The fandom and the 1986 movie - a masterpiece or "the end of G1 as we know it"?

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Nevermore, Jul 31, 2008.

1. Nevermore

Nevermore It's self-perpetuating a parahumanoidarianised!

News Credits:
    I've noticed that the 1986 movie is a double-edged sword in the eyes of a large portion of the Transformers fandom.

On the one hand, I've read a lot of posts by people who insist it's one great awesome masterpiece of storytelling, the ultimate piece of Transformers fiction ever, and what-have-you. Some people even think it's superior to the 2007 live action movie.

In fact, before the 2007 movie was released, I've read a lot of posts by people who insisted that the live action movie better follow the 1986 animated movie closely in terms of music, storytelling, plot etc., second only to the cartoon's original "More Than Meets the Eye" pilot.

On the other hand, however, I've also noticed a lot of posts by people who outright hate the G1 movie, hate how it killed off nearly the entire 1984 cast, hate Hot Rod, hate Wheelie, hate Ultra Magnus... mostly because They're Not 1984 Enough.

Of course, there's also those like me who think it's a cheesy animated toy advertisement like the G1 cartoon itself was.

However, the one huge twisted view I've noticed was between "It's the ultimate representation of everything that made G1 great" and "It ruined everything that had made G1 great in the first place".

So I've been wondering: How does everyone view the 1986 movie? Do you love it because it's G1 at it's best, do you hate it because it marked the point when G1 jumped the shark, are you undecided because you agree to both of the aforementioned views, ore are you mostly indifferent about it (like me)?

2. Pikatron

Pikatron Well-Known Member

I love it because it's G1 at its best.

3. Reflector Unit

Reflector Unit Cameracon

now that is a noodle scratcher...I guess I'll say I LIKE the movie, but at the same time, it DID kill what made me like Transformers in the first place. The music, the plot, the "epic" death of Optimus Prime, the great characters it introduced (excluding Wheelie and Scourge, I thought they were awful).

But, on the other hand, it killed alot of what made me like the series in the first place, ie, most of the original cast. Ironhide, Wheeljack, Starscream, Thundercracker, the Insecticons, all favorites, and then they just...died. And almost everyone who didn't die, or wasn't shown to have died at least, never made an appearance afterwards.

4. Lord Baharroth

Lord Baharroth I Cant Beleave He Ate It!

I Miss Starscream T.T ,yet i loved when prime died.....dose that make me a bad person? I mean come on.....the inept fighter jet was a priceless idea!

5. OldDirtyBot

OldDirtyBot ODB

For me, I don't think anything will ever top the 86 Movie. I enjoyed the live action and look forward to the next one and ofcourse the 3rd after it, since anything successful is turned into a trilogy these days. But the animated movie took Transformers to a new level of realism that has never been matched since.

I was 11 yo at the time though, so I was at the perfect age for endoctrination. :)  I don't sit through and watch the entire movie very often anymore, but the first 15 minutes and the last 15 minutes still hits me hard. Loosing so many beloved G1 characters is rough everytime I watch it, but it just shows how strong an impact they had on me.

6. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Dry built

News Credits:
    I'm indifferent. Hell, I just remembered now that there was an '84 movie.

Oh crap, I think I own the DVD re-release, too. I've learned so much today.

7. tikgnat

tikgnat Baweepgranaweepninnybong. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    I think it was a step too far. Granted, on its own its a great piece of animation, decent (for what it is) story but it represented too much of a change from seasons 1 and 2 that we had grown to love.

After the movie, presumably TV viewing dropped, the show got cancelled, and after that the comics couldn't sustain the line.

But through all this if the toys were great it could have recovered, so really the end was in sight with the movie toys... most of them are a class below the 84/85 stuff. Apart from the fact that the futuristic stuff was a massive departure from the easily relatable pre movie toys, the quality of them dipped and became gimmick intensive.

I don't think the gimmicks started off bad, Headmasters and Targetmasters were cool, but Powermasters? Dual Target Masters? Micromasters? Hell, dare I say it? Action Masters? It just seemed like Hasbro were stretching a bit.

So yeah, the movie marked the beginning of the end. But for the time it was a masterpiece, but I can only say that in hindsight.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2008
  8. Max-prime

Max-prime Supreme-Commander

News Credits:
    I think it was a pretty good move I mean the story has to be able to move past the '84 bots at some point I think the biggest gripe is the out right straight deaths of the org. bot and cons. However had they incorporated most of 84 into 86 I think there would be a lot less griping plus the story would have flowed a little better once season three kicked off. Most of the characters where ok but thinking of the stories that could have been with a Prime and Magus Led group of bots against a Megs and Galvatron con squad would have been intresting.

9. Gingerchris

Gingerchris Telly-headed Tyrant

News Credits:
    I rather enjoy it. I think I've watched it more times than any other movie - I remember watching it once a day, every day, for weeks after it first came out on VHS. I went to see it twice in the cinema too. Now I'll throw it in every couple of months or so, for old time's sake.
    I'm not going to say it's the best TF ever, as I reckon MTMTE wins that in terms of G1, but it has nice animation and fun dodgy music and songs.
    Unfortunately it gave us Quintessons, which were okay for the movie, but took too much away from the Decepticons as villains in the third season, a season which also gave us other crap alien species to dilute the TF war further. So I blame the 1986 movie for bringing a lot of spacey stuff into things.
    And can anyone ever forgive the movie for knocking off all those cool characters for Hotrod and co to take over? And giving us Wheelie and Daniel?
    Definitely I prefer it over the 2007 movie because it has hardly any human stuff in it to get in the way of my roboty fun. It doesn't try to cram in a teen love story or dreadfully bad humour. Not intending to turn this post into a hate on Bay's version - just giving why I prefer the '86 one to that attempt.

So, not the best movie ever, but certainly not as bad as some would paint it when they go into full mode of ripping G1 stuff down.

10. Mixmaster

Mixmaster logh ghot SIS yoD TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    That's pretty much me also. I really have no fondness for the cartoon, and by extension the '86 movie, but I'd never say I hate them. I went to see the '86 movie at the cinema at the time, I remember it having very little impact on me. This was possibly because I was more into the Marvel comics.

11. kllrwlf

kllrwlf Well-Known Member

My thoughts are exactly the same.

12. Takara_destron

Takara_destron Mainly lurking these days

Ebay:
    I enjoyed it, its most of what came after it then I didn't.

13. Cungitron

Cungitron Destroyer of Worlds

News Credits:
    I loved it when i saw it for the first time at age 7 and i still love it now.
    Primes death still brings a tear to my eye

14. Greyryder

Greyryder Kitbashed

Good animation quality, and voice acting. Beyond that, it sucks.

Who the f*** are these new guys? Galva-what? What do you mean Prime dies from a hole in his side, but Ultra Magnus survives getting ripped apart? The obnoxious new guy, that got Prime killed is the new leader? Who's writing this crap?

15. swarlock

swarlock Autobot Supporter

It is a double edgerd sword as far the movie is concerned.

Speaking only for myself. It was a way to introduce new characters into the toyline BUT it unfortunately created a problem at the same time because it took the show into a darker terrority that has since split the fandom in half.

I don't know about anyone else but I felt the writers went overboard trying to make it less kiddie friendly and too mature. For Hasbro it was just an excuse to put out more product at the wrong time.

That's the trouble with having a successful franchise like this. Sometiumes having that much success can lead to terrible consequences at the end of it all.

16. silentdarth

silentdarth Josie's Daddy

Ebay:
    As an eternal G1 fanboy, I feel that it is great for what it was at the time. An epic cartoon movie that was both an ending and a beginning. The issues I have with it are that it tried to be both kid friendly, and older kid/adult accessible. They killed some real faves and ended up bringing one back. After 2 long seasons, they had to try something else, I understand, but at least they ended with Rodimus,Magnus, etc instead of starting with them. If they had, I think the cartoon would have failed miserably. Just my opinion.

17. diablien

diablien Banned

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    It's the best movie ever.

18. OptimusSolo

OptimusSolo Tournament Master

News Credits:
    Three things concerning the movie.

#1 It was incredibly awesome to get to go to the theatre for my birthday party with my friends and watch a cartoon we all loved on the big screen.

#2 It was AWESOME that for the first time in my life I actually got to see a cartoon character die. I know that seems morbid but you can only watch Tom chase Jerry so many times before you just want to see him catch him and .....(although the movie does drag along pretty slowly in a few minor spots)

#3 IN MY OPINION - I believe it wasn't necessarily killing off ALL of the cast from G1 that led to a vast majority of transformers fans to lose interest for a while. (I myself cant seem to remember many post movie episodes but can remember a ton of pre-movie eps) It was WHO they chose to kill off.

Either they needed to leave Optimus Prime alive so that kids would tune in to see him and gradually learn to love 'new' bots

OR

They needed to leave a few core characters alive (maybe wheeljack and prowl) to give the kids enough reason to keep tuning in. I know this was all about introducing new toys etc. but they messed up by killing all the favorites off and not making sure the fandom kept watching as fervently as they had been up to that point. It would have been just as effective and maybe produced better results post movie had they killed, say, Cliffjumper, Mirage, or some other characters instead of Wheeljack, Prowl, maybe even ironhide...

Again that is just my opinion but I belive the movie was awesome, it just messed up in who it decided to kill and who it decided to let live.

19. Gingerchris

Gingerchris Telly-headed Tyrant

News Credits:
    Jazz and Bumblebee survived. :) 

It's almost like they said 'Forget the old fans. Get rid of the characters they love and bring in this whole new lot so we can try and ensnare new fans'.

20. OptimusSolo

OptimusSolo Tournament Master

News Credits:
    Agreed - Like most things, it would have been better for them to gradually change over the characters instead of doing it all at once.

(I actually think that Prowl and Wheeljack may have been able to carry the cartoon better than Jazz and Bumblebee even though that probably will be argued against by most)