The DragonBall Z Kai Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Movies and Television' started by TMIIWonkoNemi, May 26, 2010.

1. TMIIWonkoNemi

TMIIWonkoNemi Well-Known Member

Well,since Nicktoons have been airing the series for a couple of days now,I'd like to know your thoughts on the re-release of a classic anime.

2. Sideswipe1954

Sideswipe1954 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    The theme song is lacking, but otherwise it has been so long since I have seen it originally, I have no idea if there are any true differences

3. TMIIWonkoNemi

I noticed a few differences here and there.It's true to the Japanese treatment in terms of script and music...though,censorship still lingers,probably a lot worse than what FUNimation/Ocean Studios did with it the first time.

4. soundwaveCA

soundwaveCA Veteran

News Credits:
    I'm not interested in Dragonball in the slightest but I'm hearing Kai makes Dragonball Z watchable as it's pretty much cut down the number of episodes in half.

5. TJOmega

TJOmega The Plastic Addict Content Contributor

News Credits:
    Yeah but it's not just the episode number cut down, it's all the junk made just to stretch the length removed, including the in-episode filler material like extended screams, charge-ups, and drawn out fight moments. So even fight scenes are better paced. Watching the original recently and now Kai the differences are massive, so much filler is gone now and the script is a lot more respectable, it actually makes the show fairly brisk in pacing.

I'm watching the DVD though, I'm sure the censoring makes it worse on the TV version. (It is so weird hearing Goku swear...) Seeing the raws of Kai, they also have some censoring like the hole in Goku's gut being drawn over, so if you're watching the DVDs of this version, it's pretty faithful.

6. TMIIWonkoNemi

So it some ways it's a blessing in disguise for the series,but I will miss the extended screaming,oh well,it's easier on the voice actors.

The only peeve is that they did censor some of the violence in,such as the blood,but that's bound to happen with the network and it's airtime,but the fast-paced fist combat is still intact.I really am interested in this version,and,with any luck,I could go back to the original DragonBall Z...at least the original FUNimation version.

7. Optimus1986

Optimus1986 TMNT & Hulk Fanatic

Does this show have a tie-in toy line coming or out now? I hope so. Been a while since I've had any Z toys.

8. TMIIWonkoNemi

Who knows,but,since most cartoons are associated with toys,DragonBall Z Kai won't be an exception.

9. TJOmega

News Credits:
    So far just the S.H. Figuarts DBZ toys from Japan, they're branded for Kai. Piccolo and Super Saiyan Goku are out now, SSJ Vegeta and Gohan to follow. But as for American-shop toys? Not a thing yet.

10. G1Wheeljack

G1Wheeljack Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Damn, I thought it was showing on Nicktoons(which I don't have). I'll have to start watching. Has Funimation started streaming it anywhere?

11. Mumps

Mumps <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and

I bought the first volume of the Blu-ray and have since watched all 13 episodes. Brings back memories! My only problem is that it was only 13 eps, and I want more! haha
    *waits for the next Blu-ray release*

12. metcar

metcar mmm donut!

hmm seems theres 2 versions of the US theme the nicktoons version sung by the guy who dubbed broly in the US edit of the broly movies. and the dvd version sung by the guy who voices goku in kai

13. Keroshino

Keroshino OOGA, OOGA, OOGA-CHAKA!!!

News Credits:
    It was performed by "Sean Schemmel" the english voice of Goku

EDIT!!!!!!!
    OK found the "Vic Mignogna" TV version... XP

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 12, 2016
  14. lord ginrai

lord ginrai Beastie lover

News Credits:
    There's definately two versions of the US opening. The one sung by Sean suffers from severe auto-tuning, uugh.

Loving Dragonball Z Kai so far though. The pacing is so much better han the original cut. I also ended up watching the dvd release. Saw the first episode aired by Nicktoons and noticed they (badly) replaced Master Roshi's beer with milk :p 

Can't wait for the rest of the episodes. The series is supposedly brought down to 99 episodes instead of the original 270 something. That's a huge change!

15. TMIIWonkoNemi

I was laughing when I saw that for the second time.The original FUNimation/Ocean Studios versions actually coloured it darker to make the beer into apple and/or orange juice,which is justified...but,milk?lol

16. Tkemert20

Tkemert20 「Dojyaaa~n」 TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Loving it so far, grew up with the original and haven't watched it in years. They better have the "IT'S OVER 9000!" quote, or I'll be pissed.

17. Dormamu

Dormamu I am Broot.

News Credits:
    Sooooo.....same plot, half the diarrhea power up face.

18. TJOmega

News Credits:
    Uh... prepare to be pissed. That was a mistranslation in the previous dubs, and because this script is giving the same respect to the manga source that the show itself does, it's been corrected to 8000.

19. Shadow25

Shadow25 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    ...Yup. And I was liking it a lot up until then. Now... my faith is shaken :lol .

20. mx-01 archon

mx-01 archon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Not to mention that the whole bluster of that "Over 9000!!!!" bit was all on Brian Drummond, of the Ocean Studios dub. Since Kai is being dubbed in-house by Funimation, it won't be the same.