The Elusive Art Of--WILL POWER!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by SamiWCP, Oct 26, 2010.

1. SamiWCP

SamiWCP Guest

So, we're a people here of all ages, genders, ethnicities etc..We share some common interests, some common hobbies. We're all people on this big blue planet. Except KA. He's not of this world.

Anyways..each of us in our own world has to occasionally make decisions that have lasting effects on your life. Be it to get in shape, lose weight, not eat this, or that, quit smoking etc etc..

What are some of the things you've personally done--by your own choice, not some outside motivator, that it took just sheer good old fashion Will Power to resolve? What did you accomplish? What's the next goal?

In my eternal struggle to lose weight and maintain that, I stopped driving to work for the most part--and started riding in..that didn't work out too well come fall, and so I switched over to waking earlier and riding 10miles in 30mins before work, and then another 1hr/20miles at night. Also tried to limit the amount of bad food I generally find myself reaching for..more water, less diet pop etc. I've dropped down a few sizes so far, but, now I'm pregnant, and well..i'm trying here..But we shall see.

2. Ops_was_a_truck

Ops_was_a_truck JOOOLIE ANDREWWWWWS!!!!!!

Ebay:
    I think I'm going to be struggling with my weight until I die. :( 

I mostly use weight watchers as a guide to losing, and it pretty much works, so long as I'm either sticking with it loosely or strictly. Depending on how strict I am, I either plateau or I start losing again. I, personally, find it hard to snap my fingers away when the sweets are out - and potato chips are a bad one for me too - but I work my damndest at making sure to rationalize with myself. Is it worth it? Is that next chip, or cookie, or etc. worth it?

3. Deceptikitty

Deceptikitty all about the hasubandos

I envy people that can eat anything and stay as thin as a rail.

Over a year ago I was at my heaviest, but after a visit to the doctor she diagnosed me with polycystic ovarian syndrome and put me on Yaz and Metformin (usually used for diabetes, but with PCOS it causes insulin resistance). One year later, I dropped 40 pounds without really even trying. Now I've been trying to stay around this weight, and the past couple of months I've gained a little bit due to stress eating and going out often. I've been working on it, and I can fit snuggly into pants that were hard to get on a month ago. Feels good man. But I try to enjoy all of the things I love - just in moderation. If I want cake or whatever, I tend to skip a meal.. like the cake will become my lunch. Or if we went out to lunch at my old job and I have something like spaghetti with meatballs I won't eat dinner, or I'll replace it with a cup of cereal. Water is great as well. I try to have about one can of soda a day, and I try to drink at least a liter of water a day. It's an eternal struggle :( 

Last edited: Oct 26, 2010
  4. seeker311

seeker311 The Collector

News Credits:
    I chose to not drink soda 3 years ago and havent since

Chose to not do any drug other than alcohol up to this point in my life, though it seems half of my social circle is into something.

its my own will power that gets me to the gym sometimes and sometimes keeps me playing xbox at home

5. Brainchild

Brainchild Dark Flame Master

I seem to have the opposite problem of everyone here. No matter how much I eat, I never have the willpower to eat enough to where I gain some weight. I'm currently a stick.

6. SamiWCP

SamiWCP Guest

oh I feel your pain....lol ugh.

7. Tigertrack

Tigertrack Back In The Game!

I need to learn how to save money.

8. Megatronwp38

Megatronwp38 Megatron? Is that you!?!?

5 years ago I lost around 100 pounds. I've gained some back, however it's not fat weight it's Muscle weight as about 3 years ago I started lifting weights and going to the gym. I still do my best to abide by the rules I started 5 years ago. It seems to have worked, but yeah, I've struggled with weight my entire life. It's eternal. I smell food and I gain weight. My partner sneezes and looses 10 pounds.

9. Foster

Foster Super Mod

News Credits:
    Do it to set a good example for your kid.

10. Scantron

Scantron Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    - I lost about 45 pounds a few years ago and have managed to keep it off ever since. Mostly just by cutting back on sugar, fatty foods and fast food, with not much change in my exercise levels. I'm at the high end of a healthy weight for my frame and wouldn't mind dropping a couple more pounds, though.

- Other than a small loan to my parents, which I'm paying back as quickly as possible, I carry no debt and never run a balance on my credit cards.

- I've gotten to the point where I save at least 30% of my take-home pay every month. I still live comfortably, but I've cut back on some of my hobbies (anime, graphic novels, non-TF toys and even TFs) and I don't waste money on certain unnecessary 'luxuries' (cable, expensive cell phone plan, car, etc). A little difficult sometimes, but it feels great to put that money directly into my savings every month and watch it slowly build up. Next financial goal is to open up a retirement account and get some investments going.

11. Predaking

Predaking Well-Known Member

You are? Congrats!

As for me, I finally left my wife of 4 years, who's been verbally abusive to me, tried to isolate me from my mom and siblings, and been controlling my life from the get go so I couldn't do anything but listening to her or we'd be fighting constantly. I was contemplating divorce for the longest time and finally have the strength to walk away. Now I am looking for a new career and starting my life over again. My wife first reacted to my departure with anger.. by blasting me over email and fax and asking for financial support, but lately she's toned down her rhetorics considerably and begging me to go back to her, which I am not about to do.

12. Pride21

Pride21 Honor Wisdom Virtue

For me it was quitting fast food. On very rare occasions once every few months I'll get chinese. The only thing that gets me is coffee. Whether it's making it at home (a cup a day) or going to the local Dunkin Donuts (maybe 2 times a week). I've been drinking the stuff since I was 12 or 13.

13. Tyrannosaur

Tyrannosaur 100% Sarcastic Saurian

For those trying to lose weight, cut out most of the sugary/carb filled food in your diet. Instead of eating 3 big meals, eat 5-7 small meals a day, like a sandwich or something. Intake small amounts of food at a constant rate, it will boost your metabolism and make you want to work out more. It worked for me, I shed 20 lbs. and I'm down to 185 now and can fit into a 34" pair of jeans, though I prefer 36"

A big challenge to me right now is building my transformer costume :D  I finally found the motivation to build it this year and it's about half-done. The next day or two it's going to be painted. Hopefully it will be done by Friday so I can wear it to school and show off my geekyness :lol 

If anyone can recommend me some really good sites on how to make it look good please let me know. I've searched the web and it gave me crap results.

14. Victorysabre

Victorysabre Born to Transform

News Credits:
    I so need to work on some will power. I'm not quite back into my college clothes (when I was so slender and had such long hair I was VERY often mistaken for a girl. Yeah, that wasn't annoying) but I'm getting there. But if I could get myself to kick the soda habit I'd be golden. I've gotten this far just by being active and eating less. Not that I ever got too heavy. I was a size 38 at my biggest. But that seems high when I could fit comfortably into a 29 in college just 6 or so years ago.

My biggest will power need is my writing. I have all these ideas, notes, started chapters, and they're all sitting on my laptop or in my head. I want to write a book so bad. I keep blaming it on spending so much time running around with my kids, but really I just need to make myself do it.

15. optimusfan

optimusfan Kill your heroes Administrator TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Will power? I've got that in spades. A couple of examples I'm most proud of:

• Working out an average of 3x per week for 13 consecutive years this November.
    • Earning my masters degree over the course of three and a half years while continuing to work full-time.

16. llamatron

llamatron Shut up, Nigel. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
  17. Chaos Muffin

Chaos Muffin Misadventure Veteran

No wai , no freakin waiiiii!!!!111eleven

Attached Files:

18. Dark_Convoy

Dark_Convoy Old Bastard Veteran

Fighting depression/anger has been a major battle of wills for me. In the last year I think I finally started getting a handle on it.

19. optimusfan

optimusfan Kill your heroes Administrator TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Hey, the friend who convinced me to do it completed his in 4 years while working full-time, but he also had a pregnant wife and then newborn for the last year and a half. I consider that much more impressive.

Thought of one more:

• Never carried a balance on a credit card, and don't plan to ever do so.

Oh, and I finished my undergraduate degree and did probably ~4 years of the regular workouts while going through severe and then low-grade hypothyroidism. Battling through the extreme persistent fatigue, memory loss, weight gain, and other symptoms was definitely all willpower.

20. Zherbus

Zherbus In Shogo Hasui, we trust.

News Credits:
    Same here. It takes more than just will to stop it. Having the two who matter most to me is something I've had to draw from.