the female transfan screamer obsession stereotype

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Crazy Ramjetty, Aug 28, 2011.

?

how atractive do you find starscream? (remember to say which one)

1. OMG I LOVE HIM!!! I WANT TO HAVE HIS BABIES!!!!!

12 vote(s)
    16.2%
  2. he's so dreamy and romantic

5 vote(s)
    6.8%
  3. he's awesome

20 vote(s)
    27.0%
  4. he's okay

16 vote(s)
    21.6%
  5. I don't like him

6 vote(s)
    8.1%
  6. I hate his guts

7 vote(s)
    9.5%
  7. screw starscream I love knockout!

8 vote(s)
    10.8%
  1. Crazy Ramjetty

Crazy Ramjetty marvel's got it good

I feel it has become a stereotype that if you are a female transfan, you have a creepy crush on starscream. so I've set up this poll to see if that stereotype is true or not, remember to say which starscream, it can get a little confussing

2. Nachtsider

Nachtsider Banned

News Credits:
    Female transfans? Come now. They don't exist. :p 

3. Stormrunner

Stormrunner Cry for the Cat's Eye

He's awesome - But I think the only reason I like the one in Prime so much is the voice acting and the animation - and my husband is very skinny, so I think it all stems from there XD.

4. Lock Cade

Lock Cade Tarn Fangirl TFW2005 Supporter

I think Starscream's awesome, but there's only one Transformer that I absolutely love... BARRICADE!

5. Dinobot747

Dinobot747 Chopperface

News Credits:
    :lol 

6. Nevermore

Nevermore It's self-perpetuating a parahumanoidarianised!

News Credits:
  7. Autovolt 127

Autovolt 127 Get In The Titan, Prime!

News Credits:
    Okay i guess.

I'm more of a Megatron, Shockwave fan anyways,

8. Magnus' Mate

Magnus' Mate Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    One word which will explain where the stereotype came from and will explain everything:

Raksha.

For those of you involved in the fandom in the 1990s (15ish years ago), and were on the old alt.transformers newsgroups discussions will know exactly what I mean!

For those of you who don't recognise the name, go do some research now. The results are legendary and a little disturbing.

9. Greyley

Greyley Well-Known Member

I really hate this stereotype. :redface2:  I don't even understand where it came from, because almost every female fan I know has a different favorite TF. There's a ton of variety in character choice.

Personally, I think he's okay. Some versions are definitely better than others. Steve Blum's version in Prime is amazingly well done, probably the best written and acted iteration of the character so far.

Wasn't Soundwave her fave? I remember her liking Starscream, but not at anywhere near the level of Soundwave.

10. Cevel

Cevel Well-Known Member

I definitely understand the frustration there. My experience with other female TF fans has been basically the same as yours: Every one of them has a different favourite, just like the guy fans all have a different favourite.

I suppose the stereotype could come from the earlier days of the fandom when there weren't quite as many characters and continuities. Or maybe Starscream fangirls are just a very vocal minority?

Well, whatever the reason may be, it's certainly annoying. Nothing is more frustrating in this fandom as introducing yourself and being immediately written off as a brain-dead, drooling Starscream fangirl just because you're female.

Again, my thoughts are similar to yours. For me, Starscream hasn't been a very interesting character up until the most recent show. He has either been only good for a laugh (all G1 iterations) or completely annoying (Unicron Trilogy and TFA versions).

The Transformers: Prime version, on the other hand, has been an absolute treat to watch. This is the first time that I could ever count a Starscream as one of my favourite characters. I mean, a Starscream that has both absolutely hilarious moments and completely serious and sinister moments while also having good, valid reasons to overthrow Megatron? Wow! I never thought I'd see the day!

All that being said...I haven't voted in the poll because I don't think there's any choice that really coincides with my opinion.

11. Moonscream

Moonscream YES, We EXIST!

News Credits:
    And Megatron. What I've seen of her writing she wasn't all that fond of Starscream, tho she wasn't outright a hater, either. So the guys are a bit wrong here - Raksha set the bar for 'crazy fangirl' not 'crazy Starscream fangirl', as she's the one who scared David Kaye, IIRC, with her hatred of Beast Wars (particularly their portrayal of Megatron) and her willingness to defend G1 against all comers. Tho I think Raksha has been blown away by Bonita Prime.

I'm definitely a fan of G1 Screamer myself, tho he's not my only fave...which should be kind of obvious by my currently-in-hiatus comic. For a while there was a competition in my collection between Jazz, Thundercracker, and Starscream. Starscream is currently the leader, sheerly due to having the most toys.

--Moony

12. Cascadia

Cascadia Mt. St. Hilary

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Seriously? What is a Starscream fangirl stereotype? I despise the word sterotype. :redface2:  Starscream is a good character since Hasbro obtained the name. He has had some good moments and some not quite so good. There are versions of him that are much better written than other versions. People can like one version more than another version. Does this make them a crazy fan of Starscream? Are only females crazy about Starscream? I do not think so.

I like Starscream but he is not my absolutely fav....plain and simple.

13. Ecchokat

Ecchokat Ponyologiest for Hire!

Ebay:
    Starscream is a cool sexy bot but my heart belongs to SOUNDWAVE.

14. moreprimeland

moreprimeland Optimus told me to do it! Moderator

News Credits:
    Check the siggie, NO way am I a Starscream fangirl. :p 

He's a sad but funny con...which has a tendency to endear him to some wimmenz.

If I had to choose a Seeker, it would probably be Skywarp, he has some purple coloring!!

Last edited: Aug 29, 2011
  15. SMOG

SMOG Vocab-champion ArgueTitan

Maybe possibly some of it stems from the early anime-fangirl demographic crossover, and the fact that Starscream was for a long time the closest thing to bishy that Transformers had?

zmog

16. meirelle

meirelle Sea of Shelfwarmers

I'm not gonna lie; I want to have his robo-babies. :p 

I think my love of him stems from several things-- mainly, he's fairly intelligent and was a scientist in most incarnations, and he's so made of fail that it makes him kind of loldorable.

But he's definitely not my favorite-- my favorite is Thundercracker.

17. spiritprime

spiritprime Dudes, I'm a girl!

News Credits:
    I'm not an entire Starscream sterotype. I am not the type of person to be overly obsessed over a character. No siree.

18. Ceasar121

Ceasar121 Wants a Toxitron repaint!

News Credits:
    I think its a dumb stereotype... screamer is my fav because of his colors, attitude, and the fact that he's a plane. Plus I'm not female. Most female fans I've meant like Screamer (cuz the like bad boys and he's not pyscho evil like Megs), Bumblebee (cuz he's cute) or Optimus (Peter Cullens voice). But this femme Screamer obession is a lame stereotype that seems to have lil basis in reality... I believe it comes from Starscream haters to be honest.

19. Takeshi357

Takeshi357 "Research"

News Credits:
    I thought the whole "Starscream fangirls" started from Armada and then just sort of spread to the other continuities as well.

20. KnightHawkke

KnightHawkke Flynn Lives TFW2005 Supporter

*thinks this thread is a think veiled attempt to find out who the chicks are* :lol