The Dreaded Question...Encore or G1

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by megamus, Jan 9, 2009.

1. megamus

megamus Overworked and Underpaid Veteran

News Credits:
    A while ago I asked a question about whether to keep my G1 vintage Transformers or go with the Takara Bookstyle. I opted for my G1's as I thought they would not release them all. Now with the news about Bruticus I have to wonder, where will it end. Now I really do not want this to be a debate on money versus collecting but let's be realistic, if I collect loose Transformers does it matter what box they came out of? For those of you who know me or have seem my collection, we are talking about A LOT of Transformers. Also, I am not hurting for money or anything like that. I could use a few extra bucks for Botcon and such but nothing that I could not live without. I was thinking of starting with the oldest and going forward or keeping things as they are.

I had the same problem with G.I.Joes and opted for the new 25th Joes. I feel I made the right choice but that was more because I liked the new ones better. Kinda the same problem but not exactly.

2. Red Alert

Red Alert Security

News Credits:
    Stick with g1 and fill in with the newer encores since it is tough to find mint g1 bots without paying a fortune.

3. blahduh

blahduh Well-Known Member

if you don't really care about boxes, I don't see why you want encore. I can get a complete g1 bruticus cheaper than the BBTS price. Sure the encore "might" be minty, but plastic quality g1 is still superior.(And it's a 20 year old toy)

4. megamus

megamus Overworked and Underpaid Veteran

News Credits:
    If you look on ebay and such, combiners have gone thru the roof. I've seen them go as high as $150 and the condition is not as good. I am really hoping they do a repaint japanese version. That would rock.

5. Powersa

Powersa Car Robots

News Credits:
    Encore. Nothing beats a fresh new Omega Supreme or Sky Lynx in box.

6. AMG

AMG Old School

I want the original TF released over a reissue, but that's just my preference.

If getting Encore bots is just as satisfying to collect for you as G1 originals, then go for that.

7. Max-prime

Max-prime Supreme-Commander

News Credits:
    If your not hurting for cash then get them both your Orig. G1's are a piece of history and by now 25 years later pretty scarce while the Encores would allow you to keep/display a G1 collection and not worrying about damaging or losing something valuable not just money-wise but probably to yourself as a collector.

8. Paladine

Paladine Well-Known Member

I've been choosing Encore because I know they'll last longer. G1 toys already have 20+ years of wear on them, while the Encores have zero.

9. T-Logicon

T-Logicon assembles the drones

I like them both. I like the box art thats very faithful to the boxes I had as a kid. Very displayable. The encore toys have been pretty solid so far--very impressed so far. I do have alot of G1 originals. There is something to be said about restoring a 24yr+ old toy to look almost brand new, however I still love a box fresh minty new toy. I'll probably get the Bruticus after it's out for a while. The combiner boxsets look awesome.(especially the decepticons) Try to find an original on ebay or anywhere on the secondary market and pay less than $500. I hope the encore line keeps rolling onward.

10. Foster

Foster Super Mod

News Credits:
    I have I'd say 70-80% of G1 and I still love buying the reissues. I love the little improvements and want to have the best possible version of the mold in the best possible condition.

After collecting the TFC line, including re-buying toys that I already had, I myself was less interested in the vintage and was able to let it go. I didn't need both the TFC Blaster and a vintage one, so now those surplus 'bots are in someone else's collection and are appreciated more.

11. Easterling Capt

Easterling Capt I am Vern Schillinger

Ebay:
    First off.

a minty, nice stickerd, tight joints complete ORIGINAL G1 bot will still cost alot of money even when it is loose.

Second,

To find the above is hard and once they come out for sale you usually have to battle for them.

Third,

Yes the KO and reissus from TT brings the value down a little,(look at Swoop with his KO, or the Predaking reissue). But the point is that vintage is vintage and most of it will hold the value.

Fourth.

it all depends on you. Some like to mix new and vintage, some stay only new because of tighter budget of money. Me I was a mixer first. These days I am all vintage but I do buy reissue stuff and recolors, I jus todnt display them outof the boxes.

12. ckhtiger

ckhtiger old skool fool

as someone who completed my collection of loose 84-85 bots JUST before they went on the reissuing bonanza in 2002-2003, I'd have to say that if I knew that I could get the reissues for less than the loose g1's, I'd have done it. so if you don't already have the figure, get the encore. if you do have the vintage one, and it's either worn out (loose joints, paint/chrome wear) or broken/missing pieces, then replace it.

but I can't see buying a reissue if you've got a perfectly good original, unless it's an absolute favorite figure and you want to have a new one to fiddle with. case in point, I LOVE the vintage 280zx/porsche mold, and all of the 84 bots, for that matter. so just to have them on my desk, even though I have the vintage ones I bought reissues of all of them to have guys that I could transform a bunch without worrying about breaking a 25 year old figure.

13. Lbsammills51

Lbsammills51 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    You could do it multiple ways with both lines. You could keep your originals out for display in a secure place (or however you have them set up) while picking up the Encores and keeping them in the box (they won't be worth as much as an original G1 MISB, but certainly much more affordable). You could also do, as was suggested, pick up all the Encores while focusing on the originals that don't have Encore releases and, for all you know, may never get them. They may end up getting Encore releases later (some molds that were 'lost' have popped up, now the recent releases of things like Skylynx, Omega Supreme and Bruticus have people, myself included, thinking other molds are possible that didn't seem so likely before). What I do think is that, if you stuck with Encore, there's still a genuine risk that a 'complete' line of Transformers (meaning almost everything from G1, or at least all the core characters plus a few others) may never happen if some molds are genuinely lost/destroyed and Takara's unwilling to reproduce them. The only thing that sucks is good condition G1s can be pricey (I found that out with Soundwave, but got lucky with Grimlock). If money's not a problem for you, I'd suggest picking up G1 'bots that don't have Encore releases, at the very least, and leave the decision on those with Encore releases up to you. You can't go wrong either way, as both have positives in their favor.

14. mweeuser

mweeuser Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I had the same debat in the last years and I picked up my existing collection and started completing things as I wanted. I have mose of the first 2 years g1 but was missing a few here and there and some have been reissued. I have bought and sold tons of stuff on ebay in that time so I can pick out items I need and resell the rest. I have sold a complete metroplex and complete skylynx a month or so after both came out as encore and they sold for about the same price as the encores or a somewhat under. I think there are enough people concerned with true g1 (as I am now) so unless you really just want to have a brand new toy and don't care about it being a true 80's collection (which I find to be part of pride of my collection) I would definately stay with g1 stuff.

15. Soundwave84

Soundwave84 Banned

News Credits:
    Is Encore hard to transform with all of it being in a foreign language?

16. MekaGojira3k

MekaGojira3k Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I never use instructions on TFs, and since these things are G1 it's not that hard.

17. Soundwave84

Soundwave84 Banned

News Credits:
    oh good point

18. Foster

Foster Super Mod

News Credits:
    You can also find the G1 instructions in our Resources pages. That's what I've used on a few toys I've bought loose. Gives me the confidence I won't break a vintage piece, especially if joints are stiff at first.

19. slugslinger2004

slugslinger2004 TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I'd say both. Sometimes I can find a lot of loose G1 bots cheaper than some reissues. I have no problem with my G1 Soundwave and Perceptor, even though I'd love to have the reissues with no play wear.

If you are thinking about buying vintage G1 toys, your best bet is anything released after 1987 that's not a popular character. Toys such as Triggerhappy, Joyride, and Submarauder are likely not to be reissued so I went ahead and bought the 2 out of the 3.

20. Weirdwolf

Weirdwolf TFYLP Podcast Founder TFW2005 Supporter

Bottom line is, I go with what I like. If I like an Encore more than the vintage, I'll buy it; likewise with the vintage. Case in point, I like Encore Omega more than the vintage. The face behind the visor just "does" it for me.

I, too, enjoy the new 25th Ann. Joes. I've been buying a lot of that stuff lately. The detail is great, and I enjoy owning toys/characters I never had.