The End of Collecting?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by 420bot, Jul 6, 2011.

1. 420bot

420bot ******

Well folks, after having so many DOTM toys begin to break already I have to say that this feels like the end of collecting to me, It's just become so stupid and not fun.

Remember when Hasbro still made toys that would last and last (looks at all my TM2 Beast Wars figs. which I never had to ever take back once b/c of bad QC), well those days are truly gone it seems.

With all these Generations and RTS figures never reaching the public, all the dotm quality control issues, the fact that paint apps are fading away literally and figuartively, the fact that they send a million BB's per every case, and Hasbros general feeling that things are better than ever...........yeah it's time to quit.

Goodbye my fellow TFwers, until they make a Beast Wars film or new BW's TV show I am done.

But before I go away forever, would you care to share your feelings?

2. Deceptigtar

Deceptigtar Sworn Decepticon Assassin

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    what problems you having? i have been collecting again since beast wars came out and i have several hundred and have never ever had one break, or had to return to the store, ever!

sure some paint apps today and be spotty but not enough to get me all worked up and leave the hobby.

to each their own though, sorry you feel that way.

3. Thalack

Thalack Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Though it isn't the end of collecting for me, I do see what you're saying.

Paint apps do seem to be less and less on figures and the QC isn't as good as it used to be even just a couple years ago.

I've never really had any major issues with figures until the DOTM toyline, more specifically loose joints. I must have 5 or 6 different figures right form the box with loose joints, some so loose that they can't hold up their own weight, let alone their weapons.

4. Matty

Matty @StayingInTheBox Veteran

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    I've experienced no problems regarding QC. I guess it's hit or miss. I think it's an exciting time to be a fan.

Hope to see you back some day. Goodbye for now.

5. Stryker055

Stryker055 Trying my best here!

Ebay:
    Kind of a stupid reason to stop collecting IMHO, but your choice is your own. Goodbye and have fun with all the extra money you'll have. :lol 

6. Thalack

News Credits:
    I agree it is a very exciting time to be a fan. I've been having a blast. Even with a few loose joints, I'm loving all of my toys, can't wait for som ehopefuly announcements at SDCC and want Prime toys when they hit later this year.

My wallet is screaming in agony over how hard I'm squeezing it :p 

7. 420bot

420bot ******

Exactly, qc was starting to go down and than bang DOTM came out and I've taken so many toys back I can't remember them all.

I am more sad than anything.............. you see huffy posters yelling about hasbro but I am not that, I just feel the child in my heart dying b/c HA Roadbuster being b r o k e n out of the box was the last straw.

I'll try to list all the figures with broken arms, cracked hinges, and other various crap that I had to take back...

At least four Del. Crankcases. (only one was just for cut fingers)
    Two Leader SP's.
    Voy. Ironhide.
    Voy. Megatron.
    Del. Sideswipe.
    Comettor pack.
    Del. Barricade- damn thing was missing it's head.

And now HA Roadbuster...............ugh, I can't afford all the gas going back to exchange these anymore.

Also there were probably more but I've forgotten.

8. 420bot

420bot ******

thanks.

9. wolfe

wolfe Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    It's been hit and miss from what i can see. Seems like you are having a run of bad luck going by that list. I'm enjoying collecting so much right now... from hunting at discount stores or making trades. Great time to be a fan, imo.

10. bny888

bny888 バグバイト

News Credits:
    Sorry to hear the TS is quitting.

I myself am having a great time now collecting the new stuff and trying to get older ones. But I'm a bit overwhelmed with all the DOTM stuff that's coming out, the figures and the promo items, I feel a bit stressed out because I want them all, meaning all the Bee stuff. :) 

11. 420bot

420bot ******

Also keep in mind I really enjoyed the DOTM film and still feel its a good time to be a fan.
    I am still a fan, it's just that I'm done collecting any and all NEW toys.

I am keeping all my old figures that will probably never break, at least not until I am dead.

12. Ash from Carolina

Ash from Carolina Junior Smeghead

I'm on a Transformers collecting break myself right now.

The movie stuff just doesn't appeal to me at all so there is nothing in the stores right now to look for. The third party stuff looks nice but it's more than I'm willing to spend as a casual collector.

So my collecting is focused on stuff like GI Joe or Marvel Universe until the Transformers Prime figures come out or Hasbro releases something new for Generations.

13. 420bot

420bot ******

Your wallet and toy shelf would thank you if they could.

14. PlanckEpoch

PlanckEpoch Crossdresser Toy Collector

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    All this talk about QC issues makes me VERY glad that everyone gets the bad apples, and not me. :lol 

No offense of course. I'm not kidding when I say I'm fortunate to have ONLY gotten 1 Transformer toy with QC issues, and I've been collecting almost non-stop since 2009, and on and off in the Unicron trilogy stuff. Even my old G2 and G1 stuff never had QC issues. I've gotten Minicons second hand and other stuff second hand and they were practically perfect.

The only toy I had QC on was Mudslinger, the PCC 5 pack.

Anyways, I'm with you on the stopping, at least for now. I'm pretty much done buying Movie stuff. Maybe just three or four more left to buy, but those aren't until later. Now I'm focusing more on GI Joe and Third Party stuff.

15. Steevy Maximus

Steevy Maximus Old School Snarkster

News Credits:
    Here's my big issues:
    One, Generations is still shipping. EVERY WEEK people are coming across Kup, Scourge, Wheeljack, Thundercracker and even Warpath.

Two, EVERY figure from last spring was available FOR MONTHS at various online sources. Yes, buying a set is more expensive than picking them up piece by piece at Walmart, but to say "they never reached the public" is hyperpole. As I've figured it, before shipping, most Generations is running $15 in a set. TRU is pricing them at $13.95 before tax. What' a couple more dollars to ensure you get the toy you want without dealing with an inconsistent retail channel (much less a secondary market where almost every Classics toy has doubled to tripled in value)

I've had Lugnut and Grappel for FOUR MONTHS, even though I've never seen them at Walmart.

But if the hobby is no longer fun for you, then I'd readily encourage you to quit.

16. seali_me

seali_me RIP January 2018

i feel like there's no end to this actually and its overwhelming. tons of things to collect. i might quit one day.

17. 420bot

420bot ******

Okay so let me re-pharse- all these RTS figures and Warpath never reaching the Gen. Public, not every mofo has a credit card.

Don't forget about Demo Rumble and Windcharger, thats the heart of this.

18. Deceptijohn

Deceptijohn Metallikato Master

News Credits:

Reading your post makes me think you may be straining under the weight of maintaining a collection instead of enjoying your possessions and that the frustration with QC issues is just a symptom of your overall frustration with trying to maintain a collection.

My advice is to take a step back for a bit and evaluate what it is you love about your collection. Is it the collection or the collecting?

I have gone through being a "collector" twice in my life. The first time was as a kid when I was building models of aircraft. I must have had 75 by the time I quit. They were hanging from my ceiling and all over my shelves. Nothing left I wanted to build and puberty raging, I destroyed my entire collection with fireworks. The second time was as an adult when I got into building Gundams. My collection quickly overwhelmed the limited space I had at the time, I had more kits sitting around then I would ever get to building. I finally realized that I was more enamored with the process of building and painting than I was with having a ton of Gundams and gave my entire collection to a nephew.

Both of those experiences have made me the "non-collector" I am today. I have a collection but I don't collect. I buy very few pieces, they tend to be higher-end(exception being the few CHUGs I have) and each one is really special to me in some way. I have found this style of acquiring things has been much more enjoyable to me than my old style of buying everything in sight. Basically I started being able to enjoy the thing itself without having to see it as a slot in a collection that is filled or empty or how it relates to the other pieces or a million other things I see people pondering on these boards about their "collection".

I look at people's collection pics with whole rooms filled to the brim, shelves groaning under the weight of masses of figures that are barely indistinguishable from a distance and it looks like visual diarrhea to me(and brings up memories of my own room filling collections from the past). I have a grand total of 9 pieces on display at the moment( I rotate stuff on and off display throughout the year), and to me, each one is more special and has more visual impact than a dozen pieces someone else may have crowded onto a shelf.

I dunno if any of that is relevant to your current conundrum, but I wish you the best of luck on your journey.

19. PlanckEpoch

PlanckEpoch Crossdresser Toy Collector

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    No way man. I've seen Warpath 4 times at 4 different places over the last 3 months. I've seen a TON of Wreck Gar and his wavemates, and I've even seen two or three Thundercrackers and Wheeljack each time I've seen Warpath. My comic store has 4 Wreck Gars at 16 bucks and they've been there since they first came out!

These guys are getting out there. Just gotta be a bit more patient!

ALSO: You could perhaps trying to trade what you have for things you need. Or asking members on this board to help look for you. Even if you don't have a credit card you can write a check or buy a money order....right? That's how I got my Windcharger. 10 dollars shipped. From a member on this board. I asked, and he went out looking for it, got it and sent it, and I paid. Easy as hell!

20. Thalack

News Credits:
    I'm happy my only quality control issues have been with cyberverse figures. Liek I said in a previous post, I have about 5 or 6 figures with loose joints, all cyberverse. One of the main reasons it doesn't bother me is I expected it to be more frequent in a $5 figure. Although one of them is a loose left elbow on comander Sentinel, but from what I understnd there are a few techniques to tighten them up.