The Driller.

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by figsdad, Jan 29, 2012.

1. figsdad

figsdad Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Honest did we really needed to see some sort of driller in the film plus it wasted like 20mins of that building scene for the film that could of been used for more robots fighting ect..

Shockwave on his own would of been fine not some pet he rides around looking scary..

plus it would make Prime and him fight longer and make shockwave put up a better fight than in the film with the cgi of the building and the driller..

2. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP AKA Beve Stuscemi

News Credits:
    I firmly believe we did. It gave us a great, suspensful moment, it was a unique design that was a great alternative to "just another big robot" and was just a cool thing to look at. The way it snaked through the building and toppled it was fucking awesome as all hell. You couldn't get that with just a big robot.

By the way, it didn't last 20 minutes. It barely lasted five.

3. Noideaforaname

Noideaforaname Pico, let's go up to Zuma

News Credits:
    Shockwave could probably have done just about everything the Driller did himself, but it wouldn't look anywhere near as spectacular.

Soundwave, every Soundwave, could probably do just about everything he sends his minions to do himself, and save the various animators time and money, but he doesn't. Soundwave sending his "pets" to do his dirty work is just a lot cooler.

4. Ash from Carolina

Ash from Carolina Junior Smeghead

The Driller seemed like a waste of resources. Just not very interesting and one of the Decepticons would have looked cooler if they had a weapon so powerful that they could take down a building with it.

Worms should stay in Dune I wanted Transformers in my Transformers movie.

5. Soulmaster

Soulmaster Well-Known Member

waste of time and space xD Driller was... well, nothing, no character, no nothing (except maybe tentacles)

6. Ceasar121

Ceasar121 Wants a Toxitron repaint!

News Credits:
    ^ This. The driller is just another instance of Bay doing too much, when it's not needed. The battlesuit in Avatar was cooler than that dumbass driller, which made things even more impersonal.

I'd have rather seen Shockwave charge his cannon and fire a shot so powerful it made the building topple, Optimus saving humans with the flight tech, and then getting shot out of the sky, leading to a battle between him and Shockwave.

If the Driller didn't cost so much to animate and waste so many resources, I'd have been cool with it. As it stands, it detracted from the characters onscreen, adding nothing other than it toppled a building.

If all I'm going to get is cool shit to look at, I'd rather see more personal robot vs robot battles than a throwaway 'worm topples building' moment.

7. arcee101

arcee101 wrecker

Agree. Man I love your sig!

8. PrimusVsUnicron

PrimusVsUnicron Well-Known Member

Its the drill that will pierce the heavens!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

9. Nachtsider

Nachtsider Banned

News Credits:
    I'd rather have gotten something more relevant, like Trypticon, for instance.

10. soundwaverulls

soundwaverulls Well-Known Member

The Driller was just a wast of time and animation. It was even a wast of a chance to bring back the Dweller. It was not important, hard to kill, a well known character or a character at all.

It would be cooler to see Shockwave shoot down the building with several huge shots, taking several moments to charge each one. The scene would need a lot of cuts between character and angles and perhaps a bit of cheating by taking a out a few of the cannon shots and skipping to a more damaged building, with the cuts making it hard to notice, so the scene wouldn't be boring.

It would have made Shockwave look cooler instead of making the Cons look weaker by having the Autobots kill their giant beast and also give him some much needed extra screen time. Plus not having it would give Shockwave, a Transformer, a reason to transform.

Not having the driller may even have allowed more screen time for TFs other than Shockwave.

11. Kaymac

Kaymac I'M REALLY FEELIN' IT!

I liked the driller, but I think things would've better if that thing was actually Shockwave's alt-mode. It would be a lot smaller, but at least Shockwave's scenes wouldn't have been stolen by his pet.

12. Nachtsider

Nachtsider Banned

News Credits:
    ... I won't lie; this is one of the most original suggestions I've heard hereabouts. And one I can thoroughly get behind.

13. soundwaverulls

I've heard the Driller being SW before but I agree with whoever thought it up. If it was you Kaymac, good job.

14. Kaymac

Kaymac I'M REALLY FEELIN' IT!

Thank you. The thing is, I was actually inspired by certain reviewers and those less knowledgeable about TFs that actually confused Shockwave for the Driller, or that the Driller was an extension of him, etc. and I though that if the Driller just WAS Shockwave it would clear up a lot of confusion and also it would be cool, and Shockwave would have actually turned into something, and also, we wouldn't have to worry about not getting a Driller toy because Shockwave's toy and the Driller's would be the same toy!

15. SGTsoundwave

SGTsoundwave Steam Powered Automaton

and THAT is why we have third parties

16. Sso02V

Sso02V Injector Has a Posse

News Credits:
    Or, instead of having to cut away every other second, and hang on a robot shooting a gun at a stationary target, they could have a mile-long hellworm made of razor blades and anger tunnel through the building and rip it apart from the inside.

17. soundwaverulls

That solves one problem.