The end of Transformers

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Jetfireinthesky, Jul 21, 2007.

1. Jetfireinthesky

Jetfireinthesky Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    With all the talk about the last Harry Potter book and also thoughts that DC's Final Crisis might be DC's way of ending the DC Universe, it's got me thinking what if Hasbro were to suddenly decide that they wanted to have one last Transformers series to be the definitve end to the Transformers mythos? Like no more cartoon, comics, or toys after that series.

Hasbro annouces that the next incarnation of Transformers is the cap off to the Transformers mythos. They tie the cartoon, comic line, and figures to this one series. Something like... I don't know...a Crisis on Infinite Cybertrons or something (something pull-out-all-the-stops amazing good that has us eagerly awaiting for the last 3 parter and last issue finale and wanting to be completionists with the figure line). And at the end of the 50 episode cartoon, 12-ish issue maxi-series comic, and 4 wave figure line that's it. No more Transformers.

I know that this isn't happening anytime soon or anything like that. And I know it already "ended" in the late 80s. Just what if our situation were like that of the Potter fans or DC fans if Final Crisis is the last thing DC does? What would you do in the aftermath of it? Would you go back and get figures you missed out on or just cut off your collection at what you had? Would you still visit the boards to discuss about Transformers past or still do fan-art/fiction? Or whatever else? What would you do if Transformers ended?

2. Basketball Jones

Basketball Jones Decepticon

I'd still purchase G1 figures I lacked, and wait for more Transformers to be released.

Why would Hasbro stop selling a crucial brand?

3. UnicronHound

UnicronHound Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    It's just a hypothetical question, like if Hasbro was force into cutting of their brand sbecause of filing for chapter 11 or some crap like that. For me it would depend. if there was a slight chance that the Transfandom would be resurrected in a couple years after teh death I'd focus on finishing off my collection. also a side note for the harry Potter comment, JKR(HP's author) says that she may not have book seven as the final thing for HP fans, that she may or may not make a book later on down the road to show what's happen to her wizarding world.

4. ckhtiger

ckhtiger old skool fool

man, that would make me so happy. as much as I love the toys, the show, the fandom, it honestly consumes a fair amount of my time, as a "hobby." I spend probably two thirds of my time on-line on this site, and while I don't get carried away, it'd be nice to just have it kind of fall by the wayside.

a lot of this has to do with so many character types/designs getting reused over and over again, esp with the a/e/c prime, hot shot, red alert, jetfire guys. how many different versions of the same guy do we need? that's what really was getting to me. well, that and the repetitive homages and continuous milking of g1 characters/designs in new lines (alternators and classics, I'm looking at you). those are my two favorite lines, don't get me wrong, but in the back of my mind, I'm like, ok, this is my 40th prime, 5th hot rod, 10th starscream, etc.

5. AutoCon2076

AutoCon2076 Brightest can in toolshed

Not having new toys or new episodes would be upsetting. However, there are still plenty of Transformers toys and episodes in the world that I haven't seen. Since there would be no new ones coming out I focus on the old ones.

~Z

6. lars573

lars573 Well-Known Member

If it tanked as a franchise. I'm talking 2-3 toy lines that bomb. Where the whole line peg/shelf warms. It's not impossible. Given what I've been told happened with G2 they could have just washed their hands then and been done with it. However, look at one of Hasbro's other main toy lines, GI Joe. It's been around in various forms for 43 years. What I'm saying is Hasbro doesn't give up on their toy brands easily.

7. jazzmasta32

jazzmasta32 Well-Known Member

transformers will not slip quietly into the night. they will live on. today they celebrate their independence day.

The point is that they will always be around. If hasbro stops the line, someone else will buy them.

8. Sol Fury

Sol Fury The British Butcher Administrator News Staff

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Instagram:
    There'll always be a market for transforming toy robots. Perhaps if TF did really badly, Hasbro would downscale the line a bit, but I doubt it would go away.

9. Psychrome86

Psychrome86 Well-Known Member

transformers would still exist in japan with the help of takara.

10. Cobalt Agent

Cobalt Agent My dick kills dinosaurs

but thats impossbnle! i dun understan hypotheticals qestions!

If Hasbro stopped it all, I'd just go back and buy everything I was missing. I might even army build.

11. Godzilla2

Godzilla2 Well-Known Member

Wait a minute, D.C. 's Crisis series is gonna be the official end to the D.C. U? I think your overdoing it there! TF I hope will never die!

12. Jetfireinthesky

News Credits:
    Nah. In the thread in Comics Forum someone posted a link to an article that talked about the slim possiblity of the Final Crisis thing.

13. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    Takara has bombed with transformers more times than hasbro ever has or will. what was the last actually successful line over there? Beast Wars. everything else has been kind of an embarassing failure. hell, they couldnt even finish superlink or galaxy force in japan. they havent even had a main line since they ended the galaxy force line with a lot of show characters still not released.

doubtful. I believe it's just DC's way of trying to gain some ground back after Marvel's rapidfire big events (House of M, Civil War, death of Captain America, Planet Hulk/World War Hulk) have dominated the market and made a lot of comic fans ignore DC. big fancy way of yelling "me too! look at me! remember me?"

14. Jetfireinthesky

News Credits:
    And yeah I meant this as hypothetical. I should have even more clearly stated that in my first post but I was too lazy to look up how to spell "hypothetical". I know Transformers isn't ending soon. Just wondering what it must be like for Potter fans.

Oh and the last Potter book ends with a 37 year old man named Harry Potter waking up from a dream. He is divorced with three kids and works at an I.T. place. He also has an unnaturally attraction to his co-workers underage daughter named Emma Watson. Hope I didn't spoil the book for anyone. :p 

15. LigerPrime

LigerPrime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Well said...mainline TFs have more or less bombed in Japan...that's why Classics was never released in Japan. Bandai and the other Japanese toy companies are kicking TakaraTomy's butt all over in Asia - all TakaraTomy can do is churn out re-issues to fight for a piece of the collector's market in Japan. So I can't fault TakaraTomy for milking the G1 molds.

And I don't believe DC is going to end the DC Universe - its just that they're "blockbusters" have paled in comparison in terms of entertainment to Marvel.

16. Sector Seven

Sector Seven ∞ GΣΣK™

I can sum this up nicely:

17. Godzilla2

Godzilla2 Well-Known Member

Oh shit! Thats weird! What do you call liking under age children again?

MARVEL RULES!

18. DilaZirK

DilaZirK Is bullheaded.

News Credits:
    When Transformers ends, then I start playing table top games like Warhammer 40,000. :p 

Don't have the time to commit to both hobbies.

19. ILoveDinobot

ILoveDinobot Arise Rodimus Prime

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    The end of transformers? never going to happen! I think that robots that transform into other things such as vehicles and animals was one of the best ideas ever for a toy.

20. Night Flame

Night Flame TFW2005 Supporter

If this happens, we'd not see an "end." They'd just go away without a word and that'd be that.

Transformers won't go out on top is what I'm saying. There's no hypothetical situation where you can believe Hasbro would allow Transformers as a brand to just stop, though every possibility that, when animatronic toys come along, if Transformers doesn't follow suit, it could fade away.

Something tells me that's not going to happen though.