The Fifth (and final) Hall Of Fame Nominee - DINOBOT

Discussion in 'Transformers News and Rumors' started by payton34, May 7, 2010.

1. Miggytron

Miggytron Slag Sucking Saurian

The people bitching and moaning about Dinobot's inclusion on the nominee list the loudest are probably scared that he'll win. LOL

OH NOES MY PRESYOOS GEEWUN

My vote's going for Soundwave but seriously some people need to chill out.

2. exclusacon

exclusacon Expert with the Scopes!

News Credits:

Yeah I watched and I enjoyed it....I'm saying is that it, I mean he died and came back and change again...I mean he died an honorably death, but other than the died hards, who else knows about him?

I mean people who don't follow tfs know who hot rod is...

I'm saying it has to be more than just code of honor?

3. Gilgamesh

Gilgamesh Mostly Harmless

News Credits:
    All awesome choices, only one Soundwave to rule them all.

4. Transfan2

Transfan2 TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Congrats Dinobot, you were one cool predacon and an interesting Maximal as well.

Good luck to you,
    -TF2 :) 

5. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    the thousands and thousands of people who watched beast wars as a kid.
    So? Hot Rod didnt get enough votes. and why does anyone outside the fandom matter for something done entirely within the fandom, like this hall of fame?

you wanna consider the people outside the fandom in this? okay. then take soundwave off the list, and replace him with "that guy who shot tapes".

6. exclusacon

News Credits:

Lol @ guy shot tapes

7. exclusacon

News Credits:
    I think hot rod didn't get votes becuz he got prime killed, so they say, but you can't find a dlx classics rodimus for a reasonable price anywhere...meanwhile dinobot still on hasbro for 10.99....

8. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    universe dinobot is much newer (by several years) than classics rodimus. that's the reason for that, I believe.

also, a lot of collectors went for the henkei one.

9. exclusacon

News Credits:
    Well the best bot wins!

10. DarthCrusher

DarthCrusher Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    They do? When I ask people about the G1 cartoon, the characters that usually spring to their minds are the current Hall of Fame members, Soundwave ('cause he was a tape player and had a cool voice), and MAYBE the Dinobots (if simply for the novelty of the fact that there were robot dinosaurs). People know and remember Hot Rod, by name even? Do they remember him fondly? And what about the non-Transformers fans who watched Beast Wars growing up and fondly remember it? Should their opinions be left out of this because they didn't see the original cartoon?

This isn't meant to spite you. I'm just honestly curious. Most non-Transformers fans' minds seem deeply entrenched in the first two seasons of the show when it comes to remembering characters, and Hot Rod, to them, wouldn't seem to show up as more than "That guy whose bungling got Optimus killed".

On another note, are you asking whether or not we think that Dinobot's code of honor is the primary reason why we think he should be a hall of fame-er? If so, I believe Dinobot to have had one of the most spot-on Transformer characterizations of all time. He certainly left a big impression with me after watching Beast Wars (as much of an impression as I can imagine Optimus Prime made on some of you who grew up with G1). He wasn't just a single personality trait that expressed clichéd emotion (I'm looking at you, 2/3 of the G1 cartoon's cast). He had his code of honor, bickered with Rattrap frequently over various issues (while actually forming a deep friendship), and, despite his current allegiance, thought like a Predacon when approaching problems, because he used to be one.

Besides all this, his death was, without a doubt, the most well-handled and emotional death in Transformers history (with the possible exception of Prime's death in the original movie, but that could very well depend on if you saw it when you were a kid. It certainly doesn't grab me as emotionally as I know it does for some of you).

Who says that the Hall of Fame has to be the characters that are most remembered by the children of the 80's? Why can't other generations of fans be allowed to induct a character who made as much of an impression on them as your childhood heros made on you?

EDIT- Wow, long post is long. Apologies if I'm bringing up stuff that was covered on the previous page.

11. Grimwing

Grimwing Scientist Supreme

News Credits:
    Just want to mention how much the article's picture makes Dinobot look like He-man.

[​IMG]

Dinobot has the power of Greyskull.

12. Anguirus

Anguirus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Dinobot was a lead character for a season and a half. He and Rattrap were important characters because they didn't blindly follow Optimus...they gave him an incredibly hard time, and each other an even harder time. This "conflict in the ranks" was a big change from G1 and helped make Beast Wars special. Dinobot also never renounced being a Predacon, so he had a very different perspective on most matters than the Maximals.

He went through significant character development. He first rebelled against Megatron because he found him weak and incompetent. Then he tried to take over the Maximals by force. OP saved his life when Megatron tracked them down again, and because of the respect fostered by that act, Dinobot grudgingly accepted a subordinate position. Over the course of the season, the other Maximals' attitudes gradually change from reluctant acceptance to open respect and admiration (except for Rattrap of course).

Then, Dinobot betrays them. In season 2 he realizes that the Transformers are indeed on Earth of the past. Megatron was right all along, and therefore neither weak nor incompetent. He betrays the Maximals, giving Megatron a Golden Disk with information about the future. He balks, however, when Megatron orders him to execute Rattrap. Being with the Maximals has changed him. He takes full responsibility for his mistake, and OP continues to let him serve, but he is never fully trusted again.

That's when "Code of Hero" happens. Megatron uses the Golden Disc to find the ancestors of humanity and assaults them with force. Dinobot's sacrifice allows humanity to exist.

Let's put it this way. Most popular Transformers are successful because they ape popular archetypes. Dinobot does this (he is a literate, dedicated warrior) while also going through a real and thematically appropriate character arc. This is the sort of thing that is virtually impossible to do with OP or Megatron, they are too popular for their own good.

Now, is Hot Rod Fame-worthy? Absolutely. In fact, in terms of significance story-wise and to the brand, he's certainly more deserving than Jazz IMO. But it's a popular vote to nominate, and the votes are in, so please stop whining before everyone hates you forever.

For what it's worth, Hot Rod was probably number 6, and I wouldn't be remotely surprised if he's nominated next year.

13. Gojira Prime

Gojira Prime Narf

Dinobot got in?

Hallelujah, Fuck yes, Amen, Rock on, Major props, Fo shizzle ma nizzle, Bang-On, That's the spot, You go girl, Righteous, Yo da man, You da bomb, etc etc.

I am so happy right now. This moment is Made of Badass. Just like Dinobot.

14. DarthCrusher

DarthCrusher Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Dude, you're right. Seriously, just slap a bowl-cut on the guy.

Dinobot: "By the power of Grayskull! Dinobot has spoken: my rigid grill structure..."

It is also pivotal to remember that He "lived like a warrior, ans died to a hero". :p 

15. capellamusic

capellamusic Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Excelent news, I'm really glad that Dinobot was nominated! I love this character. Now I'm a bit confused as I wanted Soundwave, but I'm divided between him and Dinobot. So, since Soundwave will probably get most votes I think I'm going to give mine to Dinobot instead. I'll be happy if either of them wins, but I must say that all nominated Transformers are excelent choices.

16. exclusacon

News Credits:
    Thank you for answering some questions I had...it good discussion and I'm learning more about dinobot.....prime death was very surprising a kid...I was surpise the killed him so early, but that another story....

17. exclusacon

News Credits:
    Nobody whining, just opinions like yours...

18. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    no, some people are very much whining. back when he was being voted on, and now.

19. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Dry built

News Credits:
    Sounds like someone's been reading the trivia section on his TFWiki page! :) 

20. exclusacon

News Credits:

I'm not whining, others maybe...just curious to see what the fuss about dinobot...I'm still on the fence about it but you guys put up some good points...