The Flaws in Comic Books

Discussion in 'Comic Books and Graphic Novels' started by RodimusDawg, Aug 20, 2008.

1. RodimusDawg

RodimusDawg Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I came across a thought yesterday while driving and I had just recently viewed the new trailer for X-men Origin: Wolverine, and I was thinking to myself that if Hugh Jackman isn't a regular smoker then it must suck when a scene calls for him to smoke. And I think too bad he doesn't really have a healing factor, and it occurred to me that even wolverine in the comics should have a hard time smoking.

If his healing factor and can mend cuts, push out bullets, and regrow some body parts such as an eye. Would it be like smoking for the first time every time he lit up a new cigar. His healing factor would more than likely fix any damages done by smoking. Right?

And another one I thought of is Two Face in the Dark Knight movie. The condition his face was in and how he just left he would have developed a nasty infection in maybe a few hours to a day later and possibly died a few days after that.

I know I'm just picking things apart too much. But I really do love and enjoy comics and I don't start picking them apart until weeks later and my mind start to wander. If anyone else has any good ones share em.

2. Nachtsider

Nachtsider Banned

News Credits:
    I fail to see why this should be the case, Rodimus. Acclimatization to smoking doesn't depend on whether or not your lungs have been damaged by the habit.

3. Doctor Doom

Doctor Doom Doom is best pony Veteran

They never did establish how long he was in the hospital, and there was a good possability that the wounds were cauterize by the flames, thus sealing the unharmed tissue from bacteria.

4. Kickback

Kickback @GeekWithChris Administrator News Staff

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Tumblr:
    Smoking one cigarette not only doesn't kill you, it doesn't cause any real harm to your body. The problem when you "smoke for the first time" is you, the person, is not used to the feeling of sucking something in to your lungs, and you end up coughing to get the smoke out.

Your body can heal the lungs, etc., but the "cough like mad" reaction is a reflex more than anything.

5. RodimusDawg

News Credits:
    Ok this is a comic books we are talking about here I don't want to get too serious with it.

But Kickback hit the nail on the head.The point I'm trying to make is almost anyone who takes a drag from a cigar or cigarette for the first time usually goes into a coughing fit of some sort from the ash,tar,and carcinogens . Wolverine's healing factor would purge these every time they are introduced into his lungs, thus kind of in a way giving him untainted lungs. In which he would have the fore mentioned coughing spell almost every time he lit up.

Yes that is true they never did say how long he was in for but he still had the protective mesh over his face. And that can be argued that it was there to hide his face and to up the anticipation in the audience to see Two Face. But I would say it was there to keep said bacteria out.

6. Ziero

Ziero TFW2005 Supporter

But as kickback pointed out, he wouldn't have those coughing fits, despite how healthy his lungs are. The coughing is a physical reflex, sort of like swallowing a pill for the first time. The feeling is what causes it, not any sort of initial damage or anything. Wolvie would be used to the feeling, despite having super healthy lungs, so he wouldn't cough or anything. It could also be likened to eating a super sour food or some such, the first time you do it you'll have a physical reaction, but after getting used to it you won't notice it as much. It's not due to some long lasting changes to your body, but the memory and acclaimation of the repeated activity would become second nature to you.

There's also the fact that whenever Wolvie popped out his claws he was for all intensive purposes tearing apart fully healed flesh. Yet it never seemed to cause him pain, not because there was no damage to the area his claws came out of, but because he personally was just used to the feeling. Similar to those who have pierced ears.

7. RodimusDawg

News Credits:
    I doubt it's something you get use to if every time is like the first time.:banghead:  Damns you comics and letting anything happen or be explained with a simple rewrite or write in.

Edit: Nevermind I just read somewhere that it is his healing factor that keeps him from coughing and hacking. I think I like KickBack's theory better.

8. Switchblade

Switchblade Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    There's a difference between Wolvie's healing factor undoing any smoke damage to his body and him getting used to the act of smoking. He doesn't forget how to smoke after each time - we never see him take a puff off his cigar and think "huh, what the hell do I do now, bub?" The act of smoking is a learned behavior, and his healing factor doesn't prevent him from picking up learned behaviors.

And as for Two-Face... well, it's a comic book movie. It may be more grounded than, say Fantastic Four, but it's still a movie based on a type of fantasy world. You have to suspend your disbelief at some point and just run with things.

9. RodimusDawg

News Credits:

Whaaaa!!?? I'm not saying he would forget how to smoke that wouldn't make any sense at all. I talking about the hot ash and smoke going into his lungs and irritating his lungs causing him to cough.

And yeah I know you gotta turn the noggin off but sometimes you gotta try and think otherwise.

10. jdre_124

jdre_124 Super Dick

News Credits:
    Well seeing how in current Wolverine has been torn in half and merely started sniffing around for his lower torso and can stand getting shot without flinching, I'm sure something like smoking wouldn't do jack to him.

11. smkspy

smkspy Remember true fans

hot ash doesn't go into your lungs when you smoke.

12. RodimusDawg

News Credits:
    Really? Then what makes smoke?

You do realize that when you suck in you are inhaling lil burning bits of paper, tobacco, and what ever else is in the cigarette. That's what makes smoke. Smoke is a hot vapor containing fine particles of carbon being produced by combustion. Or ash or what ever you want to call it.

But back on subject and since we are on Wolverine. Just how good is his healing factor and can it be considered a flaw for stories sake? Like Jdre_124 said Wolverine got ripped in half by the Hulk and had to climb (don't quote me) 1 mile up a mountain and he crawled his way to it and reattached it and healed. I think that was in Ultimate Hulk vs Ultimate Wolverine.

And before someone gets up in arms and says "Its a comic book and not real" yes I know that. But even some things in comics can be too far fetched. And honestly if it is It turns me off to it and I eventually stop reading.

13. Wreckgar

Wreckgar Anthony Stark Veteran

News Credits:
    Yep. We can overlook aliens coming to earth in rockets from distant planets and looking exactly like humans, we can overlook walking nuclear reactors, we can overlook radioactive animal bites, and we can even overlook cosmic rays giving super powers and not cancer. But smoking in comics not causing coughing fits? UNBELIEVABLE!

And Joe Q got rid of characters smoking anyway, as emphasized in X-Force Ain't No Dog.

14. Lance Halberd

Lance Halberd oh hai

News Credits:
    What are intensive purposes? They sound like serious business!

The phrase you are looking for is "for all intents and purposes."

15. Spider Striker

Spider Striker ThisGuyWithTheYellowCap

Heh. My brother was saying it "intensive purposes" too.

And yeah, dude, at some point you just gotta try to switch that part of your brain off. Though, to be fair, I still would like to know how Spider-Man's mask can wink, blink and have expression.

16. Hound_Dawg

Hound_Dawg Well-Known Member

I think it has been said in here already, there just comes a point were you just accept certian things about the story, and the characters at hand. I mean think of all the head aches you could recieve looking at every flaw, in every character and every story?

Case in point, Jean Grey dies, is concidered dead for all intents and purposes, comes back from the dead, marries Scott, does that now make Scott a Necrophilliac? Actually I am just pointing out the obsured.

Bottom line, comic books are really meant to entertain. The moment you start to rationalize everything, and need everything in a comic book explained or researched out to no end. Is the day that Superman is no longer Super, and Wolverine cries like a sissy when he hears the sound "snickt"

17. RodimusDawg

News Credits:
    Actually Wolverine has had a coughing fit from smoking during the Chris Claremont run back in the day. ;)  But bringing up X-force this points out another flaw with comics and once again Wolverine and no I'm not on a Wolverine bashing streak he just keeps popping up. I love Wolverine. But how is he on the both X-men teams , X-force, The New Avengers, and still doing his own thing all at once. Now that is UNBELIEVABLE!!!! Especially since most of these title's story arcs are all supposed to be happening at the same time.

18. Chrono Grimlock

Chrono Grimlock Buttstuff Werewolf

News Credits:
    Actually, all these stories are taking place at different times. X-Force is quite sometime after the current X-Men runs, and New Avengers is taking place in the past currently...

19. BallaTron

BallaTron Well-Known Member

Ebay:

Last edited: Aug 21, 2008
  20. wheeljack01

wheeljack01 Happiness is a warm gun

I have a problem...how does the hulk still have clothes to shrink into after he changes back to Banner. I mean come on....they would be a little more then ripped...lol.