's maybe 40-50 episodes worth of material in a 100+ episode span. An episode dedicated entirely to drawing your name out of a hat to determine tournament placings? It wasn't even loaded with comic hijinks to make up for it.