The ending for DOTM wasn't more abrupt than ROTF

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by darthrage, Jul 14, 2011.

1. darthrage

darthrage Leader Class

News Credits:
    I was watching ROTF again and then at the end of the movie, I just realized it ended just as abrupt as DOTM.

I haven't seen ROTF in a while but when you really compare the two:

In DOTM, after Sentinel Prime is wasted, Shia kisses Carly, BB drops some rings and then Optimus does his monologue and then Linkin Park.

For ROTF, Prime defeats The Fallen, he appears next to the sphinx, Sam kisses Mikaela. Sam and Optimus appear on an aircraft carrier, Optimus does his dialogue and then Linkin Park.

They're identical.

Never once either of those 2 movies do they talk about the aftermath of the battle unlike the first one which gives you some sort of closure because you got Autobots calling reinforcements, the secretary of defense addressing the nation, megatron and dead decepticons being dropped into the ocean and starscream flying off and then Optimus's monologue.

So I'm not all that dissappointed about the way DOTM ended. We all know how we would've loved to see some sorta cliffhanger like glowing eyes or unicron in the space or whatever but the fact is that there wasn't more to discuss. The battle is over so roll credits.

Same goes for ROTF, I don't remember people complaining so much about the way that ROTF ended.

2. Trypticon 2010

Trypticon 2010 Well-Known Member

I think it was more of an issue in DOTM because everyone knew it would be the last film (for Bay and Shia at least). As it's sort of a trilogy at the moment, a longer and more complete ending would have been nice. What happened to Cybertron? What happened to the Decepticons?

The novel managed to give a good ending, so why couldn't the film? Just a few mins of the job hunting and office scenes cut out would have allowed for more time for the ending.

But I do agree that ROTF ended just as abruptly, but it's less of an issue because it's the second film.

3. Starscreamer69

Starscreamer69 Well-Known Member

Spot on, Trypticon.

The complaints about keeping the comic/novel ending aren't just because some (myself included) think it's better, it's because it was a more satisfying, more rounded and conclusive ending to the one in which we got. I'm sure the complaints about the ending being different wouldn't be as numerous if the movies 'alternate' ending had given more closure, and the feeling of not just one chapter closing (the movie), but the entire chapter (the trilogy) finishing up.

4. Megabattimus

Megabattimus Reborn Comics Fan

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    This.

And this. The film lacked closure.

5. Digilaut

Digilaut My name is Drift.

News Credits:
    I think DOTM's ending is long enough, shows some nice after-battle scenes, but I just felt Prime's speech was cut halfway through or something. Just didn't feel right.

I do not know what his speech is in the novel or comic book.

6. Jazz1979

Jazz1979 Well-Known Member

ending of ROTF was short and quite abrupt while the ending of TF1 was just perfect.
    The ending of DOTM was however really bad.
    It felt like..."oh we are running out of budget or we don't want to film it anymore"!

7. Aernaroth

Aernaroth <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and Veteran

News Credits:
    All three films lacked significant denouement, it was pretty much just "climax is over, time for a speech and then the credits".

I think it's just another of those issues with the storytelling they were never able to completely fix across the trilogy.