The Event

Discussion in 'Movies and Television' started by Ratchet2007, Oct 1, 2010.

1. Ratchet2007

Ratchet2007 Neither Here Nor There

News Credits:
    Anybody been watching this ? I've watched the first 2 episodes and there's lots to be pondered at.

2. Joe Moore

Joe Moore Is Not Jim... Administrator

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    I've watched the first two episodes and I've been bored to tears. If this next episode doesn't wow me, then I'm done with the series. The show is ripping off the ideas of so many other series. The narrative so far is atrocious and the story riddled with enough cliches and early plot holes that it borders on being unwatchable. It tries to mimic Lost's story telling, but takes it too a ridiculous extreme where ever 5th or 6th minute shifts to a different time period. However, it has the same problem Heroes ran into; Relatively bland episodes with a reliance on a big hook at the end.

The only thing saving this so far is some strong performances by a few of the leads. Namely Jason Ritter and Ian Anthony Dale. Other than that, I have yet to see why the media is touting this as anything special.

3. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Good to hear some opinions on it. I keep seeing promos and getting more and more interested, but I hadn't heard anyone talk about it yet.

My favorite new show so far is No Ordinary Family :D 

4. Primus

Primus Beware, the modelers. Veteran

News Credits:
    I've been watching this. I'm not willing to sign off on it one way or another. I have some views on where they could go with the story and I'm interested in finding out if they are correct. Something big is supposed to "reset" the story after the sixth episode so new viewers can join in so I will give it at least until the seventh ep.

5. MegaPrime33

MegaPrime33 Follow me @NerdActivist TFW2005 Supporter

I tried to watch it but like Joe, I too was bored. I just don't care about the characters at all. One of them is kidnapped, and I don't care. I didn't even bother watching all of the episode this past Monday. I had high hopes but oh well. It's not like I don't have enough to watch anyway.

6. Ratchet2007

Ratchet2007 Neither Here Nor There

News Credits:
    I'm on the opposite end of the stick, with Heroes, Lost & FlashForward done and V not back till November I'm kinda in a "don't know what to watch situation." I saw this being advertised on Channel 4 and thought I may aswell.

7. Insane Galvatron

Insane Galvatron is not insane. Really!

News Credits:
    Is it the best show ever? No. Is it better than Heroes season 1? No. Is it interesting? Yes. Does it have me wondering what's gonna happen and having me tune in every week? YES. I'm enjoying it.

8. Josh

Josh Comic Color-guy

News Credits:
    I'm digging it :) 

9. Mighty.Maximal

Mighty.Maximal Banned

So what are they hinting at then :

1) Aliens
    2) Time Travel
    3) Non Human intellegence sometimes known as a "A Singularity Event".

I'm in the they are AI's from the future theory camp at the moment.

As it fits the facts - but then so does Aliens.. But the way that the people are scanning as nearly human and are very good with Computers makes me suspicious.
    It would doubly funny if the hero is the father of AI or something like that.

There's obviously more than 2 factions at work here too.

But yes it's interesting enough to see where it goes and I find it more watchable that Flash Forward which I was soon bored by the people personal lives... But I still might check it out on DVD sometime.

It's more realistic and not as camp as New V either.

10. ChldsPlay

ChldsPlay Well-Known Member

Heh, I got a letter from NBC Universal because I got an episode of this via bittorrent. I missed the 3rd episode (thanks directv for not having your guide accurate) and went and got it.

I was tempted to reply to the letter with something like, "I'm sorry, I guess I'll just stop watching your stupid show then."

Movies I can understand, but a show they broadcast twice a week and have available on their website? It's just stupid.

11. moreprimeland

moreprimeland Optimus told me to do it! Moderator TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    This show hasn't gotten much love.. and I'm bringing back the same thread because it's the same topic.

IS ANYBODY watching The Event??? The 2 hr new season is starting tonite on NBC from 7-9 pm CST.

Just wondered if folks have given up on this show and just don't care, I have to admit I find it a little boring and tiresome to watch.

Figured since they discovered "aliens" were involved it might be more interesting

Last edited: Mar 8, 2011
  12. AutoBobby

AutoBobby The Collector

If I had known that it involved aliens,I probably would've given it more of a chance.I just figured it's on NBC,so it's gonna get cancelled anyway.

13. Insane Galvatron

Insane Galvatron is not insane. Really!

News Credits:
    I missed a couple episodes in the first season, then tuned back in and had no idea what was going on. Stopped watching after that. I had actually forgotten about the show until this thread popped back up.

14. moreprimeland

moreprimeland Optimus told me to do it! Moderator TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Yeah, me too, but was catching up on Primetime Free On Demand.... so I had a chance to catch up..but I must admit I lost interest again with tonight's episode.
    Like you said, I thought it was canceled..maybe it should be :popcorn 

15. RebelMan

RebelMan Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    i have a feeling this may end up the "Buffy", "Angel", & "Jerhico" continued in comic-form after they were canceled when they couldn't find another network/forum to continue their story/give some closure to fans.

16. ChldsPlay

ChldsPlay Well-Known Member

I thought the show started off rather weak, but has been fairly good since (with the exception of a few characters - The actress that plays Sofia has always grated on my nerves).

17. Starscreamownz

Starscreamownz Air Commander

News Credits:
    The show isn't "bad".... but it just is way too boring half the time. All I know is that
    the aliens want to take over the planet and replace man and plan to do so with the Spanish flu which they're immune to, using the vice president's dedication to the country to remove the president who is a threat.

Condensed it sounds really good but they just stretch it out to the point where whole episodes bore the shit out of me and i end up flipping to something else.

18. RebelMan

News Credits:
    [​IMG]

19. RebelMan

News Credits: