The first comic to get you hooked on comics?

Discussion in 'Comic Books and Graphic Novels' started by ORIO, Feb 9, 2010.

1. ORIO

ORIO Plant-Based Bot Super Mod News Staff

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    After I saw "Pryde of The X-Men" on good ol' vhs, I found Uncanny X-Men #238 at a convient store in a small ski town here in NM. I recognized Storm, Dazzler, Colossus and Wolvie on the cover. I didn't recognize the other four (Psylocke, Rogue, Havok and Longshot) and became completely enthralled. My cousins each bought an issue of X-Men too at the same time. One had Rogue kiss Colossus, gain his power and fly away leaving his body. (Hell, any idea what issue that was??) Either way that comic was my jumpin' off point.

How about you?

2. Nachtsider

Nachtsider Banned

News Credits:
    Doraemon #1.

3. Scythe

Scythe Future Foundation

News Credits:
    When I first read Marvel Secret Wars. I was hooked on phonics, I mean, comics after that.

4. jtuarus

jtuarus Prowls circutsu master TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    Shazam #1

5. RabidYak

RabidYak Go Ninja Go Ninja Go

Way too far back for me to remember, probably some random issue of The Beano when I was about 5.

6. ILoveDinobot

ILoveDinobot Arise Rodimus Prime

News Credits:
    Well first for me it was Transformers, I saw the DW More than Meets the Eyes profile books. As for non TF related stuff, I got into Superman/Batman comics because I used to watch Justice League when it was airing on Cartoon Network with my friend and he loved the way Batman and Superman always butted heads. Which brought me to finding about the "World's Finest". After that I wanted to read Justice League, and so on and so on.

7. Altercron

Altercron Well-Known Member

Green Lantern, vol. 3, issue #50. Seeing Hal kill Sinestro and Kilowog, and the Guardians become crispy critters was a very interesting first read.

8. Murasame

Murasame CHIMICHANGAS

News Credits:
    It was some comic with Captain America, H.Y.D.R.A., Diamondback who drove around in a Car with Cap but he didn't get attracted by her, a dead Modok, the Scorpion... but I don't remember more... is a long time ago...

And possibly the same time I got an X-Men Comic with a story which frightend me much where Kitty was alone at the X-Men Mansion with some N'Garai monster and there was another cool story called Days of Future Past.

9. Macross7

Macross7 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    The Star Wars issue where Lando fell of Cloud City at the end.

10. Empir3

Empir3 Bedstructicon Empir3

I use to collect comics when i was younger and i was all over the place in the 90s with the "X" titles but really what got me hooked and actually reading a lot more was the first Authority run by Ellis.

11. Lumpy

Lumpy Taylor Swift Actionmaster Super Mod

News Credits:
    the first books i recall having as a kid were from a 5 pack my mom got me at the base we were living... it was NFL Superpro 1, Amazing Spiderman 351 and 352 (featuring Nova and the TRI-Sentinel) and Sleepwalker 5 and 6...

sleepwalker is still one of my favorite characters, and i really want to finish my run on that book someday... i think i'm more then halfway done...

more recently, the books that got me back into comics when i was in college were Invincible, The Walking Dead and DW TF books... and Batman HUSH...

Attached Files:

12. Darkspeed

Darkspeed Avatar Freak

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Honestly, Dreamwave's TF #1... Yeah, the art was a bit bunk, but definitely what started me off as a comic book fan.

13. ORIO

ORIO Plant-Based Bot Super Mod News Staff

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Fuckin' Superpro FTW.

14. Murasame

Murasame CHIMICHANGAS

News Credits:
    Wait, I forgot there was one comic I had earlier. There was Superman and he got a golden Sword with the S-Symbol on it and in another story he had birthday and Batman visited him with Wonderwoman and Robin. They found him with some strange thing on his chest and he was dreaming something...

15. TheIncredibleHulk

TheIncredibleHulk Find Gary Busey!

[​IMG]

16. bumblebot98

bumblebot98 Banned

News Credits:
    Probably Spectacular Spiderman.

17. Takara_destron

Takara_destron Mainly lurking these days

Ebay:
    I got hooked on comics through the Maximum Carnage Mega Drive/Genesis game, so I'll go with that saga.

18. Recall

Recall Player Select

News Credits:
    While I've never been huge into comics there is one particular that at least peaked my interest enough to dive in and see what all the fuss was about and see if it was something for I. It was a 2000AD comic, one which my Dad used to collect (i'm talking what feels like forever ago) and it was a story of a Boy with a Teddy Bear that would come to life and kill anything that tried to attack the kid.

I can't remember the title if the story but it was cool enough that i wanted to see what else the comic world had to offer at the time.

19. Sage o' G-fruit

Sage o' G-fruit Critics gonna critique

News Credits:
    Spider-Man Civil War Part Two, Up, Up, And Away Part 5, and FNSM #3, all at once.

20. Gingerchris

Gingerchris Telly-headed Tyrant

News Credits:
    Can't exactly say I'm hooked on comics these days, but my first comic was issue #1 of the UK reprint of The Uncanny X-Men, I think sometime in the early '80s. Collected them right up until the reprint title finished.
    There might've been some Beano and Dandy in there but really those were my brother's comics so I won't count those.