The Dresden Files

Discussion in 'Comic Books and Graphic Novels' started by Honorbound, Apr 26, 2012.

1. Honorbound

Honorbound Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    I've read all thirteen books in this series so many times I've lost count - Jim Butcher is that great. His characters are very well-written and human, his villains are damned terrifying and excellent depictions of evil, his plots are brilliant, and his humor is damned hysterical, and his action scenes are right up there with Michael Bay.

As with his other series, Codex Alera, Jim can take a cliche and breathe life into it, making it enjoyable and unique again. You don't even care that you think you've seen it before, you've never seen it done the way he does it. At least, that's how I feel.

Does anyone else follow his work?

2. Gort

Gort Klaatu barada nikto TFW2005 Supporter

I'm a fan of the Dresden Files and even the short-lived TV show it spawned. I like how Butcher weaves Christian mythology throughout the stories rather than ignoring it completely as many fantasy series do. The Fallen Angels and the swords of the cross are great parts of the stories and I'm dying to see Murphy accept one of the swords.

3. CyrDraconis

CyrDraconis Well-Known Member

Coworker got me started on the series; I'm in book 3 now. Been some excellent light mystery-fantasy. I've heard it described as 'Angst-less World of Darkness', and I don't disagree.

...yeah, Bob rocks.

4. Doctor Doom

Doctor Doom Doom is best pony Veteran

I have most of the books in paperback and in the process of downloading the rest onto my Kindle Fire (I'm up to Dead Beat at the moment). I have not encountered an author that really captured my imagination and find the series to be very enjoyable since reading the Drizit books from R.A. Salvatore. With Cold Days coming out sometime this fall I will at least reread the series twice.

Also Codex Alera is excellent... and I will have to download that series as well (have all the books but my ereader is so damn convenient).

Also the Dresden Files RPG is out. Damn interesting game system and has annotations from Harry, Billy the Werewolf, and Bob. Covers the major powers of the Dresdinverse and offers some insight on various characters and locations. Sadly it covers the materials up to Small Favor.

5. Honorbound

Honorbound Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Gort: the Christian mythology is one of the best parts, since Jim treats it with respect. Michael Carpenter, the resident paladin, is the best depiction I've ever seen. He's a genuinely good man who happens to kick all kinds of evil ass.

CyrDraconis: Ah, you're on the "shit hits the fan" book; well, one of them, at any rate. Things definitely get worse for Harry.

Doctor Doom: Oh, you're on a good one. Jim definitely knows his trade.