The Evolution Of Your Collection

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by bny888, Jun 13, 2012.

1. bny888

bny888 バグバイト

News Credits:
    Just curious to know how your collections have evolved through the years. :) 

My collection started with movieverse Legends in 2009, getting an ROTF Legends Bumblebee soon after watching the movie. Then I wanted to complete all Legends/EZ, not just the movie-themed ones. But I realized I was buying figures of characters that I didn't really care about just for the sake of completion.

By late 2009 I decided to sell most of my collection and focus mainly on Bumblebee who is my favorite character. I started collecting figures of him from different lines including non-transforming stuff and even non-toy ones like statues. Then early this year I got hooked on Mini-bots (being inspired by the articles of Maz and the collection of Martin "Fighbird" Lund, which I first saw in 2010 in the NTFA fora), not just Bumblebee but all the other characters.

I also lost most of my affection for movieverse stuff except for some of my favorites. I'm still contemplating on selling most of my movieverse stuff or just retaining the ones I have and not adding anymore to them.

My future plans include completing the Hasbro Mini-bots (The Takara ones would include Microchange so I'm not really that hopeful I can complete them). Then try to get some if not all of the Antex/IGA/Estrela ones. Lynsa and Rubiplas might just be dreams for me, hehe. I also plan to get some G1 figures of my favorite characters like Soundwave (including the cassettes), Optimus Prime, Megatron, etc.

2. Seeker

Seeker Time Lord

Ebay:
    It has evolved from a small collection of G1 TFs to a G1 based collection of Classics/Generations with a few other lines thrown in. The future is now, I've been scaling back collecting on all fronts and I will be very picky about my TF purchases. The new deluxe sizes and prices are a indicator too.

3. AnAutobot1985

AnAutobot1985 Well-Known Member

My collection has more than doubled in the past year. And it has gone from buying random G1s and G1 based (MP Skywarp) that were at a "reasonable" price. I started looking further into the deluxes, encores, MPs, and so forth. I never once thought I would spend 100 on one figure. Now that has happened quite a few times. It has turned into quite a collection full of what I consider to be the best G1 based (and now Prime line as well) figures I come across (given they aren't in the multiple hundreds). Almost everything in my collection wows me in its own unique way. If it doesn't, out it goes to make room for the many more to come. I see no signs of slowing down collecting anytime soon. Too much available that is just AWESOME! Now MP Skywarp has 20th Optimus, MP Rodimus, MP Grimlock, MP Unicron to keep him company. I went from just having Starscream to having almost all deluxe seekers minus Acid Storm and Ramjet. Now instead of the G2 based green Megatron tank deluxe from the Optimus Megatron 2 pack being my best Megatron, I have United, and TF Collection reissue. And it goes on and on and on and on. :crazy: 

4. TrueNomadSkies

TrueNomadSkies Airachnid's ratservant

News Credits:
    Wave 1 - Enter the G1 & G2 toys. This was likely spawned by the comics & movie, and of course because I've always been into cars & things. Many of em came from my Grandma (G2 Slag & Scorch, etc), others from my parents (G2 Sideswipe & Ramjet, etc), and a few like Flywheels & Rodimus came through garage sales & my otherwise own means.

Wave 2 - Rise of the Beasties. This was mostly spawned by the fact that it was a Mainframe Entertainment show, aka the people who did Reboot. Dinobot was my first, Optimus & Megatron followed, (basic & Ultra class components). Then toward the tail end I got Depth Charge & Quickstrike, both of which I was paranoid about ruining, so they never went into boxes with the rest when my hobby focus went more into Yugioh.

Wave 3 - Tease of the randoms. This one arguably doesn't count because it never lead to me buying anything, but I remember finding about the SDCC Nemesis Prime, thinking I could find it at Wal-Mart, not finding it at Wal-Mart, and then forgetting about it soon after. However, I'm counting it because it kinda marked the start of this shit not fully going away.

Wave 4 - Revival of the hobby. Credit to this one should probably go to ROTF Sideswipe, as his alt mode is what got me to start googling shit in the first place. I wanted to know more about the Stingray concept & possibly buy a car to display, came across the fact that the robot mode looked cool as hell, and began my search for either the HA or ROTF deluxe. Since none of this stuff was available locally, I took to the internet, which also got me thinkin' I should look for some of the BW stuff I could never find locally as a kid like TM Tarantulas. I bought em off Dr. Prime, nabbed a Hubcap from TRU, and foolishly thought I'd be done after this...

Wave 5 - Enter the future. For me, this kinda marks TFs becoming a full on hobby of mine, as not only have I kept buying this shit, but I also keep up with it more than I do with Yugioh at this point, at least in terms of new releases & where I tend to spend my money. I still keep up with the game for the sake of my website & local store, and otherwise being the go-to guy for anything mechanical about it (again, mostly for reasons involving my site & locals), but Transformers are generally where my money go to, and my room is more than a reflection of that now hah.

5. Powersa

Powersa Car Robots

News Credits:
    I'm buying more Optimus figures, transforming or not.

6. LordShockwave

LordShockwave Harold of Power.

News Credits:
    My collection has cuadrupaled in the last 2 years. I'm not even kidding. I remember when I started collecting Transformers Cybertron toys as a kid and i took a picture of like the 14 I had and I thought it was a HUGE collection (little did I know there was an actual transformers collectiong hobbie as I was a kid). I got more and more into it over the years with earning more and more allowance each week allowed me to get more and more transformers. So...7-8 years later i went from having 14 transformers to haveing over 300:)  I love collecting

7. TrueNomadSkies

News Credits:
    Well, I think I still had under 90 when I last counted (not including Micromasters, minicons, PCC drones etc), but considering that its at least doubled in the last year (not to mention that most of my larger toys have come recently), I can still blame the shit outa TFW for my progression. :D 

8. Hyperoptic

Hyperoptic G1-Junkie

News Credits:
    Cool thread!

In chronological order:
    • Started by buying a MIB G1 Optimus Prime in 2007
    • Then went on to completing G1 1984-1986
    • Took a break for a few months
    • Then added G1 1987
    • Quit G1 and started Classics and Animated
    • Added Masterpiece
    • Decided to complete Binaltechs and Alternators that were not available as BTs.
    • Started G1 again and completed 1988-1990 (All US releases)
    • Quit G1 again and focused on Classics and started on 3rd party stuff.
    • Slowly started on G1.5 Euro Exclusives and G2
    • Went complete on Animated Deluxe or bigger.
    • Trimmed down Classics in order to have a focus on 1984-1986 G1 representations
    • Completed G1.5 Euro Exclusives
    • Started G1 Japanese Exclusives
    • Completed G2
    • Completed G1 Japanese Exclusives
    • Now I just collect Classics and 3rd Party (1984-1986 G1 representations) & whatever Masterpiece comes out

Last edited: Jun 13, 2012
  9. Superquad7

Superquad7 We're only human. Super Mod

News Credits:
    I started with G1 as a kid; re-entered the hobby via G1 just before Beast Machines; started buying retail stuff mainly with RiD and continued until now; come full circle to complete my G1 collection.

10. Bountyan

Bountyan Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Mostly movie stuff, then a mix of movie/henkei/universe/animated, then some random stuff from older lines, now it's a lot more classics and 3rd party oriented along with some Prime stuff.

11. seali_me

seali_me Well-Known Member

Late 2007 - 2008: Alternators/Binaltech, Masterpiece and some classics
    2008 - 2009: Optimus Primes and started buying doubles
    2009 - 2010: Animated and Bayformers,
    2010 - 2011: War for Cybertron
    2011 - 2012: Prime. Depending how it goes, maybe turd party

Late 2007. I hunted down almost every single Alternator/Binaltech and within months I had almost every character. The Masterpiece was to compliment it. I bought some classics but the appeal of them somewhat died out pretty quickly.

Back in Early 2008, I almost got rid of my classics. They're cheaper looking children's toys unlike Alternators/Binaltech and Masterpiece. I think seeing Classics Hound and Ravage just gave me a glimpse of something bigger for this line or my hope for diecast Transformers with realistic alt modes faded away. I added Optimus Primes just as I discovered dry spells within this hobby. Buying multiples added to my kitbash fodder and also somewhat helped like buying Optimus Primes.

I stumbled into Animated after watching the entire series and buying voyager Prime. I came late to the party but got everything I wanted. This also taught me that no matter how late you are you will find these children toys on the liquidation aisles. ROTF got me into leader class and HA. I tried deluxes but were too fugly for my taste.

War for Cybertron. Pre-G1 or the G1 for this generation. A videogame based toys. A first in TF industry. This would certainly be one of the biggest things that have touched the hobby. I saw it going really far like classics. I wanted in.

Prime toys reminded of Animated and Bayformers. It didn't have the appeal of Animated but had just enough of it to poke my curiousity. Nothing really big to say about these toys really.

I tried turd party toys yet again. I dipped even further in my budget to get it. I couldn't let magnificient and modern combiners like this slip away from me.

12. brr-icy

brr-icy G1 Collector

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    86 my brother gave me prowl, and took me to see the movie, got hooked,collected straight until 96 when my collection got sold

2005 bough an incomplete trailbreaker because it was the only g1 car mold i didn't have when i was young, and "i wanted to see how it worked"

2006 bought alt ricochet and mp prime, started collecting alts

2007 ran out of alts to buy, was buying g1, and finally picked up the classics line from shelves

2008 after buying anything and everything, cut out movie figures, stuck to some g1, mps, alts, wst, animated, and classics, sold the bulk of my g1 collection as "I don't really need these when i have classics" sales

2010-present, starting to rebuild the g1s

13. opt1musaber

opt1musaber Victory Saber's Recruit

News Credits:
    Started G1 but now it's a mix of everything, basically whatever looks cool to me.

14. kraven

kraven Decepticon

Oh man... Dont tempt me to tell my story. As I am a story teller and would end up writing a novel of a post that no one would read rendering it all for not. So Ill just say it started out small, then it was HUGE, and now its quite a bit smaller but still large.

15. bny888

bny888 バグバイト

News Credits:
    Would love to read your story as I did what the others have posted so far. :) 

16. 3.8TransAM

3.8TransAM 1989 Turbo Trans AM

Well, the bulk of my collection is my original toys from 84-91/92 when G1 died, I kept buying until G2(held all of them in my hands at the store though, just never dove into it).

Found they were reissuing Predaking around the same time I discovered the TRU reissues and that about sums it up. All went to hell hit 05 Botcon since I'm 45 min away and been buying ever since.

I have a decent Universe/RTS/whateverthehellitscalledthisweek collection as well now, but don't really hunt them down for the 1.0 and 2.0 I missed. Masterpiece is well represented now as well, though I shy towards US releases due to cost involved nowadays. I am 90% US G1 only collector and intend to get towards the Japanese G1 as well(I pick them up if I find smoking deals only).

Got my own room with one huge display case and 3 Billy's with doors waiting to be assembled.

17. Noideaforaname

Noideaforaname Pico, let's go up to Zuma

News Credits:
    I started with the '07 Movie, specifically just the on-screen Decepticons with some sense of scale (i.e. Legends Barricade, Deluxe Brawl/Bonecrusher, Voyager Blackout/Starscream), thinking that'd be enough. Found myself wanting more and got some of the off-screen guys. Then RotF, NEST, HftD, PCC, Generations, and DotM happened; somewhere along the way I loosened on my scale "rule", which opened a heck of a lot more toys to me, though I kept to a certain aesthetic (realistic alts, non-blocky/anime bots). Then I rediscovered Beast Wars. And then Prime. And soon FoC.

It's kinda funny now, I've got a fledgling Prime collection, just the on-screen Decepticons with some sense of scale, thinking that'd be enough.

18. Deceptichage

Deceptichage Decepticon Land Pirate

News Credits:
    I started of with KOs way back in the early days of my collection. It's since grown into quite a large collection with a lot of it now in storage. It's been great collecting and look forward to more great years!

Pic 1 - (2002) Started minimally way back when RID was airing and I bought a few KOs from eBay.

Pic 2 - A year or so later (2003). Picked up more KOs. Got some WST, and started buying some Transformers at retail.

Pic 3 - (2006) Started getting more involved with Transformers. I had collected most Energon and Cybertron (not shown) and jumped in on Alternators.

Pic 4 - (2007) Transformers explosion! I am at the point where I don't have much room left for anything.

Attached Files:

19. TrueNomadSkies

News Credits:
    Great thread is great, and the timing couldn't be better couse I just spent the day taking a bunch of pics that I'll be going through & updating my gallery with in the next couple of days.

20. CZ Hazard

CZ Hazard Sons of Unicron PTT

News Credits:
    I guess I would have to section my collecting days, but it's hard to spot where the splits come.

I started collecting as a kid, same as most but I was careful with weapons, didn't bash the toys about and kept the boxes. My main focus as a wee nipper was picking up one or two figures a year and reading my brothers Transformers comics, this is where Transformers began for me. I enjoyed the cartoon for the voices and SFX but hated the story even at a young age, preferring the "gritty" Furmanisms of UK comics.
    Then at about 12-15 I started buying collections from the kids at school. My initial focus was to complete the cast of the movie.
    Age 16 - Meet Paul Hitchens from Spacebridge, buy Omega Suprme, Trypticon and Dreadwind / Darkwing. He shows me all the diaclone toys and Japanese exclusives that - in those early internet days - I had no idea existed.
    17 - Bam! Beast Wars! What the hell?
    19 - Fortress Maximus. My G1 collection has a centrepiece.
    22 - Armada, it seems silly now, but I was stoked to find Transforming vehicles in stores in the UK, RID had felt more like a side-line, but with the Dreamwave comics, a new cartoon and a plethora of mini-cons my collecting was going well. The following years were spent buying too much of anything, including MPs, BTs, RID, BW, BM, G1, G2, Universe etc... During this time I completed my 1986 movie collection.
    26- Classics. This was the real focus I'd been looking for, after a floundering start this became the second biggest focus of my collection.
    28-29 - The Animated Toys and Show, probably the peak of Transfomers for me, as I make some great friends and even get to visit Cartoon Network in the US. Personal reasons mean I move away and leave my Transformers behind, I take only my MP's and BTs with me, soon grabbing my Classics as well and collecting almost begins afresh.
    30 - My first Botcon was in 2009, this was also my first Auto Assembly as a dealer. This two events meant for the first time in a decade my focus was back on G1, and AA gave me the opportunity to off-load duplicates and unwanted figures.
    31 - Finally finish my 1984-1986 collection by snagging a beautiful Roadbuster complete at Botcon 2010, this was a huge priority for me. Downsizing begins, I start flushing the Beast Machines, TFCC exclusive, obscure Universe repaints, Japanese Superlink and Micron Legend from my collection. Even going so far as to sell my 2008 Botcon box set and my Shattered Glass figures.
    32 - I move back to my old area and finally get my two Transformers collections together, it has grown phenomenally over the wanderlust years. My collection is split between G1 and Classic, with dedicated display space for G2, Animated, Beast Wars and a smattering of unicron toys that I liked enough to keep.
    Note: 2007-2011 - what movies? They don't do much for me as movies or a toyline, although I do fully appreciate what they did for the Transformers brand, and the huge experience it turned Botcon into. Transformers is now such an iconic worldwide brand, no one person has to like all of the franchise, there is enough interesting variety and disparity between shows for every collector or fan to find something he / she loves. That's pretty damn good growth for any brand.