The effects of new compact flourescent bulbs?

Discussion in 'The Toyark' started by Sokar, Mar 5, 2007.

1. Sokar

Sokar Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    With parts of the world attempting to switch away from incandescent bulbs to the new, more energy efficient compact flourescent bulbs, I've been looking at switching the bulbs in the room with most of my transformers over to the new bulbs. They last longer and are cheaper for me to run, but I'm still a little warry of the change over since I've heard flourescent bulbs can cause yellowing very quickly. Granted I tend to keep most of my tf's away from direct light, but there is still some light that will always hit them.

Has anyone actually switched over to these new bulbs? and have you seen any significant increase in yellowing?

I'm not sure that the lower amount of watts that these bulbs are rated at would make a difference, since the light being produced is apparently the same or better. Also, the type of light being emited may be more damaging from what I've read...

2. Mr. Wholesome

Mr. Wholesome WWOD What Would Ops Do?

Ebay:
    Run some tests. Find a TF tha has plastic white parts where you wouldn't care what happens too. Then put him in a box or confined area for a week or two with a flourescemt bulb thats constantly on. Then just see if there is any changes.

3. deceptifocus

deceptifocus *Supercharged*

Ebay:
    theres also two different kinds (i know cus i sell these) theres the shoplight "daylight" style thats a super bright white, and theres the regular soft white, which could cause different effects

4. Sol Fury

Sol Fury The British Butcher Administrator News Staff

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Instagram:
    I'd imagine the bright white one might cause more yellowing than the softer one - bright lights and strong light has given me the most trouble with yellowing so far.

5. Cheebs

Cheebs Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube:
    You also might want to run a test to see if the flourescent light just plain "does it" for you. I personally hate their color. I tried them for a while but had to switch back to incandescent.

6. CdnShockwave

CdnShockwave The Prince of Poses TFW2005 Supporter

I've been using the soft white ones for four years now and my toys look fine. No problems here.

I use the 9watt complact florescent in place of the 60watt incandescent. Glad to see you're thinking of making the switch.

7. Phy

Phy I want... ROOM SERVICE!!

News Credits:
    All fluorescents initially produce UV light, but if they are working right they shouldn't be radiating it, as the fluorescent coating inside the tube absorbs (is opaque to) the UV and reradiates it as visible light.

They make CFs in a "warm white" nearly indistinguishable from the buttery light put out by most incandescents. (I guess that's the same as "soft white"?) I switched my apartment over last summer and I've been pretty happy with it; haven't really noticed any yellowing on my white TFs or Gundam kits.

8. MegaMoonMan

MegaMoonMan www.megamoonman.com TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube:
    The "bright white" bulbs are awful, they put out the ugliest florescent light. I've got a few "soft white" of whatever they are called around the house, and they are comparable to regular bulbs.

I've never heard of florescent bulbs yellowing anything.

9. chocula78

chocula78 Satellite Systems Engr TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    I was wondering this myself. How can I display my G1 Jetfire without him yellowing? He's my favorite in my collection, but I fear showing him off will cause him to yellow.

10. MegaMoonMan

MegaMoonMan www.megamoonman.com TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube:
    Perhaps there is some kind of treatment that can applied before yellowing starts and prevents it?

11. ckhtiger

ckhtiger old skool fool

I don't trust any of it. I just keep mine in an unused room without additional light, and away from the windows.

12. Mike

Mike Banned

Ebay:
    I agree with ckhtiger, I don't put my toys out in ANY kind of light, that I plan to keep for a very long time. They stay under the stairs where no light reaches them at all (well only when Im in there with the lights on)

also it wont be much longer till the companies stop producing incandescent bulbs, so you might as well switch now :) 

13. Team Jetfire

Team Jetfire Pop-POP!

News Credits:
    In my room I have a Dome type light with the Flourescent bulbs, so there is no direct light shinning on the figures. I would think that is there is a toy directly under a spot light it would affect it, otherwise I think you should be fine.

14. Phy

News Credits:
    The sun, the moon, the nassty man-lights, they burns our preciousss! We curses them, oh yes, my preciousss, we does, and we hates them forever!
    [​IMG]

15. Night Flame

Night Flame TFW2005 Supporter

It's not the color that kills them for me, it's the flicker. Oh sure, it's not normally perceptible until they start to go bad, but your eyes can tell. Spend ten hours under incandescents and then spend ten hours doing the same job under fluorescents. The ache in your eyes isn't because of the color, it's because they constantly flicker.

Of course, every business in the world is switching to all fluorescent because they "run cheaper." It never ceases to amaze me how much a company will invest in fucking up their employees eyes. Right as we make the switch to non-eye-killing LCD and plasma displays for computers we switch from smooth burning incandescent to flickering eye-destroying fluorescents. It's a wonderful thing.

16. CdnShockwave

CdnShockwave The Prince of Poses TFW2005 Supporter

Florescent lights have a coating on the inside of the bulb (phosphorus I think) that filters out or converts the non-visible spectrum (UV yellowing nasties) into visible toy-safe light. The amount of UV you'd get from one of those things is about as much as you'd get from a window that never gets any direct sunlight, so no more than your toys get sitting in your room with the blinds closed.

17. Phy

News Credits:
    Night Flame - normal long-tube fluorescents using magnetic ballasts do have visible flicker. The electronic ballasts in most CFs kick up the line frequency to 20 kHz or higher. If you can see flicker off of that, you've got better eyes than a lot of people.

18. ckhtiger

ckhtiger old skool fool

^^ that's a smart cookie right there, yessir.

19. Hiro Prime

Hiro Prime Cybertronian Guru Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    It's not just light that can yellow toys. I pulled out a Menelba that I had stored in it's original box and I noticed that it was starting to yellow even tho it's been in the dark and dry box for years.

20. Sol Fury

Sol Fury The British Butcher Administrator News Staff

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Instagram:
    Ouch, that's rough. Perhaps plastic degredation plays a part too? I've got a white toy somewhere where it has yellowed up to the seam in the leg, one half really badly the other not so much. Two separate pieces, possibly molded at different stages in the process so maybe the plastic on the worse part was a lower grade or something?