The Finals Relief Thread

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Dinobot Nuva, May 15, 2008.

1. Dinobot Nuva

Dinobot Nuva Johnny 3 Tears Veteran

News Credits:
    Because I WANT to make one. That's why.

This is for all ya'all who're experiencing the hell that is FINALS right now, or in the immediate future (or past?). I just took my Spanish 4 final today, have my AP Statistics and Pre-calc finals on Tuesday, and it keeps rolling all through next week.

Funny enough, my school's excuse is "they're trying to prepare us for college". Dunno if they noticed many 4 year University's give those of us with A's in the class the option to defer the final exam, or the option to take them earlier because of plans or ease in scheduling, but no, my school district totally has a dick up its ass (not getting into that now, but w/e) and doesn't let us do any of that. I've got A's in all my classes now, and the way the Final exam system works here (80% of your grade is everything else, 20% is the final) the only purpose it serves is to drop my overall grade. For the past three years I've had A's drop down to B's and lower my overall GPA just because of this ridiculous college prep. bullshit.
    Not to mention, my dad is one of those uber-concerned parents who only wants me to be the perfect student (at least he cares right? Totally thankful for that, feel bad for the kids who can get away with D's...) and I get some serious shit when I come home with ONE B like last semester.

Ah well, I just had to vent folks, this is some stressful shit and I gotta keep my A's (and one B in Physics, fo shizzle). Anybody else going through finals feel free to "fucking asplode" however you see fit, ITS ALMOST SUMMER!

DN

2. Mikerahk

Mikerahk Member

Amen brother, amen.

I know exactly how you feel; tests, while they have their merits, are no friend of mine. I see no real point to tests beyond the simple explanation that they determine how well you take them. Now I understand that they supposedly measure your knowledge of the subject, the better the grade, the more you've mastered it. That's fine, you can say that; personally, I'd prefer if these tests were weighted less, more like homework. They're okay at best, but they're no friend of mine.

3. Dinobot Nuva

News Credits:
    They use the "to measure your knowledge of the course you've taken" excuse all the time for finals. I can see that for kids who have questionable grades. But for people who have grades in the 90's range, who've obviously mastered the material throughout the course, what about them? We've done all the work, put in all the effort on every nightly assignment, those weekly tests, those random ass quizs and the bullshit rehashed review periods, why do we have to prove anything to anybody?
    DN

4. smkspy

smkspy is one nice fucking kitty

One good thing about Grad school...rarely if ever do I have finals now. Hell, I've been done since the 1st.

5. Socialvegetable

Socialvegetable Wrecker

News Credits:
    Dunno what 4-year universities you've been looking into, but I'm pretty sure that's up to the individual professor, and in my grad/undergrad career I've had maybe 2 professors allow students to opt out based on their grade. I went to a college prep HS, and the rigorous curriculum made my undergrad career seem like a cakewalk in comparison. Maybe you'll appreciate it one day, too.

6. LatinJEM777

LatinJEM777 TFW's Premier Shredder

Finals were hell for me. But more so because of my major (Industrial Design), I've had more of Final Projects. One of my classes' final deliverables involved a clean physical model (craftsmanship to the point of OCD), a 25 page full color brochure with professional graphics and all, a 24x36 Presentation board, and a Powerpoint presentation. It was on a Voting Booth design and I had to make sure that there was a reason for the choices made for EVERY SINGLE DETAIL, all the way down to how it meets Universal Accessibility Standards (Section 508). Sucks since I also have a job, and after all was said and done, I had no time to even maintain my guitar chops, and barely kept up with TF news. 60-70 hours per week wen't to school, add sleep each night, and work, left little free time at all. Needless to say, going like this for about 3 months caused me to go into a mental breakdown. All is good now! :) 

After all the finals were done, there was also Sophomore Review, when all the full-time faculty see your best work pinned up on a wall space of about 6 feet by 8 feet (usually there are a couple of poster presentations you'd want to redo). They give you a score out of 80 and "grade you" as if you were a professionally practicing Industrial Designer, not a student. Glad I got a 66/80, which is pretty damn good considering the high standards CCS sets for it's students.

7. ranoobu

ranoobu I like fried chicken

News Credits:
    you know what... I was going to make a thread like this today.... i swear.. but i didn't think I had anyone else to relate to...

ZOMG FINALS ARE FRIKKIN FRAKKIN OVER... STUPID CLASSES... I HATE YOU...

I tell myself this every year:

I MUST CHERISH THE TIME I HAVE NOW BEFORE NEXT SEMESTER....

8. RoboticPlanet

RoboticPlanet Exclusively Exclusive

News Credits:
    My finals aren't until mid June. :( 

9. Omnibus Prime

Omnibus Prime I'm too old for this shit TFW2005 Supporter

Completely the opposite for me. Seems like maybe half my undergrad classes had finals, while all but one of my grad school classes have had finals. What's more, my grad school finals thus far make most of those undergrad finals seem like a 6th grade math test by comparison.

I had a few undergrad classes where the final was optional. Do well enough on the three midterms and you could skip it, that sort of thing.

But..whatever. My last final was last Saturday. I've got another three weeks of nuthin' to enjoy before summer classes start.

10. BigPrime3000

BigPrime3000 Well-Known Member

I had 3 classes, 1 final this semester. However in my philosophy class I almost wish there had been a final as the entire grade consisted of only 4 written papers. Those were freaking stressful papers.

11. Dinobot Nuva

News Credits:
    All of my classes ARE college prep, OR actual college courses. Don't give me crap about appreciation, I know I gotta get this shit out of the way if I ever want to get into a good school and in turn get a good job, otherwise I end up like those Options kids who never plan on doing anything except working at Mikky D's for the rest of their lives.
    I appreciate it, especially the fact that its FREE, but that doesn't make it any less stressful or in some cases, utter crap (yay I've got a 102% in the class, oh shit my final brought it down?).
    DN

12. OmegaScourge

OmegaScourge Custom Made TFW2005 Supporter

i have finals every 3 weeks...lol

just had one today, it was the class buffet, and our group was responsible for the "Hawaii region" table.

and when it was all said and done, our group got the best score...and my final grade for the class as an "A"....sweet :D 

13. Lance Halberd

Lance Halberd oh hai

News Credits:
    Yeah, finals can be a pain in the butt. Count yourselves lucky if you never have to take comprehensive exams. The requirement for graduation at my college was to pass the the comprehensive exam for your major with a 77% or better. Finals test you on one semester worth of information. Comps test you on four years worth of information. My major had a national standardized test, so I got questions on courses not even taught at the college, which kinda sucked, but at least it wasn't oral exams like some of the other majors were forced to take.