The fate of tailgate

Discussion in 'Transformers Comics Discussion' started by CaptainZombieLL, Aug 28, 2017.

1. CaptainZombieLL

CaptainZombieLL Random Humongous Phaggot

If this is really how they leave Tailgate I'm gonna be pissed. His character definitely deserves more than being trapped in a hole for 6 million years.. again

2. dj_convoy II

dj_convoy II Remix!

News Credits:
    Seriously, do you truly believe that's the end of Tailgate's story?

• Like Like x 1
  3. Windsweeper II

Windsweeper II The Pristine

News Credits:
    It would be poetical.
    He started life in a hole and he ends it in one.
    I didn't feel Roberts was doing anything interesting with the character during season 2 so i don't mind.
    In fact the scene is one of the few in LL that reached the writing quality of season one.
    But he'll probable be back because he's one of Roberts's mainstays, just like SS, Bumblebee, Swindle, Megatron or OP will be in IDW forever while everyone else dies because Hasbro, IDW and their writers have no guts.
    I wouldn't mind if he brought him back though, because he is still an obscure character in comparison, but i hope he'll find better use for him if he does bring him back.

And i hope Roberts stops making up his own characters and start using obscure toy characters instead again, just like he did for the most part in season one.

Last edited: Aug 28, 2017
    • Like Like x 4
  4. rlmiddleton

rlmiddleton Swoopatron

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Instagram:
    I fear he will be back.

• Like Like x 3
  5. Spartan Prime

Spartan Prime is an apathetic douchebag

The before/after images only show enough time to have passed for flowers to grow- which would take, what? A month or two? I doubt he'll be under there for long after the time it takes for the LL crew to circle back to the planet to rescue him and kick Fangry's aft for his transgressions. As boring and unnecessary as Tailgate became, there's still more story in him than that.

• Like Like x 2
  6. Chopperface

Chopperface Holtzmanned

News Credits:
    As gut wrenching as it was to watch him pound the doors of his coffin screaming how he wants to get out, I don't want him to come back. I'm sure eventually we'll figure out what happened to him in 6 million years, via flash forward or something. But I don't want him to return to LL because that was such a stomach-churning way to go and was basically the death of a major character that will affect the new status quo. Something I'll give to Roberts is that lately major faces like Megs, Tailgate, Skids, Ravage have left us (we'll have to wait and see about Skids of course).

• Like Like x 3
  7. Focksbot

Focksbot Skeleton Detective

Put me in the "Don't want him back" gang.

He absolutely, certainly *will* be coming back, but I wish that issue had ended with an unambiguous death scene instead of, well, essentially, imprisonment.

• Like Like x 4
  8. CaptainZombieLL

Wow
    Theres a lot more people who dislike Tailgate than I expected

• Like Like x 1
  9. Spartan Prime

Spartan Prime is an apathetic douchebag

I don't think it's "dislike", necessarily. It's that he's run his course. He'll return. But by then, the story will have gotten on without him.

• Like Like x 2
  10. Windsweeper II

News Credits:
    No, i don't dislike him at all. I enjoyed him in season 1. But i didn't enjoy what Roberts did with him in season 2. He also became a little too much the token innocent.
    If he comes back i hope his personality will change a little.
    Alltough as i'm writing this i can find flaw with my reasoning.
    Maybe it's just a little overexposure.
    I'm sure if Roberts brings him back and finds something very cool to do with him and a few good rogueisch jokes like when UM was teaching him i'll love him again.

11. Chopperface

Chopperface Holtzmanned

News Credits:
    I don't dislike him. I love the little guy. I found his confession that he felt like a nobody since no one looked for him hence why he made all that crap up really heartwrenching and compelling. I was on the edge of my seat in #47 when Getaway's true intentions for him were revealed. I felt horrible when he pined for another movie night on his death bed and begged Cyclonus to kill him to spare him the painful death. I did want to see if he'd end up with Cyclonus. And like I said, it was stomach churning to see his last moments screaming he wanted to get out of his virtual coffin.

Which is why I don't want him to come back. Tailgate's "death" was one of the more powerful, upsetting moments of the series. I don't want it to be undone.

• Like Like x 2
  12. Focksbot

Focksbot Skeleton Detective

Again, I'm in a similar camp to those posting above me. I liked Tailgate - or, at the very least, found him a compelling character - all the way up to the fakeout Cyclonus death. But it feels like he's been stretched far beyond his natural character arc and his place in the story, and so any further time spent on him is time spent away from the many characters who still need development and panel time.

It's a variation on my major problem with Lost Light/latter day MTMTE - we've gone from characters with story arcs to a sitcom-like structure where fan favourites have to be kept around issue to issue despite having done their bit ages ago. And then even when Roberts drops them, it's only with a heavy implication that they'll return.

• Like Like x 1
  13. CaptainZombieLL

I think that if he does get out he'll probably be a lot less trusting and innocent, he'll probably want to kill Fangry for it

• Like Like x 1
  14. Windsweeper II

News Credits:
    He wanted to kill Fangry before he put him in there.

15. NexusPrime

NexusPrime The finder of Gears

I think it was good, apart from say Ravage and Skids during the dying of the light story it was good to do something that shook up the readers for Lost Light seeing that the Functionist Universe i read it as a side story that didnt really hold any stakes to the characters. I still remember the shiver of dread when I read it, not since Trailcutter's death have I felt such an interesting oh god I got to keep reading this!

16. Coffee

Coffee (╭☞ꗞᨓꗞ)╭☞

News Credits:
    He's pretty clearly dead. I feel the flowers and their correlation with death were enough of a symbol to confirm for us that yes, he does indeed die underground.

17. edgs2099

edgs2099 Optimistically realistic. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I liked him just fine, but his story is over.

18. Haywired

Haywired Hakunamatatacon

You need to know when to rotate your cast a bit so things don't become stale.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Pwsyn

Pwsyn Well-Known Member

I didn´t like Tailgate, but this...this was a horrible "dead".

Actually a brilliant idea. Super dramatic and shocking. One of the scenes, which are "hard to digest" (lol not sure, if this is the right engl. phrase), and honestly, it´s something I will never forget. But not even he deserved such a terrible end.

On the other hand, I also believe it´s not the last thing we heard about him. Unfortunately.

20. Nocturne

Nocturne Professional Ginger

News Credits:
    Well, no. You can like a character but still dislike their story. I was quite fond of Tailgate, still am, but I was getting frustrated with his character, particularly his drama-riddled relationship with Cyclonus. It wasn't enjoyable to read, so I'm glad Roberts took him out of the story. Will it be permanent? Only time will tell.

• Like Like x 4