The DVD catch-all discussion thread.

Discussion in 'Movies and Television' started by Recall, Apr 15, 2009.

1. Recall

Recall Player Select

News Credits:
    We all randomly buy DVDs that really don't need a thread of their own, so thought it best to have a thread dedicated to DVDs you've recently watched/purchased.

I had a bit of a "Horror" theme going when I got these. Evil Dead II, Planet Terror & Pitch Black, all for £4 each at my local Tesco.

Pitch Black is still a so-so film for me while Planet Terror was a really cool b-movie/horror flick. Lots of inovative ideas that were easy to just watch for what they were. The whole thing oozed Tarantino and his style but thats not a bad thing at all.

So what have you recently watched/purchased and what did you think of them?

2. GigatronSama

GigatronSama Mr. Insomnia Veteran

I picked up The Spirit today. I've watched it and I'm not quite sure what to make of it. Some parts just plain didn't make sense, but other parts felt true to the original comic. I'm going to have to watch the commentary to make heads or tails of it. At least it's a nice dose of Neo-Noir until Sin City 2 comes out.

3. Recall

Recall Player Select

News Credits:
    Blade.

Just randomly decided to watch this again and fuck me its still great, much better than the other 2 that followed it. I think this is the only one that makes you feel its in the normal everyday world with the possiblity something real fucked could really be going on - the rest are just cliche action flicks.

Some very funny quibs and one liners also :) 

4. Backpack

Backpack Scattershot who?

Fanboys (dvd)-

I don't know... I've been fallowing this one for a long time. Seems like it's been years since I first heard of it, and now it's finally out on DVD. Definalty liked the general idea, but what the hell? Is that the way fans come off? I mean I almost found it kind of offensive -plus it wasn't funny. I could take the hit if I was laughing my ass off, but I only had a few chuckles. On the other hand it wasn't unwatchable - if only because it centered around SW.

Star Trek TV and Movies (blu-ray)-

I had a lot of fun watching the TV series. Sitting down each morning and enjoying one episode a day (sometime two). I watched the updated effects episodes and to my suprise they were great. Very respectful of the original content -but added a nice boost to the entertainment value.

The films. My favorite three movies are Wrath of Kahn, Voyage Home, and The Undiscovered Country. I wasn't sure how they would hold up, because I haven't watched any of them for more than a decade. I loved them -and felt like I was watching movie-making at it's best. Were the films feel like they did everything right.

After watching Season 1, the orginal cast films, and the new movie..... I'm pretty much full from Star Trek. Time to unbutton my pants and take a break -no pie for me thanks.

5. Recall

Recall Player Select

News Credits:
    Hot Fuzz

Stll easily the most entertaining and watchable films i've got, i've watched it so many times and its still funny.

The pacing is perfect for myself and I could never get bored of the characters :) 

6. MegaPrime33

MegaPrime33 Follow me @NerdActivist TFW2005 Supporter

I tried watching The Spirit the other day. I got through 30 mins of it and turned it off. Just no.

I watched Hellboy 2 and thought it was pretty good, but a bit to mushy. I mean come on, there's no need for that.

I watched The Curious Case of Ben Button. Pretty good flick. I thought it was done well, good story, good direction. The cgi effects though weren't as impressive as people were saying, imo. A lot of scenes you could tell it was completely fake and they were trying to hard. All and all a good movie.

Next on my list is The Wrestler.