The end of Transformers was in 1985.

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Funky Munky, Apr 12, 2011.

1. Funky Munky

Funky Munky G.I. Formers & Trans-Joe TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Why didn't Unicron just devour Cybertron and Earth when everyone was unaware and unprepared?
    Of course this means the end of all life itself, including us.

2. FatalT 71

FatalT 71 Mr. JazzHunter

News Credits:
    It wasn't in the script.

3. Fishdirt

Fishdirt Tin Toy Transformer

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    He was too far away?

His creator had other plans for him?

It was a childrens show with no rhyme or reason to anything it did aside from making characters look so cool you wanted to buy their toys?

The only thing to have stopped transformers from being a super epic was it's lack of making sense :D 

4. bellpeppers

bellpeppers A Meat Popsicle

News Credits:
    That wasn't 1985... that was 2005.

5. The Asp

The Asp Are we having fun yet?

He was too drunk on Paul Masson wine.

That's why he took twenty years to get there.

That, and his weight.

6. Deceptijohn

Deceptijohn Metallikato Master

News Credits:
    Why don't James Bond villains just shoot Bond in the face instead of putting him in a position to escape time after time? Because the no win scenario is not fun to watch.

7. Funky Munky

News Credits:
    Our 1985- as in no need for 1986- well except the beginning of the movie when Unicron could've eaten Earth instead of the planet Kranix was on.

8. Noideaforaname

Noideaforaname Pico, let's go up to Zuma

News Credits:
    The same reason he decided to transform into a form with a smaller, less efficient mouth to devour an entire planet. (read: *shrug*)

Was it Unicron's ultimate goal to devour Cybertron? I always assumed he just sort of stumbled upon it... or, well, stumbled upon a near-dead Megatron, scanned his memories, and attempted to force his obedience by destroying what Meg/Galvatron held dear.

9. Funky Munky

News Credits:
    How would Unicron know about the Matrix which could destroy him if he just stumbled upon the planet?

10. Deceptijohn

Deceptijohn Metallikato Master

News Credits:
    In the movie yeah he's just a seemingly random force of nature(well they didn't ever explain why he did what he did). In the comics Unicron and Primus(who IS Cybertron) are ancient enemies from beyond space and time doomed to a final confrontation(Unicron vs Primus' children) that would destroy them both(but not the kids).

11. Phil

Phil Well-Known Member

I'd like to introduce you to the plot hole strewn cartoon called Generation 1.

12. alfred p. sloan

alfred p. sloan Well-Known Member

While the OP sounds a bit sarcastic, the thread title is an interesting premise.

The 1985 toyline was the last of the G1 toys that tried to use real car disguises and more or less licensed alt-modes.

I think the '86 movie and toy line did a lot to kill the rabid fury of the transformers brand from just the two years previous. I don't just mean the death of optimus prime, but the wild future designs of the new toys. Let's consider Hot Rod, beloved now for his altmode design, I distinctly remember being turned off by the haphazard use of styling cliches used as a "car" mode. The mid-engine look of the design, coupled with the obvious engine poking out of the hood and the ridiculously huge sidepipes. The flames clearly stolen from the worst part of a late 70s trans-am, the angles juxtaposed with the curve of the door glass... In short it is a toy designers poorly thought out vision of the future.

What if transformers had instead tried to stick with the modern looks that were developing in 1986? The ford Taurus debuted in 1986 and it's "bar of soap" styling went on to revolutionize automotive design. It had a future look without kooky styling gimmicks like flip up roofs and enormous side Pipes. Had transformers stuck in the current time the lines asthetics wouldn't have carried so wildly. Why was nighbeat a rather well rendered 959 if he was set 20+ years in the future? Same with Punch-counterpunch.

This is all useless Pondering, of course, but the idea is intriguing. What to TFTM was set in 1986? Would the story really change much? No, but the 20 year gap did allow Hasbro to cease any plausibility in alt mode designs. I'm sure hasbro liked the idea of not having to license any designs but I think transformers wouldn't have slipped quite so quickly from prominence.

13. Macross7

Macross7 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Unicron couldn't have eaten Earth. Way too small. He is maybe the size of Cybertron & Ulimate Doom showed Cybertron was small compared to Earth. Also, Unicron has never been shown to eat non-mechanical planets. A rocky planet like Earth probably isn't on the menu.

14. Funky Munky

News Credits:
    Just like Serpentor killed Cobra Commander?

15. LadyStarscream

LadyStarscream Queen of Cybertron

He was a fan of Galactus? :lol 

16. UltraMagnus3786

UltraMagnus3786 That's what it is

I don't think it was the designs of the toys/cars that diminished popularity for the brand. The average kid wasn't looking at Hot Rod thinking "I'd rather have a more relevantly designed vehicle," but rather "Optimus is gone, and these new characters aren't as cool as the Ninja Turtles."

That said, it is interesting to think what might've been different had the movie and the cartoon setting been '86. I can't think of too many popular cartoons in the late '80s and early '90s that took place so vastly far in the future like TF2010 did.

17. Feralstorm

Feralstorm I ship Nick & Judy TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Unicron was not a big enough Katamari yet. (wink)

18. Kickback

Kickback Proud father Administrator Super Mod News Staff

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Tumblr:
    It wasn't just that after 1985 they stopped using "modern" vehicles, they ran out of Diaclone and Microman toys to use, as they had used them (well, most of them) up by the end of the 1985 toyline.

New toys had to be engineered, designed, etc. It was at that point the Transformers franchise began to dwindle, as cost went through the roof and profit went stumbling downward.

Hasbro, until Transformers, was used to My Little Pony (incredibly cheap plastic ponies) and GI Joe (incredibly cheap, small action figures). With Transformers, they just imported a bunch of already designed and produced toys. But when the well ran dry, and it came time to start designing their own stuff, they fell flat on their face.

This changed as Transformers continued on (some of the 1987 toys are pure awesome) but by that time the toyline had dropped in popularity, as other things began to become more popular (C.O.P.S., Thundercats, and the eventual appearance of Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles).

19. sto_vo_kor_2000

sto_vo_kor_2000 Banned

What makes you think it vwould have been easier for him to destroy earth in 1985?

Optimus was on earth in 1985, he could have used the matrix to stop Unicron.

20. transtrekkie

transtrekkie On the level.

I get what you're saying here, but I feel compelled to point out the obviously funny hole in this.

I don't have to stumble across a black widow to know that it'll kill me.