The End of Collecting?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by 420bot, Jul 6, 2011.

1. Transbot90210

Transbot90210 Banned

News Credits:
    I can't speak on behalf of the of the DOTM figures because they are the first line of figures I am not colelcting.

But leaving now is WOW! I was about to leave and this 3rd party era has sucked me back in and with more passion than ever. Heck in the last 10 years I rewached 1000 posts and with the arrival of 3rd party stuff I am at 4000. What does that tell ya?

Hate to see you go, actually it doesn't change a thing for me, the way I see it is if one line got you to quit you weren't much of a toy collecting fan anyway.

Thanx
    Transbot90210

P.S. Weren't these "I'm leaving" threads stopped just like opening new "Hi I'm new" threads???

2. TrueNomadSkies

TrueNomadSkies Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I couldn't find anything the rules about that, and even it was a rule (in which case it should be documented), an easy way around that would be to word the thread like a general discussion of giving up the game & whatnot, rather than the whole "screw you guys, I'm going home" type of thread.

3. jorod74

jorod74 Psycholagnist (Ret.)

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    i thought there was a rule about "goodbye" threads.

i haven't had any problems with the few TFs i have bought from the DotM line.

but when TF XXXVII comes out, i will buy them all, run em over with a Hummer, then bitch about committing toy suicide.
    "Goodbye cruel toy collecting world, you betrayed my childlike innocence!"

i have seen some QC issues with each line over the years, but the percentages are acceptable.
    i mean, from TFU 2.0 until DotM, i have only had 2 toys that broke. and they were cheaply, easily replaced.

but since this is a TF discussion, i'm gonna go with this in regards to quitting the collecting:
    "i thought you were made of sterner stuff."

4. Transbot90210

Transbot90210 Banned

News Credits:
    Also to the OP....Your name is 420, you sure you ain't high when your TRansforming these things? Hand eye coordination is crap when high.

Save money from buying plastic crack and spend it on the pot. We all need our hobbies.

And if there is no official rule on "goodbye" threads I do know it is shunned upon. This is because we are dealing with plastic crack...people leave but most come back.

5. GataKiriBaOOO

GataKiriBaOOO Got to Keep it Real

Reading the unbelievable list of figures that OP has broken, I have come to one conclusion:

Ham Hands.

Stop torquing and yanking on shit to free it, and you'll break it less. Don't blame Hasbro because you're using it as a flyswatter. I own all the figures you mentioned except Voy. Ironhide, and haven't had a single QC problem with any of them. There really isn't anyone else saying they've had the same problem as him, either, in the thread. And sure as shit not with a dozen toys from one line.

So in conclusion, be gentle, and use the instructions for fuck's sake. Real men don't break their toys because they're too proud to read a sheet of paper.

6. transformers32

transformers32 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I mean really is there a need to put a goodbye thread up everytime because someone wants to cry about collecting? Get over it and stop your bitching. Like other people have said stop treating them so rough and you wont break them... drink some water and walk it off... Do some push ups :|

7. Deceptijohn

Deceptijohn Metallikato Master

News Credits:

This is an aspect of my style of acquiring I enjoy as well. And when you aren't buying a ton of pieces every year it does become the "active" part of the hobby for sure. Doing research, comparison shopping and selecting that one right toy that really "does it" for me is fun in and of itself. And when one of those special pieces does come along(hello Encore Devy) it's a lot more exciting for me than when I had a box show up at my door every other day.

8. KNOOM842

KNOOM842 Ultra Con

Hay being high has nothing to do with broke TF's. I've Transformed Warbot many times while being that way.Has/Tak Qc has been more and more sucky with each new movie,420bot try collecting 3rd party stuff its way better then that crap from DOTM,ROTF and such

9. Autobot Dave

Autobot Dave Photobot

Deceptijohn is wise :thumbs2: 

I got rid of nearly my entire collection. And we're talking a collection that included some G1s and G2s, Beast Wars starting from the time Transmetals began; a lot of RID; a large percentage of Armada (that's when I started to get the feeling I had a problem ;)  ); all original molds in Energon and Cybertron; all original Classics; most of Universe (Classics 2.0); every Binaltech up to Convoy; and Optimus Prime, Starscream, Megatron, Skywarp and Thundercracker from Masterpiece.

With the exception of some I still need to sell, I kept just two TFs: MP-1 Optimus Prime and MP-05 Megatron...and I LOVE my little collection! I'm even looking at iGear and Fansproject for possible upgrades to make them both the ultimate versions :D 

And maybe one day the collection will expand ever so slightly, but with a MUCH narrower focus than it once had.

Of course, if it really is a QC issue, everything I typed is pretty much moot; and you should just exchange the broken ones you like, then order from TT to get the paint apps you want.

Good luck, and have fun!!!

10. Transbot90210

Transbot90210 Banned

News Credits:
    Right now I am a bigger fan of 3rd party than official stuff but I need to disagree.

Did you see that dudes list? Has quality from Animated/Classics to DOTM fallen that much?

This guy is just going way to rough on his figures. Movie toys are currently the most intricate Transformers around which have smaller parts and more engineering. You can not compare a 3rd party figure to DOTM in regards to engineering and moving parts. (But hey they do look a ton better don't they :)  )

The OP is just being way to rough on his figures. I have about 800 figures and if 1% have broken on me or suffered hardcore QC issues that would be high. QC issues do happen but not to half a line lol.

11. megatroptimus

megatroptimus Untitled

News Credits:
    ^This. I don't feel sorry for the guy at all.

12. Deceptijohn

Deceptijohn Metallikato Master

News Credits:

Jeebus don't let anyone in the TF movie forum know... it will ruin my image. ;) 

13. Gingerchris

Gingerchris Telly-headed Tyrant

News Credits:
    DotM figures have been a bit of a headache for me. I've got fifteen now but something like nine of them had to be returned because of parts broken right out of the pack. After the first four or so I've taken to opening any new figures in my car right outside the store because it's just become a chore to have to drag all the way back from my home to get an exchange.
    Pin joints seem to be my curse. Either they've cracked the joint they're installed in, been driven through at an angle and broken the joint or there'll be one just missing completely.
    Dlx Topspin was my most troublesome. First one I opened had both pin joints at the ankle hinges broken. The exchanged one had exactly the same problem. The third one had a mashed joint on one of the shoulder pods which looked like someone had hammered the pin in with a brick. After these three there were no more Topspins on the shelf, but the kind lady at the customer services desk let me assemble a complete problem-free one from the three crappy figures. I think though she just did that so I'd go away and not keep coming back to bug her over toys. :p 

I'm not hard on my figures or ham-fisted or anything. Up until about five years ago I don't think I'd ever had such problems in all my TF collecting since I started in 1984. The QC problems of recent years have made me very careful with my stuff and I'll check a new figure over carefully the moment I open it to make sure it's not faulty in some way.

What I've got of the DotM line so far I've enjoyed more than the previous couple of movie lines, but stuff faulty from the get-go has made it so every purchase now means I'm going 'So, what will the problem be now?'.
    I'm not going to leave the fandom or stop collecting because of it, but it can be rather disappointing. People used to buy me TF for birthdays and Christmas but now I just ask for the cash because it sucks for them to buy and hold a figure for me and then on the special day I open it to find it's broken and there's none left at that store to exchange it for or the receipt has been mislaid.

14. megatroptimus

megatroptimus Untitled

News Credits:
    That is extremely hard to believe. Upon first transformation would already be more believable.

15. tikgnat

tikgnat Baweepgranaweepninnybong.

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Don't be so quick to disregard peoples QC stories. My Generations Warpath had a pin in his right shoulder not inserted properly, so his shoulder wouldn't close up properly. I ended up repairing it alright, but the inside of his shoulder is a mess.

I think QC is a problem thats been steadily going downhill over the years. The fact of the matter is this, we're mostly adults that collect toys. If some of us are having issues imagaine what KIDS are going through.

16. Autovolt 127

Autovolt 127 Get In The Titan, Prime!

News Credits:
    MY DOTM toys are fine, it was the RTS/Generations line that bugged me with QC like the stress marks on the open fisted hands.

17. justamaze

justamaze Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    A few paint apps and the one piece that occasionally pops off with too much (or little) force. Oh no! Being a TF collector, I know this all to well. Still love collecting these China made bots. I have more of a problem with these not being made in USA than the QC.

18. videriant

videriant Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Please. It's not time to quit collectiong. It's time to evolve. No more child's play. Go after the Japanese stuff, the Encores, the United. The 3rd party items. Your wallet is going to hurt even more!!!

Muwahahahahahahah :ev: :music 

19. Gingerchris

Gingerchris Telly-headed Tyrant

News Credits:
    I am not lying. I actually quite like the DotM toyline. I have no reason to slate it. Why should I be the one that's accused of being ham-fisted with the figures? How about the people that are making them? Does how I transform a figure suddenly make the pin change the angle it's been driven through a joint so that it's broken it? Or make a wheel completely vanish, rivet and all?
    I check all my figures over carefully during the first transformation while also being very careful not to stress or force anything. The fact is that stuff is sometimes broken right out of the packaging, and I've just been very unlucky to have gotten a run of it over a short period of time.

20. Batman

Batman The Dark Knight TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Goodbye.