the FLASH: Rebirth (look at the pretty spoilers)

Discussion in 'Comic Books and Graphic Novels' started by Lumpy, Apr 1, 2009.

1. Tekkaman Blade

Tekkaman Blade Professor of Animation

News Credits:
    Is it working now?

2. Mr. Sinister

Mr. Sinister Cat + Sinister = TROUBLE

Not unless Hannah Montana is promoting this.

3. Tekkaman Blade

Tekkaman Blade Professor of Animation

News Credits:
    [​IMG]

There I changed the host.

[​IMG]

4. OmegaScourge

OmegaScourge Custom Made TFW2005 Supporter

i know the last post was in May but anyone still reading this.

so the latest issue brings back Max Mercury and the Speed Force...and Barry is no longer the Black Flash anymore :( 

Seems like instead of retconning what they did in the past, they just made this title to fix all that. No one's dead that got killed, the return of the Speed Force...and here i thought Barry was gonna stay the Black Flash for a while.

5. Lumpy

Lumpy Taylor Swift Action Master Super Mod

News Credits:
    yeah, i read it...i'm still digging it, but not as much as other stuff Johns has written... i'm not surprised that Barry burnt off the black...and everyone shoulda known he did since this takes place before Blackest Night...but still, i like the story...i like how barry has basically become the speed force, and all the stuff going on with the reverse flash is cool...can't wait to see how this ends...though i believe i've heard 3 flash books are coming out of this, and i don't know if i can afford all that...but we'll see...

6. smkspy

smkspy Remember true fans

I don't know why. I hear this alot, but did people really think they'd bring Barry back only to make him Black Flash? I dunno, I'm just kinda baffled by this...I guess its just people hoping for Wally to remain the main Flash.

I'm still liking the series evne if I'm reading for it to get over with. I want the ongoing to start up again.

7. Switch625

Switch625 "Up, up, and away!"

I'm loving this series. This is the most I've ever cared about the Flash. I just wish they would get around to giving Wally his new uniform already. Is he getting a new name too? There are now 3 Flashes running around and that could get confusing.

8. Aberration

Aberration Templar Rodimus

News Credits:
    I thought the revelation that Barry created the Speed Force sounds kinda hokey, but we'll see where Johns is going with that. (After all, having red and blue lanterns pop up out of nowhere sounded hokey too, but that's worked out so far.)

I guess this does explain why the Speed Force doesn't exist in the Marvel Universe though :)  (as Wally learned the hard way in JLA/Avengers...)

9. Lumpy

News Credits:
    yeah, i don't know what's gonna happen...there's 3 flash's now, plus kid flash...but i'm sure Johns has some crazy plan that'll totally make sense and make me wonder why i didn't see it already...

anyone else wondering if Professor Zoom touching the kids will affect their powers at all? there was a line that caught me of interest, something about them not being fully connected i believe...

10. Switch625

Switch625 "Up, up, and away!"

"I can feel their tie to the Speed Force tangled in a knot. Their bodies haven't managed to mainline it yet. Hush now, children, I'll untangle the knots. And then I'll strangle you with you rope."

I just hope that whatever happens with Wally, it won't all be about his kids. I don't have a problem with him having kids and I don't have a problem with them having powers. I just don't want each of Wally's stories centered around dealing with his kids and their wonky powers.

11. Switchblade

Switchblade Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I'm still mostly liking the series, but Barry Allen creating the Speed Force is the lamest retcon since... well, since Johns made XS and Impulse turn out to really be from his unboot Legion's world. Now I usually like Johns's work, but I think he's making some kind of dumb and pointless decisions with the speedsters.

12. smkspy

It kinda makes sense from a DC universe (the company) point of view. They want to celebrate Barry as the character that helped revive super-hero comics creating the Silver Age. By making him the creator of the Speed Force, they cement his place not just as a speedster, but as the cornerstone of the Flash universe.

13. tentagil

tentagil Well-Known Member

So if Barry Created the speed force how was it that Johhny Quick, Jay Garrick, and Max Mercury were all using it before Barry was ever born? I mean they may not have realized they were accessing it, well other then Max, but they've long since said that all the speedsters in DCU pull their power from the Speed Force.

And why exactly did they feel the need to kill off Barry's parents and change the day he met Iris, those changes seemed kinda pointless. Tieing thier meeting to the day he got his powers and a trial for the "Mirror Master' prior to his becoming a costume villain really made no sense to me. Not to mention the whole thing kinda negates the sacrifice he made during the original Crisis, but then he was one of the only heroes over the years to stay dead, I guess it was past time for DC to bring him back.

I guess I'm glad to have Barry back, just not a fan of some of the retcons they felt necessary to add in with his return.

14. smkspy

Good point on the Golden Age Speedsters, but I think they're trying to explain it as Barry is the creator of the speed force on Earth-1 (or is it Earth Prime now?). Remember Jay, Max, and Jesse were incorporated into Earth-1 after Crisis. Hell, Max wasn't incorporated into The Flash comics until 1993. Since they all have different origins not tied to the SF originally, it could be theorized that Barry can be seen as the central source of the Speed Force, since he is the central Flash.

And things get retconned... I know some people are bothered about it, but it has been 25 years since Barry died. Hell, I don't even how Barry met Iris anymore, or that his parents were alive when he became The Flash. A few tweeks to his origins will perhaps make him a more interesting character, and keep him from another Crisis fate.

Personally, I'm just thrilled to death that DC is finally recognizing just how important Barry and Hal are to the DC Universe. These were the two guys that ushered in the Silver Age, not Superman, Batman, or Wonder Woman. Together they brought back super-hero comics when the genre was thought to be all but done. They paved the way for Marvel to rise in 60s.

15. Lumpy

News Credits:
    i too was wondering about Jay and the others, but smkspy's explanation sounds great to me...and i never read anything flash other then Wally, so i'm excited to have Barry's origin, even if its a little different...and retcons are bound to happen to a character thats been around for more then 20 years...its a way to help new readers be interested...

16. OmegaScourge

i keep forgetting this takes place before Blackest Night (which is already happening...thus why i hate titles that spoil other titles months earlier)...i thought they would use another arc (maybe his first arc in his ongoing title) for him to let loose as the Black Flash.

17. tentagil

tentagil Well-Known Member

I suppose I can buy that about the Speed Force, especially since they've brought back the whole multiverse thing. I still don't see the point to killing off his parents, all it does is add unnecessary angst to the character. As for Iris, I'm not sure if they actually have ever shown how they met, but they were dating long before he became the Flash, he discovered he'd gained his powers because he was late for a date.

I'm just not a fan of retconning in general.

18. Lumpy

News Credits:
    but wasn't his dad getting arrested for the murder of his mom? if that didn't happen it gives barry something to prove, since he is a scientist and cop...he'll get his dad off somehow...

19. OmegaScourge

i wonder when we're going to get a glimpse of the new Wally West Flash suit.

as for name, i doubt it...we got four Green Lanterns running out yet they're all called GL.

20. Lumpy

News Credits:
    yeah, i don't see a need to too many name changes...they can all just be the flash and i'll be okay...