The Funny and the Bizarre: Misconceptions Reviewers Have about Transformers

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by StrifeZ, Jul 3, 2011.

1. StrifeZ

StrifeZ Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    So one of my favorite things to do with new movies of franchises I like is to nitpick what reviewers say, when they criticize the film on a certain point, but in actuality, the film is being faithful to the source material. Famously, one of my favorites was the original New York Times review of Transformers 2007, when Optimus Prime's "Freedom is the right of all sentient beings" line was turned around to (basically) call Optimus Prime a Reaganite Republican.

That may have been outdone by this gem I just found:

Yep. Bay gave the good Transformers aryan blue eyes and the evil ones red eyes. /facepalm
    'Transformers: Dark of the Moon' Review: Post-Human Cinema - TIME

What others have you found?

2. boxerperson

boxerperson a ringer...

Yep I noticed that one too.

In spite of it, I think that Time review is probably the best, most fair, and accurate review I've seen of the movie.

3. Goldlock

Goldlock and don't call me Shirley

News Credits:
    I read a review in a newspaper this morning (gave DOTM 2 stars), which was so biasly negative it's laughable. The reviewer claimed everything happened in the movie for no reason, & spoilt the plot twist for those who haven't even seen the movie yet; deciding to give us intelligent insights like: "A new Transformer named Sentinel Prime arrives and decides to kill people and destroy Chicago for no reason." "This movie has no plot"...this guy then goes on to confess that he loved TFTM, and thought ROTF was more fun & easy to follow.

Ladies & gentlemen; I give you the worst movie reviewer to ever darken my newspaper.

4. Oracle_Aesir

Oracle_Aesir Outback is back

News Credits:
    the only way he didn't see a plot in this film is if he had his fingers in his ears a went "LALALALALALA" all the way through it!

5. KnightHawkke

KnightHawkke A Man, Who Does Not Exist. TFW2005 Supporter

I would be willing to bet he does that more often than just during a movie...

6. longhorn35

longhorn35 40 Something Fan

I guess if the guy thinks Bay was thinking that way with the eyes, the George Lucas must have been thinking the same with the blut sabers for Jedi and red for Sith. At least in the SW ANH and SW ESB... Just sayin.

7. rxlthunder

rxlthunder Banned

News Credits:
  8. Regressor

Regressor Well-Known Member

Those sort of comments make no sence. Saying that the plot is incomprehensible is a puss out move for people who didn't even bother to pay attention to the screen.

Also all allegations that the action is confusing, the editing is choppy or the robot characters messy, are all completely false. I've watched the film and I can say that it's completely bullshit.

9. Hooper_X

Hooper_X hi haters

hahah people who get paid to watch movies for a living and think critically about them don't understand the 30 years of backstory behind transformers fiction oh no let's burn them in effigy

when your job is *literally* to watch the best and worst movies in the world and distinguish between them (and the simply mediocre ones, like DOTM), you have a different set of standards from "it kicked ass"/"it sucked."

10. cheetorBWORG

cheetorBWORG Cheetor Fan

News Credits:
    Ebert and Roper are just gaseous old men who can't get with the times. I'll never take their reviews seriously.

11. Wu Jen

Wu Jen Some old nobody

See if your Not a Reganite Republican you don't believe that "Freedom is the right of all sentient beings".

Seems pretty simple to me.

12. iceburn9

iceburn9 Constructicon

News Credits:
    I respect a reviewer who lays out what a movie is about, its plusses and weaknesses, and finally, whether he enjoyed it or otherwise, and the reasons for it. Now that, for me, is a good review.

What I despise are reviewers who go into a cinema with preconceptions and make sweeping generalizations based on their viewpoints alone.

Like a food review, a good one tells the reader what a restaurant offers, what it lacks, how he found the experience and why he liked or hated it. A retarded reviewer will make statements like, "the food is so exceedingly poor that you'd have to be a desperate soul who couldn't afford a meal elsewhere to even fathom eating here".

I don't care if they make a living by watching movies. If they can't see past their own ideals and give an objective rundown of a movie, then they're no better than the average joe on the street giving his opinion.

13. Regressor

Regressor Well-Known Member

14. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Dry built

News Credits:
    Because it's not like in the original cartoon all the good guys had blue eyes and all bad guys have red.

15. Leadfoot

Leadfoot The Strongest.

You can see it not just in critics, but in plenty of members of this forum. They are wholeheartedly rooting for these movies to fail in some sense or another, regardless of what virtues or improvements they may have. They are giddy over Ebert's reviews, and those of other ancient critics who resent the fact that they have to review a movie whose source material originated with children's toys. This colors their approach to watching it, analyzing, and reviewing these films. The results aren't pretty.

These critics, armed with the mystical powers of a thesaurus, viciously rip apart these movies, no doubt hunched over their computers grinning and wringing their hands. It has become a tradition over these last few years.

They just plain resent it, and the fanboys who hate these movies hate them for their own unwavering, personal preferences about what this franchise ought to be. There's no sense of loyalty or appreciation. There's no sense that they should be grateful to have their beloved toys get the blockbuster treatment. It's all petty nerd rage, and when the producers try to pay homage to the original source material, they just call it "fanwank".

Hey, if you can't be pleased, why bother even watching? And stop pissing in the rest of us's cornflakes.

16. StrifeZ

StrifeZ Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    I've said this a number of itmes, but for the most part, the fans who who rag on Bayverse don't get it. Transformers on the big screen really has two avenues. It can be like Bayverse, and be the centerpiece of an entire summer on July 4th, draw a billion dollars, be a massive crowd pleaser and really push modern film technology (CG in TF1 and 2, 3D in DotM). Or it can be a minor, hardcore fan only CGI animated feature, along the lines of TMNT or Clone Wars. And since animated features not by Pixar or Dreamworks Animation typically fail, you'd have a Transformer film that makes over its entire run, what DotM made through Friday.

As I've been saying, these fans should really ask TMNT fans how the TMNT CG film from a couple of years ago worked out for their franchise. If some fans would have their way, that would be Transformers.

But honestly, this is hardly unique to this fandom. Every fandom has a strong "purist" contingent that always tries to dominate the discussion. Hasbro has been pretty smart by throwing that contingent some bones, but doing what it wants with the larger franchise. Other franchises haven't been so lucky. Star Trek fandom, the most notorious, worried itself with debates of "why isnt there a gay regular character" or some sorry plot point like that for about 20 years, and then acted surprised when every show had fewer viewers than the previous one, leading it to get canceled, and then rebooted. And now Star Trek is stuck in the doldrums, waiting for JJ Abrams to get around to doing another sequel.

I remember, way back in the day when Armada was first announced, there was a lot of debate about if, what was called at the time, the "Final Fantasy-ization" of the franchise would destroy it, because Transformers, up until that time, had been one continuity (RID was being portrayed as Post-Season 2 pre-movie G1, even though that made no sense). Here we are, about 10 years later, and Transformers are more popular than ever. I'd say on the back of about $2 billion in tickets and massive sales since 2007 of Transformers merchandise, that this debate has been effectively settled.

It's really on these purist fans to just give it up with their demands already. Did I want to see a all 3 seekers, Soundwave, Megatron, Ravage and Laserbeak in one room scheming? Yup. But the fact that we didn't doesn't diminish the enjoyment of these films in any way. The core of Transformers is the fight between Heroic Autobots lead by Optimus Prime and Evil Decepticons lead by Megatron. Everything else is just details.

But that isnt going to stop some fans. They want obscure Marvel G1 cameos. Or they want some obscure 1988 or 1989 name to show up. But they completely miss the point: the bayverse is one of two ways of what TFs on the big screen look like. The alternative, the TMNT alternative, is frankly, less than these characters deserve.

Or let me put it this way: isn't it amazing to go into an IMAX3D theater, with every seat taken and see Optimus and Megatron continue their endless battle? Or would some people rather go to a 1/3rd capacity, 35mm theater to watch some purist adaptation.

17. Christiankid7

Christiankid7 Christianbot

18. Starscreamownz

Starscreamownz Air Commander

News Credits:
    Everyone comment on this loons article insulting him. I'm serious, I'm making the first charge. Tally hoe!

19. Crainy

Crainy Well-Known Member

20. Trypticon 2010

Trypticon 2010 Well-Known Member

:bowdown: 

Please can we have this post stickyed on the forum front page or something?