The End of the Franchise

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by monosierra, Jun 29, 2009.

1. monosierra

monosierra Well-Known Member

Now, as we know, all good things will eventually come to an end. Third films are usually terrible but studios are inclined to squeeze every drop out of a money gusher. But TF will end one day. The questions is how.

There are several scenarios, if TF3 disappoints.

1: Crappy but profitable 3rd film means 4th film is in the works

- Spiderman. Despite poor reviews for the third one, SP3 still made a ton of money for Sony. After a 3 year break, SP4 is likely to hit the screens in '10 or '11.
    - Shrek. Another weak third film. Yet S4 has been greenlit, thanks to the franchise still being profitable.
    - POTC: Same as above.

2: Reboot I: A Whole New Look

- Batman. Disastrous B&R meant an 8 year hiatus before a total reboot.
    - Hulk. Well-intentioned but wrong-headed Hulk '03 meant a new take in '08.

3: Reboot II: Different Edge

- James Bond. Although commercially successful, Die Another Day firmly suggested that a whole new direction has to be taken.
    - Star Trek. Poor but not disastrous BO for Nemesis meant that the series was dying a slow death. Reboot with new universe and cast.

4: Prequels

- Star Wars. A long time has passed but the universe is rich.
    - X-Men. BO for the last film was great, but reviews were so terrible that its best to have a prequel based on the iconic character.

5:End

- TF3 is bigger and louder than ROTF. Non-core audience have had enough of TF, and TF3 fails to reach ROTF's BO heights. Franchise is laid to rest.

2. Jetstorm

Jetstorm Wielder of the Keyblade

Assuming the 3rd Transformers movie does poorly of course.

I, for one, think it will be fantastic... just like the 1st one and RotF ;) 

3. deymasc

deymasc Well-Known Member

I think that after the third movie, it will be a while before we see another TF film. I also think that Bay will step away from the franchise and someone else will try to step in...and destroy the characters/universe by trying to give us too much, too soon.
    Not meaning to be a naysayer, but that's just what I envision happening.
    It would be cool to see someone come in after Bay steps down and give us a new trilogy with a new crop of characters...but NO UNICRON! That just won't translate well in a live action film! Can we say Galactus! LOL

4. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Dry built

News Credits:
    Werd.

Transformers isn't going to end. It's failed once before, but came back anyway.

5. jostru

jostru Well-Known Member

This.

The day that this franchise ends, I will cry like a baby.

6. monosierra

That's why TF3 must do well!

ROTF was helped by the immense goodwill of TF1.

7. Poho

Poho That's MISTER Poho to you

News Credits:
    i think i would be happy if it just ended after the third one. i'd like a quiter, darker third movie that doesn't have a lot of robots in it.

but what we'll probably get is an all-out war between the robots with a shit-ton of new characters, none of whom have screentime or lines.

8. Lock Cade

Lock Cade Tarn Fangirl TFW2005 Supporter

Seeing that ROTF is doing good so far in the box office, I'm sure Bay and crew would work hard to make Transformers 3 just as good or better than the first two movies combine.

I for one wouldn't mind seeing more Transformers films produced after Michael Bay does Transformers 3. I doubt Michael Bay would continue with the franchise after that, but then again if Transformers 3 does well enough to spawn more movies, he might be persuaded to do more. But if Michael Bay quits after Transformers 3, whether it does well or not, then somebody else can step up to the plate and do an entirely new take on the Transformers franchise.

I'm really enjoying the Movie-verse, so I would like to see more live-action Transformers movies be made. If they don't, then oh well... I can always watch what ones were already made on DVD any time I want.

9. monosierra

Reminds me of the first 2 Batman films: Tim Burton receding to producer roles whilst a new director takes over.

The only catch is - there are very few directors who can handle such huge action sequences. Very few indeed. Besides Bay, perhaps only the likes pf Spielberg, Jacksonn, Scott & Cameron have the experience and technical expertise to do it.

10. Human Beastbox

Human Beastbox The Murdinator

News Credits:
    ROTF is a fairly terrible film in every way a film can be rated as good, but overwhelmingly we all seem to love it (myself included) and millions of dollars of movie goers speak volumes. This movie entertains. Period.

As long as these films make big money, Dreamworks/Paramount will keep making live-action TF movies. Simple as. What would make anyone think the third film would honestly tank at this point?

11. vektsilver

vektsilver Transorganic member

does anyone realize why Hasbro decided to put a movie in the works in the first place.

Transformers is like Gundam just internationally ( not to say gundam doesnt a have a presence around the world ). Transformers is a wildly popular franchise and has a cult status not mention its also pop culture.

As ROTF proved to us you could crap in a bag and label it Transformers and it would sell on name alone.

Not a fan of Michael Bay's vision I think it destroys that great personal edge that TF has always had with characters but the Movies will continue to come out long as people put money into it. With any luck they ll reboot the Franchise and wipe the slate clean.

12. iamamachine

iamamachine colonyofcells

News Credits:
    I know humans get bored easily so TF3 is probably the last one for a while before the next reboot. Everything in the universe has a beginning and an end and we have to get used to constant change.

13. Human Beastbox

News Credits:
    For me personally, this new film was like cinematic fast food. Bad for you, very little redeeming value, but it just tastes so good!:D 

14. Cory Bauer

Cory Bauer Well-Known Member

I think if they try to repeat the same formula a third time they're going to be in trouble. You can only do "boy runs MacGuffin through battlefield as military and Autobots kill Decepticons" so many times, and doubling the number of ball and hump jokes probably won't improve the humor, either.

15. transmetal2dinobot

transmetal2dinobot Sub-Commander

Ebay:
    that's a good analogy there matey

16. Human Beastbox

News Credits:
    Don't put it past them.

17. monosierra

That's exactly what I fear - but I sense Spielberg probably knows it all too well. They can't do it again for the 3rd time.

18. Ash from Carolina

Ash from Carolina Junior Smeghead

Really a tough call because they have so many different options on how they could go.

Like any franchise at some point people will get to that been there done that feeling. But given that Hollywood now knows it can make money off it I'm sure they will revive it at some point just like so many other franchises that ran out of steam only to be reborn.

19. Human Beastbox

News Credits:
    The film was explosion pr0n. No?:lol 

20. Digilaut

Digilaut My name is Drift.

News Credits:
    It doesn't matter what happens. Even if this incarnation ends after the 3rd one, it has opened the way for more big budget Transformers fun in the future, in a reboot or sequels.