The first 40 minutes of TLK.

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by Livingdeaddan, Jul 13, 2017.

?

Which act do you prefer?

1. Act 1

2. Act 2

3. Act 3

4. Equally bad

5. Equally good

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Livingdeaddan

Livingdeaddan ...angel to others.

News Credits:
    So... I kinda watched the first 40 minutes (just past SIRI Bumblebee) of TLK on a streaming website while doing the housework today.. I won't watch anymore, I'll wait until the movie is released..

.. but here's the thing.. apart from the silly Merlin opening.. So far it looks like it's the best Transformers movie.. by far!

I mean it's basically a comedy so far, but even that's saying something.. TLK actually has legitimate comedy. I laughed out loud more than I did during the other movies combined. SIRI voice was gold!

Daytrader and his interaction with the Autobots and Cade is great, Hound is practically the Autobot lead, Wheelies about, Marky Marks comedy timing actually seems to exist now, the little Nick girl is really likeable...

Megatron is the best he's ever been.. You don't even bother wondering where Galvatron is because BANG there's Megatron front and centre from the start!

IDK, I guess the first act sets up a better movie than we actually end up getting... maybe I'm just beaten down! :lol 

Any thoughts on why the last two thirds of the movie don't apparently live up to the first!?!

(I'll know for myself in another 3 weeks!)

• Like Like x 5
  2. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Because (quite literally) everything you liked about those first 40 minutes comes to an abrupt halt immediately after that. :( 

• Like Like x 18
  3. Livingdeaddan

News Credits:
    Yeah that the feeling I got..

• Like Like x 3
  4. transformervic1

transformervic1 HI!

News Credits:
    Yeah that very part of the movie is the most cohesive, especially the beginning knight battle. The autobot junkyard scene is definitely candy to those of us who love the robot screentime and also likes RID (if I'm not mistaken the characters in that show hide out in a junkyard).

I'd say things go downhill right after Megatron gets his crew. But that's my opinion. You might come to like the rest of the movie.

• Like Like x 3
  5. Red Goblin

Red Goblin Veteran

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    First 30-40 minutes are my least favorite part of the movie. There's so much unneeded stuff like its incredible. If the movie was about Bots vs TRF like a AOE2.0 it would be a fine first act, but its not. It ultimately drags everything and makes it an incoherent mess. If it started off with Cogman and developed that side of the story (which is the main plot) everything would be so much nicer.

Plus I would rather watch Anthony Hopkins and Laura Haddock interact, they were much more fun than Cade and the junkyard crew.

6. Livingdeaddan

News Credits:
    Woah! So it's not that the quality declines, it's literally that the whole is a mess that doesn't equal the sum of its parts!?

• Like Like x 1
  7. sideswipe3

sideswipe3 Well-Known Member

I think all the America scenes are good but after Cogman shows up and they leave the junkyard it goes downhill. I will admit I did like Cogman a lot.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Chris James

Chris James Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I absolutely loved the 1st act of the movie, which to me is everything until they go to Burton's castle (I'll include Hot Rod's intro because I love that scene).

It was just so much fun because you had the perfect balance of everything and the movie was giving me what I wanted to see. That Dragonstorm intro, Optimus & Quintessa, the Autobots in the junkyard, Daytrader, Megatron's scenes were awesome, the suicide-cons, the humor, the town battle scene(short but fun). The human element was working really well also. The scene where Cade was calling Tessa was nice and sweet and also the scenes with him and Izzy. I thought I was in for the best TF movie yet.

But then we got a horrible Da Vinci code 2nd act (everything after they leave Burton's castle till the submarine). The pacing sucked, storytelling sucked, humor sucked and all the Bots were M.I.A cept Cogman(who was way too overused).

Then we got a decent and relatively fun 3rd act. The movie became watchable once Nemesis Prime came back.

If I were ranking TF films based on their first acts

1. The Last Knight
    2. Revenge of the Fallen
    3. Dark of the Moon
    4. Age of Extinction
    5. Transformers

Last edited: Jul 13, 2017
    • Like Like x 3
  9. BarricadeLives

BarricadeLives i'm you! i'm your shadow!

easily act 1..there was still hope then despite the underlying issues that had already begun to crop up

fwiw:
    tf1-act 3
    tf2-act 1
    tf3-act 2
    tf4-act 3
    tf5-act 1

10. BarricadeLives

that's exactly how i would describe it, while i enjoyed cogman, his arrival was the beginning of the end..kinda like in dotm when ironhide dies the movie just never reaches that point again.

id make the argument ironhide's death was the 'end' of the 'old transformer filmverse' & the beginning of the one we've been in since!

• Like Like x 1
  11. primal789

primal789 Prime

News Credits:
    I'll just say this:I liked all the acts overall.(I'm not saying every second of it okay?But because the movie is fast paced it helps)I even liked the castle scenes.I was very interested in what Edmund Burton said..very interesting and we got Cogman and Hot Rod lol the WWII scene even if it was brief I just can't say I got bored.I like every act for what it has to offer:1 for character moments and stuff,junkyard comedy with the 'Bots and all that..'Cons,the 2nd for story mostly..it helps you to understand more..also the round table is cybertronian everyone haha and the final act it was action I loved that.I couldn't dislike it even if I wanted to..to me the boring scenes didn't last long,I have to say my least favorite was the submarine part but even there there were great moments.I dunno..I'm in that minority that really liked this film..so that's that...again this is just me I don't want others to share my opinion,just whatever...

• Like Like x 3
  12. sideswipe3

sideswipe3 Well-Known Member

Same also with Optimus death while rotf still had crazy moments before that I felt after Prime's death it became more of a Sam movie.

• Like Like x 1
  13. RorMachine

RorMachine We Were Brothers Once!

News Credits:
    i hope Bumble Bee & TF6 is better than The Last Knight i loved the first 40 minutes of The Last Knight but second and third act was awful. and those Human scientist didn't need to be in the movie it could've got cut out some way... it was disturbing :/

• Like Like x 3
  14. BarricadeLives

in hindsight im really disappointed our traditional f-bomb didn't go to daytrader from hound

"shut the **** up daytrader!" would have been classic

• Like Like x 4
  15. Nitro Zeus

Nitro Zeus mediocre meme man

Personally, I liked the medieval setpiece but believed that it went on a bit too long, especially considering how little it actually achieved story-wise. The first act, perhaps excluding some of the more unnecessary bits of the TRF drone chase, absolutely blew me away. As much as I enjoyed the introduction to and involvement of Burton, Cogman, Vivian, and especially our old pal Ut Rud, it didn't quite mark a linear drop in quality, so much as switch to a completely different, somewhat worse new movie. I really grew to like Cogman and Burton, despite how cartoonish they were sometimes. The car chase was a mixed bag for me. I loathed anytime it went to Bee/Barricade (I had this gut feeling that we wouldn't get anything more than in the trailers, and sure enough..), but had a genuine blast with Hopkins flipping the bird at passerbys and Cogman trying to contain his road rage. The stuff with the submarine up to the interactions with Merlin's tomb was a load of dogshit. Why didn't it transform? Could it? Why do we need to see TRF preparing their submarines? Where the hell was Hot Rod? As much as I liked to see Cogman being matchmaker for Cade and Vivian, how badly do you have to screw up a relationship dynamic so the comic relief character's attempt at creating a date...works? When Skullitron came online, the wild ride began again, and especially when Prime came back, I felt more of that joy I felt during the first act. Loved the third act, here disregarding how easily Megatron was defeated by...most of the Autobots. I would've been a little happier if he had killed Hound or something because then the fact that every active Autobot in the movie except for Drift and Crosshairs attacked him at the same time might be justified. I know he's technically a villain, but nobody but Hound actually seemed to care about him. Out of ten?
    ACT I-9 'shits' out of 10
    ACT II-5 'duuudes' out of 10
    ACT III-8 'My name is Optimus Primes' out of ten
    My rating- MY GUN WILL STOP THE TIME,but will it win back the public's reception of Transformers?

• Like Like x 2
  16. CKPRIME

CKPRIME Lighter of Darkest Hours

If you like the Marky Mark comedy, it's still there. Anthony Hopkins has some great lines. One of the funniest bits in the movie is with Cogman during that middle stretch. Then the big action ending happens. Could have used some more balance for the transformers. Maybe another scene at the junk yard or something. Still enjoyed the hell out of the movie, I don't think it deserves the hate it gets.

• Like Like x 3
  17. Boneless Pizza

Boneless Pizza Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    In the 2nd act and 3rd act, it was just ugh what the hell is going on? The 2nd act were pretty much exposition scenes about what's going to happen until Optimus vs Bee fight. The 3rd act was pretty much bad action scenes, my god TLK had the worse action sequences in the franchise.

18. Thundercrackers

Thundercrackers Cybertonian Scholar

The Arthurian segment was awesome, the rest of the movie stunk to high heaven.

19. GirlBot

GirlBot Mini-Cassette

News Credits:
    I think that's a good description. The finale was wacky and so not like the usual Bay fare, btw.

(Since they had over 10h of footage they could have made 2 movies out of it and air the second part in 2019! The story might have been more cohesive :lol )

• Like Like x 2
  20. Moy

Moy Constructicons!

News Credits:
    The movie has its good parts but once again fails to connect the previous films. Let us know how you feel once you finish the rest.